5 Days/4 Nights in Ireland

There is a possibility that we can change our flights to arrive in either Cork or Shannon instead of Dublin. This will minimize the driving time. I am leaning towards Shannon since that is where we will depart from at the end of the trip. This will help with the car rental price as we would not have to pay the one-way drop off fee. With that said, any advice on the itineraries below:

Sat: Fly into Shannon. Either overnight in Limerick or Galway.

Sun: Cliffs of Mohar and then to Killarney. Overnight in Killarney.

Mon: Ring of Kerry or visit Dingle. Overnight in Killarney

Tues: Ring of Kerry or visit Dingle. Overnight in Bunratty.

Wed: Fly from Shannon to Edinburgh.

or

Sat: Fly into Shannon. Either overnight in Killarney.

Sun: Ring of Kerry or visit Dingle. Overnight in Killarney

Mon: Ring of Kerry or visit Dingle. Overnight in Killarney

Tues: "Cork and Rock of Cashel" OR Cilffs of Mohar. Overnight in Bunratty.

Wed: Fly from Shannon to Edinburgh.

We are going for scenery and getting to meet locals.

Also, with this change, are the roads easy to navigate and paved? I am debating on whether to keep the automatic SUVs we rented or go with smaller cars with manual transmission.

Our neighbors rented a car in Scotland this summer. They were there while we were on our British isles cruise, but we did not run into them. Anyway, they said it was worth the extra cost to have an automatic transmission. Even if you're used to driving a manual car, it's different having to shift with your left hand instead of your right while also driving on the opposite side of the road than you're used to.

Hi, both those options look like very comprehensive tours to me (a Dublin native) ....a lot of driving though! If choosing, i would certainly recommend Galway city over Limerick... given that you are interested in scenery i suggest you have a look at The Wild Atlantic Way - a coastal route which brings you the most scenic way around the West / south west of the country. IMHO you will be fine in a automatic, if that is your driving preference.

I am a Cork native. If you are used to a automatic car I would stick to that.

Now the roads in all the areas you want to go to are very narrow and very twisty. The journey you will be doing will be a lot longer than the distances would suggest.

At points you won't be able to drive an faster than 30 mph. Also be aware of fog, rain and mist. The west of Ireland is the wettest part of Ireland 😀

I've had numerous relatives visit from the States over the years who have absolutely freaked at the narrowness of the roads. One of them (from Jersey) even drove in to a ditch as they thought they were going to hit an on coming car.

I recommend looking at driving in Ireland you tube videos to give you an idea of the conditions.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Can Ring of Kerry be done in one day? Or will that be too much driving? I thought we can split the Ring of Kerry into 2 days,but it is a loop so that is not likely.

Our plane tickets are bought for the departure from Shannon. However, I have flexibility to fly into Shannon, Cork or Dublin. The last seemed to be the longer drive. If we fly into Cork, then we would visit Rock of Cashel before heading to Kilarnay?

You can do the ring of kerry in one day. What time of year are you coming? Flying in to Cork and doing the Rock of Cashel is pretty much the opposite direction to Kilarney.

If you flew in to Cork I would recommend you go to Glenariff via Gougan Barra. Two areas I love. Very picturesque.

There's a tiny church on an island in Gougan Barra, which is a popular wedding venue. With a hotel and lovely cafe close by for lunch. It wouldn't take long to look at it.

Glenariff is a very picturesque village with some lovely walks. Or there is a short boat ride over to valencia gardens. Very pretty and you are not that far from the ring of Kerry. They have some lovely little hotels there too.

You can do the ring of kerry in one day. What time of year are you coming? Flying in to Cork and doing the Rock of Cashel is pretty much the opposite direction to Kilarney.

If you flew in to Cork I would recommend you go to Glenariff via Gougan Barra. Two areas I love. Very picturesque.

There's a tiny church on an island in Gougan Barra, which is a popular wedding venue. With a hotel and lovely cafe close by for lunch. It wouldn't take long to look at it.

Glenariff is a very picturesque village with some lovely walks. Or there is a short boat ride over to valencia gardens. Very pretty and you are not that far from the ring of Kerry. They have some lovely little hotels there too.

Beautiful pictures!

We will be there mid June 2018.

As KerryinCork has mentioned already, Cashel is the opposite direction! And, in my view, not really worth the time to go there as there is much better in West Cork/Kerry.

I agree with the comments made about Gougane Barra and Glengariff.

I would suggest flying into Cork, collecting car and driving towards Clonakilty and Skibbereen (both beautiful small towns) and into Bantry. Then on towards Glengariff (if you have time and have got used to the roads, then head towards Gougane Barra). Then take the Healy Pass (stunning) through the mountains to Kenmare. Kenmare is on the ring of Kerry and is a lovely town (much nicer than Killarney).

It should be getting busy at the weekends that time of year & they often will have bike races etc doing the ring of Kerry. As I mentioned the ring can get pretty narrow. Also there will be couch tours on the road too. They all tend to go in the same direction. So if you are staying in Kilarney, before you set out ask at the hotel do they know the normal route of the tourist busses and be sure to go in the same direction.

