Transferring from one ship to another in Ft. Lauderdale?

LYNNF

Has anyone transferred from one cruise line (Celebrity) to another (RCCL) in Ft. Lauderdale? What is the best way to do it? Worried taxi drivers won't be too happy for a short taxi fare. Can they refuse? Thanks for any help.

Most end up taking a taxi. I've read about som sort of crew shuttle that will take guests, but have seen no details. Speak to Guest Services.

One option is to take a taxi to Total Wine or Publix just outside the port entrance and stock up. :)

Its been 2 years but we transferred for free between two Royal ship in Fort Lauderdale. We asked one of the Royal Caribbean agents about the shuttle right after we cleared customs. They put us on the airport shuttle which then made stops at each Royal and Celebrity ship in port that day. It took a while since they waited for the buss to fill up but we were still early for check-in.

In Miami there is a shuttle that will drive people and luggage from ship to ship. No one but the traffic cops seemed to know about it. Ask a few people once you leave the terminal before taking a taxi. I couldn't find any info before or after my cruise. Enjoy your cruises!

We did it a couple of years ago. There was talk about being able to get the shuttle in the way mentioned above although others said it wouldn't be possible. We asked at Guest Services and they said they didn't provide shuttles between terminals to change ships. The time waiting for shuttles, waiting for them to fill up and not knowing what the route would be just sounded too complicated so in the end we got a taxi as others on these boards had mentioned that the taxi drivers are obliged to take you but you should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount to compensate them for the short journey and having to rejoin the back of the line. I think the suggested amount was somewhere between $10 and $20 but am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Another suggestion was to take the shuttle to the parking garage and catch a new shuttle from there.

We did it a couple of years ago. There was talk about being able to get the shuttle in the way mentioned above although others said it wouldn't be possible. We asked at Guest Services and they said they didn't provide shuttles between terminals to change ships. The time waiting for shuttles, waiting for them to fill up and not knowing what the route would be just sounded too complicated so in the end we got a taxi as others on these boards had mentioned that the taxi drivers are obliged to take you but you should be prepared to pay a reasonable amount to compensate them for the short journey and having to rejoin the back of the line. I think the suggested amount was somewhere between $10 and $20 but am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Another suggestion was to take the shuttle to the parking garage and catch a new shuttle from there.

OK, but a taxi, has a meter, so the amount to pay is what the meter says. As far as getting in the back of the line they will pick up a fare, take them to a hotel or airport. Basically they go back and forth, so each fare they take, they make money, and therefore, the short trips, add up. I have often taken trips less than 2 miles.

OK, but a taxi, has a meter, so the amount to pay is what the meter says. As far as getting in the back of the line they will pick up a fare, take them to a hotel or airport. Basically they go back and forth, so each fare they take, they make money, and therefore, the short trips, add up. I have often taken trips less than 2 miles.

Not sure how much the meter would say for a trip of a few hundred yards but my understanding (from what I was told on these boards when I made a similar enquiry as the OP, but a few years ago) was that once they have picked someone up they then have to join the back of the line of taxis at the port. Thus they may only a have few dollars on the meter and end up having to wait almost double the time before they pick up another fare. This is just answering the OP, about travelling a few hundred yards between berths within the port - not travelling short distances to hotels/airport.

I made a reservation for parking at the Park n go (cruise portion.) Before I put in my reservation, I called and spoke to a person there. He said to park for the entire time. Once I am off the ship, just tell the driver which ship I need to transfer to. I do not have to go back to the lot. I am on the Harmony of the Seas on 1-27-18. Happy Sailing! Happy New Year 2018.

Presumably with a $20 bill in hand, the trip would be off meter.

The parking garage has a shuttle that takes people to the farther away ships. It is free. That is the free shuttle, located at the mid-port parking garage. This ramp serves Cruise Terminals 19, 21, 22/24, 25, 26, 27 and 29. Because it is the shuttle for the parking garage asking for the shuttle from one ship to the other won't work. It doesn't exist. Sorry if I misunderstood with the first post. It might be easier to figure out which terminal your first ship comes in on and which terminal your second ship sails from. In one case my parents were on HAL and it docked at 21, with our RCC ship (the one they were getting on with us) in 25. They literally just had to walk across the street. Nice map of the entire port and parking can be found here: http://www.porteverglades.net/cruising/parking/