Travel documents after name change

I was wondering what Royal Caribbean will need from me for travel documents as I have not cruised in my new name since getting married. We did go on our honeymoon on RCCL but I had not officially changed my name yet. My passport is still my old name, but for this cruise we are just going to the Bahamas. Can I travel with just my driver's license and birth certificate and possibly marriage certificate that shows name change?

I do have plenty of time as this trip is in September. Any advice is appreciated! 😊

I was wondering what Royal Caribbean will need from me for travel documents as I have not cruised in my new name since getting married. We did go on our honeymoon on RCCL but I had not officially changed my name yet. My passport is still my old name, but for this cruise we are just going to the Bahamas. Can I travel with just my driver's license and birth certificate and possibly marriage certificate that shows name change?

I do have plenty of time as this trip is in September. Any advice is appreciated! 😊

I'd change your passport to your new name, you've got lots of time.

A lot easier to book the cruise in the passport name or get the passport changed

I had a name change several years ago and had lots of time left on my passport so didn't want to go through the name change yet. I have been on 5 cruises, booked in my current name and brought my passport and name change document. Has never been a problem.

Ultimately they don't really care. They want to know that the passport belongs to you, the person who booked the cruise. The immigrations officials really only care about determining that you're able to travel and don't give two figs about your name change.

I will say this last trip in Port Canaveral I had the agent look the longest at it, only on embarkation. When leaving they're not even comparing your name to any documents and at that point it doesn't matter.

My passport expires in 2018, so I'll process my name change with the renewal this year, but will be doing one more cruise in this fashion next month.

However, you have LOTS of time to update your passport and it's honestly a simple process. What's been holding me up right now is that I no longer have a certified copy of my name change document (been traveling with a regular photo copy) and I will have to go to the court house to get a copy. It's laziness on my part.

For an American citizen on a closed loop cruise to the Bahamas, you can travel with just your birth cert and DL, and marriage license to bridge the names, and book the cruise in your married name assuming that's what's on your DL.

Easier though, to just use your passport and book the cruise in your maiden name. That way you have a passport "just in case," and only need the one document.

Been married 8 years. Still book cruises for my wife with her maiden name. Never got her passport changed. Since it expires this year, after we do our normal cruise, we will renew in her current name.

Do this. It's the easiest. That or just pay to change your passport, you have plenty of time to get it done.

Something to consider, it may be worth it to renew the passport now in your married name. I waited, because I had no use for a passport at the time. During that time passport prices went up, and I lost my ID, causing loads of fun proving name changes from birth to the present as there was a divorce and remarriage in my past. Passport would have made replacing my ID and everything much easier, and would not have needed to be renewed yet for the cruise we just took.