Oasis craft beer

Technically, you have a point on SN. Same could be said about Stones. But never said Red Stripe was craft. Just that it was on board.

You mentioned Angel City being brewed out of Florida Beer. Are you referring to Florida Beer Company in Cape Canaveral? I go to the taproom a few times a month when I go to the beach, was just there Saturday actually. They brew quite an interesting mixture of brands there.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here's a handy reference from Cruise Critic. I've always heard NCL is the go-to for quality beer - https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2120

And Carnival has Cigar City...NICE. RCI has some serious catching up to do.

NCL did a very good job with the District Brew House. Granted, if you live in South Florida then the selection is "eh" but good for a cruise. If you aren't from South Florida, the selection is more "crafty." They just have the typical volume stuff you get at almost any bar around here, but it's really good beer.

Craft beer is practically nonexistent on RC. Sierra Nevada is mass market, certainly not craft. And Red Stripe? That's as common as a Heineken.

Being a beer nerd (snob?) I have to step in on any discussion that discusses what "craft" is and isn't. Sierra Nevada was listed as producing ~1.25million barrels annually, and the brewer's association defines craft as producing less than 6million barrels annually (< 3% of US market share), so they have some more room to grow before they're no longer craft. The definition of craft beer as it relates to volume has been revised several times, purportedly with the goal of keeping the largest craft brewer (Sam Adams) in the "craft" beer category.

That being said, Sierra Nevada PA is a refreshing step up from the otherwise abysmal selection available no matter whether you'd consider it craft or not. It is too bad, given the growing appreciation for a greater variety of beer styles (pale ales, IPAs, etc) that the selection onboard RCI ships (and most cruise ships in general) is limited typically to mass market Pilsners (Heine), light American lagers (BMC), and island beer (Red Stripe).

Find me at Bow and Stern if you want to discuss. I'll be rapidly depleting their supply of Stone IPA with my deluxe drink package.

Edited by SailorTodd
My < 3% was translated to a heart when I omitted the space...

Hoping for a good craft beer in Nov for my husband. He will be very happy if they have a few.

Anyone know if the have any Italian or Japanese beer? Hoping at the speciality restaurants at least.

Saporo was available in Izumi in Oct.

Being a beer nerd (snob?) I have to step in on any discussion that discusses what "craft" is and isn't. Sierra Nevada was listed as producing ~1.25million barrels annually, and the brewer's association defines craft as producing less than 6million barrels annually (< 3% of US market share), so they have some more room to grow before they're no longer craft. The definition of craft beer as it relates to volume has been revised several times, purportedly with the goal of keeping the largest craft brewer (Sam Adams) in the "craft" beer category.

That being said, Sierra Nevada PA is a refreshing step up from the otherwise abysmal selection available no matter whether you'd consider it craft or not. It is too bad, given the growing appreciation for a greater variety of beer styles (pale ales, IPAs, etc) that the selection onboard RCI ships (and most cruise ships in general) is limited typically to mass market Pilsners (Heine), light American lagers (BMC), and island beer (Red Stripe).

Find me at Bow and Stern if you want to discuss. I'll be rapidly depleting their supply of Stone IPA with my deluxe drink package.

I couldn't fail to disagree with you more ;p

(y)

dp

They had negra modello last time I was on. It is an outstanding beer. While it is a Mexican beer it is Munich style dunkel. I don’t think it qualifies as a craft beer but it is a great tasting beer.

Ships obviously have to keep it to a manageable inventory and with the thousands of craft beers they clearly can’t carry many of them. Given how they all vary so much it would be hard for a ship to carry too much of any type and customs wouldn’t know much about any of them.

Navigator was out of many top tasting beers with 3 nights to go. The only had one IPA which also sold out quickly.

Plenty of American domestic ( no real crafts).

I was pleasantly surprised by Modelo....but they ran out after the 3rd day of a 9 day cruise. Newcastle was right behind it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Navigator was out of many top tasting beers with 3 nights to go. The only had one IPA which also sold out quickly.

Plenty of American domestic ( no real crafts).

I was pleasantly surprised by Modelo....but they ran out after the 3rd day of a 9 day cruise. Newcastle was right behind it.

Last time on Allure they had Modelo and Modelo Negro.

I usually like dark beers but the Negro was too bitter for me. I really liked the regular Modelo.

I think Schooners had the best selection if I remember correctly.

Bill

Last time on Allure they had Modelo and Modelo Negro.

I usually like dark beers but the Negro was too bitter for me. I really liked the regular Modelo.

I think Schooners had the best selection if I remember correctly.

Bill

Navigator only had the Negro......I thought it was one of the better beers I tried on board until they ran out. I don't mind a bit of a bitter taste though.

Hoping for a good craft beer in Nov for my husband. He will be very happy if they have a few.

Anyone know if the have any Italian or Japanese beer? Hoping at the speciality restaurants at least.

Not sure about Japanese, but I drank a lot of Boddingtons and Fullers London Pride on the Independence in December. Made me long to return to London.