Would You Recomnend A TA?

Wiseask

My wife and I are veteran Celebrity cruisers, and are contemplating a transatlantic (“TA”) cruise, in late October/early November, for the first time. The cruise leaves from Rome, stops in Barcelona and ends in Florida.

Our concern is about the weather at that time of year (too cold to enjoy the pool deck?) and whether the seas are rough. We are used to sailing in temperate climates around the Caribbean and even the Mediterranean where the weather and the condition of the seas were not major concerns.

If you have sailed a TA before, especially in October or November, please let me know your experience about the weather and the condition of the seas.

Thanks.

We sailed from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale last fall and loved it. Couple of days were cloudy and cool but a very enjoyable cruise. Weather changes so your experience at vary.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello

Maybe you will like to read last TA Review by UKPETE1 https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2556055&highlight=ukpete1 from Rome to Florida, best TA review I have read

We did Barcelona to FL with a stop in St. Kitts this past November and weather was great. Pool days, calm seas with just 2 cloudy days.

We did one two years ago from Rome and also had calm seas and great days.

Go for it as they are the best part of cruising.

Our first (and only) TA remains one of our favorite cruises.

We sailed east to west in November. The seas were like glass, and although not "tropical", the weather was warm enough to enjoy the pool areas, particulalry the close-in one. We had an aft balcony and used it daily - we borrowed two of the comfy plaid blankets from the pool deck to keep in our cabin.

One of the many reasons we enjoyed the east to west was because we gained an hour almost every day - it made the cruise seem longer.

I would not let "hurricane season" deter you, unless that would be a major concern to you. Rarely do you hear of a TA impacted by hurricanes, now the Caribbean is another story!

Here's a gem of a review written by a fellow cruiser: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2426534&highlight=silhouette

Only one I ever experienced any rough seas on was a TA we did in December. Last one we did in October was awesome, smooth seas and great weather. The Captain mentioned it was one of the reasons they try to avoid scheduling TA's in late November/December, as seas and weather were more of an issue on those trips.

It's funny that I saw your post as I just booked the Edge TA for the November 1, 2019 sailing a week or so ago

We have taken two and will take others if the itinerary is right. Southhampton to Miami was cool/cold/gusty on the first port days in northern France but as we got further south it was warmer and we were in capris and shorts by the time we got home. There were rough seas (40 ft.) that prevented us going to the Azores, so we had two unplanned stops in northern Spain (still 20 ft seas) to avoid the worst of the storm. After that it was clear as glass across the Atlantic.

Two years later we went from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. Warm and sunny all 14 days. Perfect weather. A couple showers in Valencia and Tenerife but that's about it.

Lots more activities on board on a TA. Passenger choir/rehearsals, flash mob/rehearsals, more lectures, art classes (free supplies), etc.

Since you're traveling from southern Europe to southern North America you won't be surprised to learn ships on these routes take a southerly tract. It probably won't be rough, but the Atlantic can be temperamental and hard to predict. Fortunately you won't be traversing the Bay of Biscay off western France which can be seriously rough any time of year. You should have a fairly smooth crossing and I recommend a TA highly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

We've sailed westbound transatlantics a number times departing as early as August and as late as December. Weather is always a variable but sailing the southern route from the Mediterranean, odds are favorable that it should be decent. We prefer the westbound routes because we like to tour Europe like maniacs then get on a ship to rest for a week. In the worst case, the early days of the cruise were cooler, not frigid by any means but certainly not meant for lazing about the outdoor pool for the day. However, by the last few days of the sailing, temps were a lot warmer and the pool was crowded.

Celebrity does an outstanding job of daytime programming to fill the many sea days.

I have been on 3 TAs weather has been good on all of them with the exception of a day or two. Look for one that goes to the Canary Islands or does not go to the Azores. The Azores are nice but it will likely be cool there and it makes for a more Northern route. Also get a cabin on the Port side you will have more sun if you go for a balcony

We have done 6 east to West TAs and had bad weather once. The other 5 the ocean was as smooth as glass (didn’t even get rocked to sleep) and sound at least 5 of 7 sea days at the pool. Add to that you get a lot of 25 hour days.

We did our first TA last April on the Reflection. It was the opposite of the one you are thinking about doing. Another is in 2019 on the Edge; however, east to west will be our third, as losing those selective hours does make it more difficult. Anyway, the weather was great with just one or two days of rough seas that were really awesome to experience, as the waves rocked us to sleep...go for it!!!

Of course, no one can predict Mother Nature!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums