itinerary help for a first-time cruiser to alaska

Hello! I'm taking my grandfather (87) and possibly his sister and her husband (late 70's) to Alaska in May 2018. This will be our first cruise and our first time to Alaska. I need to plan quickly so was hoping you all would have advice! I have read nearly every article and review out there for ships, ports, etc, but am still stuck on the following:

Which itinerary would you choose, and which ship? The ones traveling with me cannot hike, bike, or even walk a mile easily. We will be doing low key excursions. I read about recent ship renovations but am still unsure which is best. Thanks for all your help!

Holland America Westerdam/Noordam D6L 11 days with this itinerary:

Anchorage

Denali by rail

Denali

Seward by bus

At sea (gulf of AK)

Glacier Bay

Skagway/Haines

Juneau

Ketchikan

At sea

Vancouver

Or Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam/Ms Volendam Y5L 11 day with this itinerary:

Anchorage

Denali by rail

Denali

Fairbanks by bus

Dawson City by plane

Whitehorse by bus

Skagway by rail

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

At Sea

Vancouver

Are you sure you want to do a cruise/tour, and not simply a cruise? The land tour portion is grueling! I was in my 40s when I took one, and I slept the entire first day on the ship; I was that exhausted.

Personally, I would recommend the 14-day cruise out of Seattle. It's a relaxing voyage, with many interesting ports, some out of the way ports, and lovely sea days with great scenery. It's perfect for some of us 'of a certain age' who just don't have the stamina we used to have.

If you do decide to do a land tour as well as the cruise, I highly recommend you do the land portion first.

I also recommend you take a tour that gives you the most time in Denali Park. It increases the chances of getting some decent weather.

Hello! I'm taking my grandfather (87) and possibly his sister and her husband (late 70's) to Alaska in May 2018. This will be our first cruise and our first time to Alaska. I need to plan quickly so was hoping you all would have advice! I have read nearly every article and review out there for ships, ports, etc, but am still stuck on the following:

Which itinerary would you choose, and which ship? The ones traveling with me cannot hike, bike, or even walk a mile easily. We will be doing low key excursions. I read about recent ship renovations but am still unsure which is best. Thanks for all your help!

Holland America Westerdam/Noordam D6L 11 days with this itinerary:

Anchorage

Denali by rail

Denali

Seward by bus

At sea (gulf of AK)

Glacier Bay

Skagway/Haines

Juneau

Ketchikan

At sea

Vancouver

Or Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam/Ms Volendam Y5L 11 day with this itinerary:

Anchorage

Denali by rail

Denali

Fairbanks by bus

Dawson City by plane

Whitehorse by bus

Skagway by rail

Glacier Bay

Ketchikan

At Sea

Vancouver

My choice would be D6L . The bus thru the Yukon is a grueling ride . You'll probably spend most of the bus between Dawson and Whitehorse. Then only a four day cruise from Skagway to Vancouver.

Have you looked at other cruise lines that have similiar tours.

Are you sure you want to do a cruise/tour, and not simply a cruise? The land tour portion is grueling! I was in my 40s when I took one, and I slept the entire first day on the ship; I was that exhausted.

Personally, I would recommend the 14-day cruise out of Seattle. It's a relaxing voyage, with many interesting ports, some out of the way ports, and lovely sea days with great scenery. It's perfect for some of us 'of a certain age' who just don't have the stamina we used to have.

If you do decide to do a land tour as well as the cruise, I highly recommend you do the land portion first.

I also recommend you take a tour that gives you the most time in Denali Park. It increases the chances of getting some decent weather.

I agree that the 14-day cruise is worth considering. We loved that itinerary. I haven't done the cruise/tour, but friends who did it said it can be like a forced march.

Beginnercruiser2018, you don't say where you're from, so this may not be an issue. But check out flights to the embarkation and disembarkation ports. I've always found Seattle to have more flights and better prices. And welcome to Cruise Critic!

I agree with all that has been recommended. Of the two choices provided, I would choose the first one based on the mobility of the rest of the group.

I totally agree that the 14 day cruise would be the best option for those of limited mobility. Plus, it's done on a smaller ship so the distances from the MDR to the show lounges are shorter.

I hope that the 14 day cruise is within budget and time constraints for the OP.

If your up for the rigors of the land portions, either itinerary is fine.

I'd agree with previous posters that the 2 week option gives you much more of an overview of Alaska in a more relaxed setting. No bus trips or weather worries.

Also, 2 ports,Ketchican and Juneau are usually packed with cruise ships on 7 day trips. Towns are very crowded and tours are packed and rushed so operators can get more tours in per day.

Once you head further north things quiet down.I found Sitka, the original Russian capitol of Alaska the most scenic port and town and Icy Straights awe inspiring.in its natural state.

Happy cruising whatever you choose!

Thanks so much, everyone! I had no idea the land portion was so labor-intensive. Grandpa really wants to get on a train, but maybe I can arrange that on the front end and cruise the rest of the time? It's not a deal-breaker if we don't do it, but this is likely his first and only tour of Alaska. I want it to be perfect! More days in Denali - got it! I heard the buses were a pain and was worried about this; thanks for the confirmation. I am from TN, trying to meet grandpa who is flying out of Chicago. Seattle might be a better option, I actually never considered it! I have 3 babies under 3 at home and hate to be away from them for long, but if I can arrange care for 14 days it might be worth considering for grandpa's long-awaited trip. My grandma has had Alzheimer's for over 11 years, she's bedridden & at home. He takes care of her 100% and hasn't left her side. He had quite a few troubles with his own health last year so we are trying to plan and get on a boat asap! I have searched Coral Princess tours, which seem to have better pricing right now & similar itineraries. I am not opposed to any line!

Hope I answered all of the questions. I am looking into the 14 day cruise now. You all have helped me tremendously. Thank you!

We took the D6 itinerary (the first one on your list) and loved it. I agree with Ruth C....do the land portion first and cruise afterwards to relax.

I am planning on doing the 14 day cruise itinerary next (2019?) and looking forward to it. Enjoyed the land portion previously especially Denali but no need to go again. Would rather cruise to more ports this next time. Good luck, whatever you choose! It will be fun no matter which way you go!

If you wnat to do the 14-day, if it stops in Skagway, you can take the White Pass Train excursion to get your grandpa's train fix.

From what I've read, that train form Anchorage to Denali is a long day!

IIRC, the train trip in Anchorage was something like 10 hours. I agree that if they put Skagway on the itinerary (it wasn't in 2017), that's a great train opportunity.

If you wnat to do the 14-day, if it stops in Skagway, you can take the White Pass Train excursion to get your grandpa's train fix.

From what I've read, that train form Anchorage to Denali is a long day!

I was going to suggest it. I missed that on our cruises, and was told by my wife (she went without me last year, with our daughters) that I HAVE TO do it next time. So I think that is a recommendation.

If your Grandfather wants to see Denali National Park, the D6 would be fine with two nights in Denali. The Yukon trip is so short that you would be constantly on the move....exhausting. The 14 day that goes to Homer and Kodiak is wonderful but does not go to Skagway so no train ride. Have you considered just doing a round trip cruise out of Vancouver and taking the White Pass Yukon railway excursion in Skagway or better yet do the railroad/ bus combo. This itinerary should go to Glacier Bay which is amazing.

The Volendam is a smaller ship 1432 guests so potentially less walking. The Nieuw Amsterdam has 2106 guests and a mid-ship elevator and it is newer. May is a great time to go with fewer kids. Either ship would be a good choice.

Edited by oaktreerb

If your Grandfather wants to see Denali National Park, the D6 would be fine with two nights in Denali. The Yukon trip is so short that you would be constantly on the move....exhausting. The 14 day that goes to Homer and Kodiak is wonderful but does not go to Skagway so no train ride. Have you considered just doing a round trip cruise out of Vancouver and taking the White Pass Yukon railway excursion in Skagway or better yet do the railroad/ bus combo. This itinerary should go to Glacier Bay which is amazing.

The Volendam is a smaller ship 1432 guests so potentially less walking. The Nieuw Amsterdam has 2106 guests and a mid-ship elevator and it is newer. May is a great time to go with fewer kids. Either ship would be a good choice.

I vote for a shorter cruise out of Vancouver that goes to Skagway, and take the train trip there. I also believe that one can take a train trip out of Vancouver to Alberta and back to see some of Canada (as a secondary trip) to get more train travel if desired. Not sure of any prices, though.

If the train travel is not critical, I would vote for the 14-day trip, or a back-to-back combination of Vancouver to Seward followed by Seward to Vancouver (7 days each) if there is a stop in Skagway (which there was when we did it a few years ago).

For the question OP asked, of the two, I would do the first itinerary D6L.

I'm going to echo everyone else; if you can do the 14 day cruise, it is wonderful. Does not go to Skagway, but I'm pretty sure there were several train excursions (same train, different stops as I recall) offered from Anchorage. Definitely no trains at any of the other ports, but that cruise was just so peaceful and relaxing. And it's round trip from Seattle.

Whatever you decide, I hope you all have a wonderful time in Alaska!

I vote for a shorter cruise out of Vancouver that goes to Skagway, and take the train trip there. I also believe that one can take a train trip out of Vancouver to Alberta and back to see some of Canada (as a secondary trip) to get more train travel if desired. Not sure of any prices, though.

