Navigator of the Seas Christmas Sailing

mbanx

We travelled on Navigator of the Seas as a family Christmas vacation. A short summary and highlights from the trip. Travelled with my wife and two teenage kids (one boy, one girl).

Stayed at Hampton Inn & Suites (Miami Brickell Downtown)the night before. Hotel was good, didn’t use many of the services but the check-in was smooth. Good pub just a few steps from the front door. The hotel stay included hot breakfast which has a very good selection. We also booked a deal thru cruise critic and got two shuttle seats to port included. Purchased an additional two shuttle seats ($8/pp).

As always we were up early the day of the cruise excited for our adventure. We were at Starbucks down the street by 6 am! Took a 10:30 shuttle and arrived at the port (~10-15 min ride). Check-in was very smooth and we walked right thru all the various security and check-in lines. We were on board by 11:30 and rooms were available by 1:00.

We had a balcony room with kids directly across the hall in an interior stateroom. Rooms were in good condition and our room steward was excellent. Always very friendly and the room was kept clean with a few towel animals on various nights.

The cruise director was Cuddy who did a fine job. He was funny during the belly flop competition and Love and Marriage game. The nightly entertainment was some of the best I’ve seen (we’ve been on 8 cruises). The juggling act, the hypnotist and comedian were top notch.

We didn’t use the pools at all but they did look busy, but not as noticeable of a party atmosphere on the pool deck as some of the other cruise lines (i.e. Norwegian and Carnival). There was the normal completion for deck chairs, but in my opinion, if you want a seat by the pool get there early. If you just want a seat there were lots available especially on Deck 13 fwd.

We ate a Giovanni’s (twice), Sabor and Chops. I was a little disappointed with Chops but Giovanni’s was outstanding. The food was fabulous and our waiter (Johnathan) was awesome. The main dining room service staff was also very good and we enjoyed having dinner there all the other nights. I must say, I can’t get over some guests on board and their need to complain. One morning at breakfast in the dining room,a couple was seated at a table next to us. After maybe two minutes the man got up muttering ‘this table is awful,no one has come to see us yet’ and went to complain. Relax people you are on vacation, the staff are working hard. In my opinion there are many people with expectations that are too high.

Since we were sailing over Christmas the kids got a free gift from Santa and there were lots of other Christmas/holiday themed events. Well done by Royal.

We all ordered the beverage package and internet combo before we sailed. The internet was brutal,awful, and terrible. Royal should be embarrassed by the price they charge for the service provided. One day my daughter couldn’t login atall. Only after standing in line at the Voom desk with 20 other people was the problem resolved. Royal needs to work on this big time.

At Labadee our ‘Speedboat and Snorkeling’ excursion unfortunately got cancelled. Boat motor issues after first tour of the morning (we were booked at 11:00 tour).

Curacao was spent walking downtown to do some shopping but it appeared that a number of the stores were closed (due to boxing day?). We had reserved a beach day at the Curacao Hilton (thru Resort for a Day website). The resort was nice but beach very small and crowded, tough to get achair. However, the snorkeling (equipmentfor rent on site) was outstanding. Bestof the beach snorkeling I’ve seen. Day included $25 food/beverage voucher for each person. We ate in pool side restaurant with service very very slow and food just okay.

Bonaire we went snorkeling with Epic Tours Bonaire. We did a last minute booking (after Labadee excursion fell thru). They were quick torespond (even on Christmas day). Great excursion with a nice sail and the snorkeling was outstanding. Good amount of fish like Curacao but the coral was even better. We were also very surprised by the amount of shopping available at this port, we had not expected much based on pre-trip reading, however we were wrong. Nice shopping areas and very friendly people.

Last stop was Aruba and did the De Palm Island excursion booked thru Royal. Okay excursion, not the best of views (with power plant or something on the shore). Generally pretty crowded but overall the family had fun. Snorkeling, zip line, airjumpers and other activities available.

All trips must come to an end unfortunately. Debarkation was okay, about 30 minutes behind schedule from our designated times but generally pretty efficient. We were at the airport by 11 and on our wayhome.

Overall a great trip, Royal did a good job and Navigator of the Seas is a great size ship in my opinion. Lots of things to do, easy to navigate and never seemed overly crowded.

We just booked for dec 2018 not christmas. We've always sailed carnival. This will be a first rc and first with just hubby and I. What are the mdr foods like vs the other dining areas. Can you tell me what time the shows generally are at?

Thanks in advance

We were on the same trip. Glad you had a great time. So did we. Funny how we did completely different things though. I would recommend renting a golf cart in Bonaire. We drove around the whole island. Spent about six hours doing so. It was an eye opener and it showed us different sights of the island that we would never have imagined existed. Desolate rocky areas by the southern coast. Mountainous areas full of cacti that really resembled areas out west in the US. Another area that reminded us of Australia's outback. It was all very interesting. Well worth the time and straining calf muscles from pushing the gas pedal, lol! :)

We just booked for dec 2018 not christmas. We've always sailed carnival. This will be a first rc and first with just hubby and I. What are the mdr foods like vs the other dining areas. Can you tell me what time the shows generally are at?

