Pre-Paid HSC questions

regnig

Hopefully I can phrase these questions so that they make sense and someone can provide the correct answers.

When we booked our upcoming March cruise on the Koningsdam we received a total of $500 OBC which included the OBC from booking while On-Board with the FCC plus the ZPM OBC. Additionally, there was a special promo of Pre-Paid Hotel ServiceCharges (HSC) that we were able to take advantage of. All documentation from HAL is correct and shows both. My questions deal only with the Pre-Paid Hotel Svc Charge as I’m very familiar with how the regular OBCworks.

Questions –

1. On our daily Stateroom folio will it show a debit for the daily HSC followed by a credit for the same?

2. Will we still get credit for the HSC amount towards our Onboard Spending?

3. Since the HSC is “pre-paid” by HAL can we be assured that the amount will actually go into the “Pool” for distribution to the qualifying staff?

Question #3 above Is important to us as we almost always tip extra over and above the HSC and want some assurance that the staff is receiving their portion of the “Pool” in calculating what extra we will hand out.

Thanks in advance!

For questions 1 & 2, the answer is yes. For question #3, I believe it does but do not know for a fact. I expect we need to "trust" that it does. IIRC, someone has posted that they asked a crew member about the pre-paid gratuities and was assured that they do go into the pool. Hopefully, that person will see this thread and comment accordingly.

Thanks for the positive answers on 1 & 2. For the time being based on what you said I'll go with a yes to #3 BUT if anyone definitely knows other wise please advise. Those folks work far too hard to get shorted by a Promo HAL is running.

Holland America is a business and has a responsibility to their share holders. Why would they be anything less than fiscally and morally responsible? There is too much to lose.

Spot on, Miss G - great response!

So sorry you two as I never intended to suggest that HAL was anything other than "fiscally and morally responsible". Since I've upset you so please accept my apology. All I was attempting to do was to make certain we tipped in the correct fashion. Maybe you'll both have a better day tomorrow. :D;p:D

So sorry you two as I never intended to suggest that HAL was anything other than "fiscally and morally responsible". Since I've upset you so please accept my apology. All I was attempting to do was to make certain we tipped in the correct fashion. Maybe you'll both have a better day tomorrow. :D;p:D

Unlike you, neither of us were rude to you. How you read our posts is a projection of your own thoughts; not ours.

Apology accepted - and now maybe you'll have a better day today ... and tomorrow as well!

It would be nice if HAL paid the full HSC to the crew, but I would not be surprised if HAL contributed less if there was a prepaid HSC promotion.

This is not a knock on HAL. I suspect that this might be case for any cruise line.

igraf

Thanks for the positive answers on 1 & 2. For the time being based on what you said I'll go with a yes to #3 BUT if anyone definitely knows other wise please advise. Those folks work far too hard to get shorted by a Promo HAL is running.

It would be nice if HAL paid the full HSC to the crew, but I would not be surprised if HAL contributed less if there was a prepaid HSC promotion.

This is not a knock on HAL. I suspect that this might be case for any cruise line.

igraf

It is possible, as HAL (and the crew) know that not all people leave the HSC in place, but rather reduce or eliminate it.

igraf

How would you ever know?

How would you ever know?

I agree. HAL is not the only one to offer prepaid gratuities.

And, the crew do get it ;) I found a diplomatic way to ask on our non-HAL cruise. We actually had to sign a form too, as on that line you were not allowed to rescind them (hurrah).

It is possible, as HAL (and the crew) know that not all people leave the HSC in place, but rather reduce or eliminate it.

That raises a couple of interesting questions:

1. Can pre-paid HSC be reduced because of really terrible service? I am certainly not advocating reductions (let's not get into a tipping thread, please), and I know that regular post-paid HSC can be reduced. Can pre-paid HSC be reduced or eliminated?
  2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, who gets the "refund" of the reduction, me, or the cruise line, or nobody?

That raises a couple of interesting questions:

1. Can pre-paid HSC be reduced because of really terrible service? I am certainly not advocating reductions (let's not get into a tipping thread, please), and I know that regular post-paid HSC can be reduced. Can pre-paid HSC be reduced or eliminated?
  2. Assuming the answer to #1 is yes, who gets the "refund" of the reduction, me, or the cruise line, or nobody?

I would expect that the reduction would go to the party making the original payment, ie, the cruise line.

I would expect that the reduction would go to the party making the original payment, ie, the cruise line.

I would certinly hope so ;).

On another cruise line we were on, it was made clear it couldn't be rescinded.

Our 2nd segment on our next cruise does have this feature.. I've never had it before and not sure how it wil work but... I have never rescinded HSC and am a full believer that if you have an issue, you deal with it on board, and quickly, not on the last night in the line up to remove it. ;)