If the train travel is not critical, I would vote for the 14-day trip, or a back-to-back combination of Vancouver to Seward followed by Seward to Vancouver (7 days each) if there is a stop in Skagway (which there was when we did it a few years ago).

I would also suggest the 7 day round trip from Vancouver with the train ride in Skagway. I’ve done this before and it’s wonderful.

I’m doing the 14 day round trip Seattle this year. I’ve heard the land tour portion can be exhausting and have not considered it for that reason.

The train out of Vancouver is the Rocky Mountaineer. Their itineraries are multiple days, staying in a hotel not on the train overnight. Expensive, but tempting. I've been thinking about it as an add-on if I do another cruise out of Vancouver.

Another factor is your date - in May there may be limited access in Alaska due to too much snow (e.g. Denali park access, since both your original options involved Denali...) so if this is the only time you can come, either doing land last (to maximise the chance whatever you want to see will be open) or skipping the land tour and just focusing on a cruise will mitigate or remove that risk factor.

I'd also agree with the above posters warning about many hours on buses - long train days at least always have access to washrooms inside the train, able to get up and stretch the legs a little etc. From Vancouver into Alberta our regular national carrier VIA is the main service - Rocky Mountaineer doesn't even get to the other side of the Rockies, so while it does have some stops that are in Alberta the overwhelming majority of the rail travel is within BC.

VIA travels at night, using sleeper cars, while RM as mentioned uses hotels and all travel is in daylight. Their prices are best described as a metric buttload more than VIA! If you can't or won't consider at least a thousand dollars per person, RM is not for you.

Personally I'd always choose a cruise to or from Vancouver over Seattle and not just because we're the nicer city - the most spectacularly narrow parts of the Inside Passage are close to Vancouver and are virtually never taken by ships out of Seattle. So the first/last day or two on Seattle cruises is open ocean, nothing to speak of visible, while Vancouver cruises offer fabulous landscapes, potential Orca viewing, and likely smoother waters due to be being protected from the ocean.

Flying to/from SEA and taking the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver fits well with the desire to get on a train (there's some dang nice scenery and it's a fraction of the cost of White Pass with tickets as low as $32pp adults, even less for seniors).

NB: unless your party all have passports, an RT cruise out of Seattle might be your only viable choice though - even the White Pass railroad requires passports (or pp cards, NEXUS etc.) if you travel into Canada (there's one 'up and back' that doesn't require going through Canadian immigration but it's the shortest trip). There's plenty of time to secure passports for all by May if they're willing of course, but I've seen a lot of posts on here about especially elderly relatives not wanting to have that hassle/expense so I thought it worth pointing out...

Another factor is your date - in May there may be limited access in Alaska due to too much snow (e.g. Denali park access, since both your original options involved Denali...) so if this is the only time you can come, either doing land last (to maximise the chance whatever you want to see will be open) or skipping the land tour and just focusing on a cruise will mitigate or remove that risk factor.

I'd also agree with the above posters warning about many hours on buses - long train days at least always have access to washrooms inside the train, able to get up and stretch the legs a little etc. From Vancouver into Alberta our regular national carrier VIA is the main service - Rocky Mountaineer doesn't even get to the other side of the Rockies, so while it does have some stops that are in Alberta the overwhelming majority of the rail travel is within BC.

VIA travels at night, using sleeper cars, while RM as mentioned uses hotels and all travel is in daylight. Their prices are best described as a metric buttload more than VIA! If you can't or won't consider at least a thousand dollars per person, RM is not for you.

Personally I'd always choose a cruise to or from Vancouver over Seattle and not just because we're the nicer city - the most spectacularly narrow parts of the Inside Passage are close to Vancouver and are virtually never taken by ships out of Seattle. So the first/last day or two on Seattle cruises is open ocean, nothing to speak of visible, while Vancouver cruises offer fabulous landscapes, potential Orca viewing, and likely smoother waters due to be being protected from the ocean.

Flying to/from SEA and taking the Amtrak Cascades train to Vancouver fits well with the desire to get on a train (there's some dang nice scenery and it's a fraction of the cost of White Pass with tickets as low as $32pp adults, even less for seniors).

NB: unless your party all have passports, an RT cruise out of Seattle might be your only viable choice though - even the White Pass railroad requires passports (or pp cards, NEXUS etc.) if you travel into Canada (there's one 'up and back' that doesn't require going through Canadian immigration but it's the shortest trip). There's plenty of time to secure passports for all by May if they're willing of course, but I've seen a lot of posts on here about especially elderly relatives not wanting to have that hassle/expense so I thought it worth pointing out...

