Small Power Strips

j6923ss

I've used this a few times in the past (different cruise line). It adds 3 outlets. Made it through with no issues.

https://www.westsidewholesale.com/leviton-692-e.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm-OKHz4tmkwnvz85hrTRDNi5cRGtQqSwPiIfYyMo2c8mj0zW8eVz7YaAiDdEALw_wcB

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

I would suggest that you keep it in your hand luggage. The worse that can happen is that security confiscate it and return it at end of your cruise. If you put it in your suit case, you might experience delays in getting your luggage.

If you need to take a power cable for medical reasons (like using a CPAP) then you can request one ahead of time by emailing special needs.

• 1 month later...

Where does it say OFFICIALLY that you can bring a power strip if it has no surge protection? All I see is on the FAQ page is that Electrical Extension Cords (that means any sort of power socket extension surge protected or not) are not allowed. It does not say only surge protected ones. From what I understand, surge protection doesn't matter as none are allowed. So please tell me I am wrong with hard evidence and not just what you think is correct.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

DW and I took a basic switched 6-plug power strip on our last two cruises. Not a single question/issue/look. Just get a Walmart/bestbuy/Amazon basic cheap one so you don’t have to worry about the minuscule chance of losing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do know that your power strips are not allowed due to safety reasons. So why do you insist on bringing them along?

Actually, from the packaging that states it is not surge protected, it really is no more of a fire hazard than anything else electrical that you bring onboard. The reason that RCI states that all extension cords are not allowed is because the security screeners at the embarkation port are not RCI employees, and therefore RCI is not responsible for their proper training in determining which devices have surge protectors or not, so they issue a blanket prohibition.

When I sailed as Staff Chief Engineer on cruise ships, who is the "on-scene commander" for all fires and emergencies on the ship, and who has many years of shipboard electrical experience, and who has fought shipboard fires in the past, I would have no problem with the power strip shown in the photo.

We have a small 2 plug travel power board.

We have taken it on 36 cruises and it was confiscated by RCI security in the ’naughty room’ on Ovation last month for the first time.

They also tried to take our single plug-in adapters - US to Aus plugs!

It doesn't matter if you think a power strip is safe or not, it's banned. So don't bring it with you. If you are wrong about it being safe, you could cause a fire. Do you really want that?

Per the policy, all extension cords are banned. Yet, if you need something for your CPAP machine, and ask the ship, what do you think they supply? An extension cord. Are RCI's extension cords magically different than others? And if you had a power strip removed at embarkation, and you made a fuss about needing it, who do you think they would call to approve or disapprove your using it? Some corporate legal type who wrote the prohibited items list? The Captain? Nope. It would be me, or one of my colleagues, senior engineers onboard who would say that "the item is in good condition (still in packaging) and not surge protected. Have a nice cruise."

Per the policy, all extension cords are banned. Yet, if you need something for your CPAP machine, and ask the ship, what do you think they supply? An extension cord. Are RCI's extension cords magically different than others? And if you had a power strip removed at embarkation, and you made a fuss about needing it, who do you think they would call to approve or disapprove your using it? Some corporate legal type who wrote the prohibited items list? The Captain? Nope. It would be me, or one of my colleagues, senior engineers onboard who would say that "the item is in good condition (still in packaging) and not surge protected. Have a nice cruise."

That still doesn't change the fact that you are not allowed to bring your own power bar. If you need to have a socket near the bed, bring a non-powered extension cord. That would work and it's not banned.

That still doesn't change the fact that you are not allowed to bring your own power bar. If you need to have a socket near the bed, bring a non-powered extension cord. That would work and it's not banned.

Obviously, you never read the link you posted in post #10, copied here:

that says: "Prohibited Items" "Electrical Extension Cords"

It actually says nothing about "power strips or bars" specifically, but one has to assume they lump them all together as extension cords. So, your thought of bringing a "non-powered" extension cord is banned. By the way, what is a "powered" extension cord? Every extension cord, or power bar I've seen is "non-powered" unless you plug it in, and then they all are "powered". Power bars/strips/boards do not contain or generate their own power.

We will cruise in other cruise line just before cruising aboard Allure, so we have to bring a non surge protected extension cord for my father CPAP machine. We know that in Allure they will provide one, but on the other cruise line the extension is not granted and they ask us to bring our own, always a non surge protected one.We will show it during the boarding process, but will use the ones provided by Royal Caribbean.

Obviously, you never read the link you posted in post #10, copied here:

that says: "Prohibited Items" "Electrical Extension Cords"

It actually says nothing about "power strips or bars" specifically, but one has to assume they lump them all together as extension cords. So, your thought of bringing a "non-powered" extension cord is banned. By the way, what is a "powered" extension cord? Every extension cord, or power bar I've seen is "non-powered" unless you plug it in, and then they all are "powered". Power bars/strips/boards do not contain or generate their own power.

Power strips/bars are considered electrical extension cords. So they aren't allowed. Why not do us all a favor and follow the ban list and try not to smuggle anything on the list.

Power strips/bars are considered electrical extension cords. So they aren't allowed. Why not do us all a favor and follow the ban list and try not to smuggle anything on the list.

Well, which is it?

In your post #10: "All I see is on the FAQ page is that Electrical Extension Cords (that means any sort of power socket extension surge protected or not) are not allowed."

Then in your post #18: "If you need to have a socket near the bed, bring a non-powered extension cord. That would work and it's not banned."

Getting a little confused by your advice.