The bus drivers can get up a fair clip, it's bad enough when we come face to face with them and we are used to gauging the passing distance. I would say it would give ye a heart attack to pass them, especially worrying about damage to your hire car.😉

If your schedule allows I would recommend do this on a week day. You will still get buses but shouldn't get as many.

The Cliffs of Moher are easier to get to. There's a car park and a visitors centre. Please don't climb over the walls and fences, every year some tourist dies because they ignore the warnings.

There's a nice little beach town close by (Lahinch) where you can get lunch or a snack and go for a nice stroll and watch the surfers. 451e646e2afcf14c43078ff8aa66e372.jpg

As KerryinCork has mentioned already, Cashel is the opposite direction! And, in my view, not really worth the time to go there as there is much better in West Cork/Kerry.

I agree with the comments made about Gougane Barra and Glengariff.

I would suggest flying into Cork, collecting car and driving towards Clonakilty and Skibbereen (both beautiful small towns) and into Bantry. Then on towards Glengariff (if you have time and have got used to the roads, then head towards Gougane Barra). Then take the Healy Pass (stunning) through the mountains to Kenmare. Kenmare is on the ring of Kerry and is a lovely town (much nicer than Killarney).

Good to hear (read) from you! I didn't realize you are from Cork...but of course, now I see it in your profile.

Any recommendations on where to stay? Or drive straight to Killarney?

It should be getting busy at the weekends that time of year & they often will have bike races etc doing the ring of Kerry. As I mentioned the ring can get pretty narrow. Also there will be couch tours on the road too. They all tend to go in the same direction. So if you are staying in Kilarney, before you set out ask at the hotel do they know the normal route of the tourist busses and be sure to go in the same direction.

The bus drivers can get up a fair clip, it's bad enough when we come face to face with them and we are used to gauging the passing distance. I would say it would give ye a heart attack to pass them, especially worrying about damage to your hire car.😉

If your schedule allows I would recommend do this on a week day. You will still get buses but shouldn't get as many.

The Cliffs of Moher are easier to get to. There's a car park and a visitors centre. Please don't climb over the walls and fences, every year some tourist dies because they ignore the warnings.

There's a nice little beach town close by (Lahinch) where you can get lunch or a snack and go for a nice stroll and watch the surfers. 451e646e2afcf14c43078ff8aa66e372.jpg

Wonderful...thank you!!!

We will arrive in Ireland on Saturday. Plan is to do Ring of Kerry on Monday and Cliffs of Moher on Tuesday.

Any opinions on Ring of Kerry vs Dingle Peninsula?

kerryincork, for the Killarney to Cliffs of Moher drive, would you use the ferry, or drive through Limerick and Ennis?

Thanks for looking out for me!!! I would have never thought or know to ask this question!

Sounds like i am trading the SUVs in for 3 small automatics

kerryincork, for the Killarney to Cliffs of Moher drive, would you use the ferry, or drive through Limerick and Ennis?

When I do it I drive around limerick and through Ennis but my Father always goes by the Ferry. I would check ferry time table & weather conditions before heading out

I will probably be banned from living in Cork for this, but really there is not a lot to see in the city itself. It is fine as a port of call for a day with visits to Blarney, Kinsale, English Market, but, if this is liable to be your only visit to Ireland then the countryside in West Cork and Kerry is much better.

If you can get the 09.45 am flight from Heathrow to Cork, you arrive at 11.10 am. It is a small airport so you should be through very quickly. Maybe on the road for 1pm. I would go straight to Clonakilty then Skibbereen and on to Glengarriff. Stay in Glengarrif or if you feel up to it then drive to Kenmare. Driving time from the Airport to Skib will be about 1h 30m (you will have to factor in stops en route) and Skibbereen to Glengarriff will be about an hour. Allow another hour for the very scenic trip from Glengarriff to Kenmare. There are lots of B & B's in these areas.

I will probably be banned from living in Cork for this, but really there is not a lot to see in the city itself. It is fine as a port of call for a day with visits to Blarney, Kinsale, English Market, but, if this is liable to be your only visit to Ireland then the countryside in West Cork and Kerry is much better.

If you can get the 09.45 am flight from Heathrow to Cork, you arrive at 11.10 am. It is a small airport so you should be through very quickly. Maybe on the road for 1pm. I would go straight to Clonakilty then Skibbereen and on to Glengarriff. Stay in Glengarrif or if you feel up to it then drive to Kenmare. Driving time from the Airport to Skib will be about 1h 30m (you will have to factor in stops en route) and Skibbereen to Glengarriff will be about an hour. Allow another hour for the very scenic trip from Glengarriff to Kenmare. There are lots of B & B's in these areas.

My family with definitely be back. However, this is the first, and probably the only time, we were able to convince my in-laws to go outside of the US. I want to plan something memorable and not so fast paced.

I put your info in my trip notes so I can plan accordingly. Thank you!