Thanks in advance

I found the selection in the MDR to be pretty good. All four of us always found something to eat. And for me it was normally a tough decision (so i always had two appetizers!). The specialty restaurants did have a higher quality of food and presentation but I was overall happy with all the food. We only ate in windjammer a couple of times for lunch.

I recall the first show was generally at 730 or 745. However I think a few may have been 830.

We were on the same trip. Glad you had a great time. So did we. Funny how we did completely different things though. I would recommend renting a golf cart in Bonaire. We drove around the whole island. Spent about six hours doing so. It was an eye opener and it showed us different sights of the island that we would never have imagined existed. Desolate rocky areas by the southern coast. Mountainous areas full of cacti that really resembled areas out west in the US. Another area that reminded us of Australia's outback. It was all very interesting. Well worth the time and straining calf muscles from pushing the gas pedal, lol! :)

Sounds fun. It was my first time at Bonaire and I really liked it. Our tour guide mentioned new non-stop flights from Miami and Toronto starting. Island may start to become more popular.

Thanks for the review! Did the ship change to local time for the ABCs, or stay on Miami time? Thanks!

Ship time went ahead one hour (I think on day2?) and stayed that way until last night when we returned to Miami.

We were also on this cruise (family of 4 with 2 teenagers) and had a wonderful time. Loved the entertainment and cruise director's staff - top notch. We weren't impressed with our service in the Main Dining Room though. The servers are just too busy. Meals were taking over 2 hours and things we ordered were forgotten more than once. If you wanted to sit on Deck 11 by the pool, you had to get there early to get a lounger in the sun, and you had to stay there, as staff would tag the chairs that were not occupied and removed things after 30 minutes. We were able to get loungers on Deck 12 or 11 and had very relaxing sea days.

I agree with this... I started to write my little story but decided it would hijack this thread so I'll start another thread. The cruise was awesome.... so many fun things but the main dining room was awful.

We were also on this cruise (family of 4 with 2 teenagers) and had a wonderful time. Loved the entertainment and cruise director's staff - top notch. We weren't impressed with our service in the Main Dining Room though. The servers are just too busy. Meals were taking over 2 hours and things we ordered were forgotten more than once. If you wanted to sit on Deck 11 by the pool, you had to get there early to get a lounger in the sun, and you had to stay there, as staff would tag the chairs that were not occupied and removed things after 30 minutes. We were able to get loungers on Deck 12 or 11 and had very relaxing sea days.

We were also on this cruise. Overall, this cruise was one of the best. We do not normally eat in MDR, but are there 5 times this cruise, and have to agree - it was not the best. Our servers were pretty good, but the food ranged from mediocre to poor. We found that the food in WJ was superior. But we love bed the ship, the ports, and entertainment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My wife and I were also on this cruise and dined on Level 4 of the MDR every night. We found the food to be delicious, especially the strip steak, steak Diane and lobster. Our waiters, Noel and Voladymyr, were GREAT! Prompt, courteous and fun. Food was always served timely and hot. Our table mates also expressed their satisfaction quite often.

My wife and I were also on this cruise and dined on Level 4 of the MDR every night. We found the food to be delicious, especially the strip steak, steak Diane and lobster. Our waiters, Noel and Voladymyr, were GREAT! Prompt, courteous and fun. Food was always served timely and hot. Our table mates also expressed their satisfaction quite often.

That is fantastic for you! I certainly wasn't trying to imply that service was bad across the entire MDR. My servers were the worst I have had on 8 sailings. I have specifics but am trying to write it up for it's own thread. However, I am not silly enough to say it ruined my cruise. I will say this is the first cruise where I skipped the MDR once just because I knew the service was just not worth the effort of going.

Overall a great trip, Royal did a good job and Navigator of the Seas is a great size ship in my opinion. Lots of things to do, easy to navigate and never seemed overly crowded.

Thanks, lots of interesting information.

I was on this sailing as well. found MDR service fantastic, our server was EDI at table 340 if you want to try and get him. remembered everything we liked. food not so great. biggest problem on this ship was the lack of free dining, only royal promenade,windjammer,or MDR. not even 24 hr frozen yogurt. only option for late pm dining was royal promenade for over 3000 people! windjammer closed at 9 pm.

not to be missed--quest with cuddy. hysterical and family friendly! hypnotist also amazing.

shows were usually 7:45 or 9:45,sometimes 10;30.

thanks for the review, i sail in feb! Do you remember when the drink card was offered or any drink specials beyond drink of the day? We opted to not go for the beverage package this cruise but still dont want to break the bank!

I don't recall seeing any drink specials, however, we had the drink package so I wasn't watching too closely.

Have a fun trip!