You make a lot of good points. Gotta remember "metric buttload" never heard that one before!! The big deal about the Rocky Mountaineer is the rail travel is all in daylight so you don't miss any scenery. It's definitely meant as a sightseeing trip, not transportation. VIA is transportation ( and very good, too).

We've taken the Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, and that would definitely make a train buff happy. Look into the price of business class because seats there are reserved. When we went, we had to get our seat assignment at the station on the day, but we could request water side, which has beautiful views.

OP, I know we're throwing a lot of info at you, but Alaska has lots of choices. Take a look at various itineraries and talk to your relatives. Discuss some of the caveats here about long bus rides, seasonal timing, etc. See if you can prioritize the various experiences that are possible, and maybe that will help you make a choice.

MY DH is disabled but mobile. His stamina is very limited. I talked him into a 7 day Vancouver to Seward. (He didn't want to go on a cruise). We went on the Noordam, midship balcony by the elevators. Easy to access dining, etc. We picked one big excursion, half day fishing through a private charter as that was important to him. Everything else was low key, short shore trips, lots of time on the balcony. He was ok with me doing things without him while he rested or sat on the balcony. As I wanted to do a lot more, striking a balance and good communication was important. We always wanted to go to Alaska so this was our trip of a lifetime. Doesn't really address your questions but thought maybe something here could be of value. Oh... We did fly to Seattle and took Amtrak to Vancouver. It was a nice ride. We both loved the cruise!!

• 6 months later...

I would recommend that you rent electric scooters from scooterround.com or some thing like that just google "renting scooters " .They will deliver & pick up a rental scooter .all you need do is give them your itinerary .

I will be 80 this December * have done Alaska 5 times . first & foremost there are 2 Alaska discount books available & just ask google for "Alaska discount books " . You can view the coupons before buying .

I would recommend that you do your own on land itinerary . Any AARP member can get 30% discount from Avis rent a car . Get the car at the anchorage airport .That way you don't need a fast pace crowd on a pre planed tour .

google "minibus service from Anchorage " .You can book the 1/2 day tour which stops at the animal rehabilitation center before taking you to the airport to get your car rental . book early & you save money .It is a great way to see some of Alaska .

Stay in Anchorage a day or 2 & see the Anchorage Zoo & any other place where you like & have a discount coupon like the Heritage Center

Drive up to Denali (about 6 hours ) & book your accomomdations at the Denali Lake view Inn early .It is a AAA 3 diamond Bed & Breakfast . Great ratesw ,clean & you get breakfast in your frig & ask for a balcony room/s ,so you can go out & view lake otto (gorgeous with ducks geese & swans & perhaps other wold like taking a drink .

Next door is a ATV place (2 for one coupon available ) you walk to it it is that close & take the ride in a Rhino (like a golf cart with 4 wheel independent suspension ) .You follow the leader & go out into the tundra .Very safe A man 101 & his daughter did it .

There is a golf course near by with great & reasonable food . The proprietor will also tell you about the micro brewery where you can eat as well reasonably .They will with advance notice make every one a box lunch to take with you on your tour of Denali .

You go on line & book your Denali tour early the better ;as they can sell out

Bring high powered binoculars & camera with 200 & 300 lens for distance & animal shots . Stay at least 3 nights at the Denali Lake View lodge to get clear pictures of both the north & south summits of Mt Denali (20300 ft high ) .Because of it's height this mountain can set up its own weather & the summits can be shrouded in clouds ,that is why I recommend minimum of a 3 day stay . you can also do different bus tours while there . If you have the senior national park card you get reimbursed the entry fees .you must ask for the reimbursement . go on line & book your Denali tours directly ;but ,must do that early .Perhaps 6 months to a year

Alaska is incredible ,gorgeous & magnificent ;but ,make your own itiinerary so no one gets exhausted

Enjoy & have Fun :p:p:p

Cliff

Cliff/mcrcruiser - Excellent Alaska “on your own” advice!! Your details are much appreciated and I’m not even the OP. Thanks!

You are very welcome

For info on scooter rentals people should google "scooterround " & then phone them .They both deliver & pickup scooters ,where you want them through out the USA

If driving in Alaska or any where else with rental vehicles inquire with Avis ( AARP members get 30% discount ) or who ever renrtals come from ,if they have mini vans with ramps that can accommodate personal scooters in the mini van or if necessary another vehicle .

We found driving in Alaska very relaxing ;as there is hardly any traffic . A 6 hour drive from Anchorage to the Denali Lake View Inn is a very relaxing drive because of the extremely low volume of vehicles on that road .Taking in the scenery & making stops like in Wisalia (Sarah Palins home town ) there is a Walmart there ,doing your research can turn up many fascinating side trips :p

Cliff