Amtrak in Miami anyone?

toxicfairy

So after looking into flights for our July Seaside cruise for the 4 of us I decided we are not flying. $2300 plus change( goes up and down a few $$). Then considered renting a mini van and driving until I factored in gas and tolls and parking. So looking at taking Amtrak from 30th St station in Philadelphia to Miami. Yes it is a 28 hour ride in coach seats. But driving would be the same minus maybe 3 hours. On the train however we can get up and move around, not have to beg the DH to make bathroom stops, and we can go into the cafe car to get a change of scenery. And for less then renting the van with all the gas and tolls and parking.

Does any one know how far the Amtrak station is from the cruise port? Does anyone know of a hotel close by the Amtrak station?

Thanks for any help.

PS. The train is 1/2 the price of flying so the extra long travel time is not a big deal.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Forums mobile app

So after looking into flights for our July Seaside cruise for the 4 of us I decided we are not flying. $2300 plus change( goes up and down a few $$). Then considered renting a mini van and driving until I factored in gas and tolls and parking. So looking at taking Amtrak from 30th St station in Philadelphia to Miami. Yes it is a 28 hour ride in coach seats. But driving would be the same minus maybe 3 hours. On the train however we can get up and move around, not have to beg the DH to make bathroom stops, and we can go into the cafe car to get a change of scenery. And for less then renting the van with all the gas and tolls and parking.

Does any one know how far the Amtrak station is from the cruise port? Does anyone know of a hotel close by the Amtrak station?

Thanks for any help.

PS. The train is 1/2 the price of flying so the extra long travel time is not a big deal.

If you fly from LaGuardia there are several nonstop AA flights on both Friday and Saturday for $1,246 for 4 people plus baggage unless you have an AA credit card that costs less than $100 per year and then the first bag is free I think for all 4 but don't hold me to that.

Dave

If you fly from LaGuardia there are several nonstop AA flights on both Friday and Saturday for $1,246 for 4 people plus baggage unless you have an AA credit card that costs less than $100 per year and then the first bag is free I think for all 4 but don't hold me to that.

Dave

Thanks but the drive there would mean a long rapid rover ride which would be another cost. We're in south jersey ( Franklinville).

I love to take the train from NJ to Orlando and we do it in a roomette or bedroom. However, when we cruise we always fly and I hate flying. Even in a roomette, there is no way I would want to be on the train for that amount of time but I understand your situation. Im also looking to fly on August 11 to FLL or MIA and back on August 19 and need flights for 6 people. Even from LGA I cannot get anything under $350 roundtrip and I only want non stop.

Anyway, by the evening or morning the bathrooms will be absolutely disgusting and its a crap shoot what your car will be like for instance if yu have loud snores or cell phone talkers. But if you are prepared, it will work. I would HIGHLY suggest giving yourself 1-2 extra days due to delays since they just always happen.

Good luck. Did you book yet?

I would suggest going to the disboards under transportation and doing a search for Amtrak. Its a message board for Disney like cruisecritic is for cruising. There is a wealth of information there on Amtrak.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know you asked about Amtrak and I don't have the answer to your question. If you are still looking for alternatives- did you check airfare into Ft. Lauderdale vs Miami? It's often cheaper, sometimes by quite a bit. Without knowing your exact travel dates, I did a quick search using Google flights and I found several r/t flights in July PHL-FLL for less than $300 per person

Frontier Airlines also flys from Trenton Mercer Airport- flights are around $330 per person round trip and some of them are nonstop (others have a longer layover in Atlanta- but not 28 hours long!).

There are other airport alternatives both in the Philly area (Trenton Mercer, Allentown) and in Florida like Fort Lauderdale that can get your flight costs down and save you a ton of time on the train. I’m all for the train but usually in sleeping cars for trips that long. Going in open coach for 28 hours- and it won’t be 28 hours, it’s never on time, it’ll be hours longer- can’t be a great way to get in a relaxed mode for a vacation.

I know you asked about Amtrak and I don't have the answer to your question. If you are still looking for alternatives- did you check airfare into Ft. Lauderdale vs Miami? It's often cheaper, sometimes by quite a bit. Without knowing your exact travel dates, I did a quick search using Google flights and I found several r/t flights in July PHL-FLL for less than $300 per person

Yes we would have to fly into Ft. Lauderdale because we only do southwest due to luggage prices on other lines. Even if you find a cheaper flight on another line when you add in luggage its more ( and carry on only is NOT going to happen lol I'm not a wear it twice in a week Person🙄).

I love to take the train from NJ to Orlando and we do it in a roomette or bedroom. However, when we cruise we always fly and I hate flying. Even in a roomette, there is no way I would want to be on the train for that amount of time but I understand your situation. Im also looking to fly on August 11 to FLL or MIA and back on August 19 and need flights for 6 people. Even from LGA I cannot get anything under $350 roundtrip and I only want non stop.

Anyway, by the evening or morning the bathrooms will be absolutely disgusting and its a crap shoot what your car will be like for instance if yu have loud snores or cell phone talkers. But if you are prepared, it will work. I would HIGHLY suggest giving yourself 1-2 extra days due to delays since they just always happen.

Good luck. Did you book yet?

I would suggest going to the disboards under transportation and doing a search for Amtrak. Its a message board for Disney like cruisecritic is for cruising. There is a wealth of information there on Amtrak.

We did it once before but in roomettes it was actually fun. This time we'll suffer through I mean the prize at the end is a cruise! We'll leave on the 12th get into Miami on the 13th and cruise out of Miami on the 14th. Then get in on the 21st and head back on the train.

There is a forum for Amtrak travelers/fans, located here:

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/

It is not affiliated with Amtrak, although there are several members who have or do work for Amtrak. There is lots of good info there and very helpful members. EM

Thank you! I'll check it out

Dave

ok so SWA is $ 2350 direct and From PHL to FLL on Jet blue direct, jul 13th, is $529 and on AA direct is $684 for a total of $1,213 plus bags. even if you check 2 bags apiece its $1,660, checking only 1 bag with one carry on its $1,413.

Dave

ok so SWA is $ 2350 direct and From PHL to FLL on Jet blue direct, jul 13th, is $529 and on AA direct is $684 for a total of $1,213 plus bags. even if you check 2 bags apiece its $1,660, checking only 1 bag with one carry on its $1,413.

Dave

HaHa I actually just checked this about an hour ago. And literally just signed up for triple A. I think that's the route I'm going to go. The train is an option BUT my girls (then 21 &26) would have to take off an extra 2 days for travel as would my husband. I'm not working this summer ( I am a paraprofessional and have a 20 day summer program as an option...this year I'm opting out:D ).

Two of our group from NC picked up this train for our December cruise. It was delayed, delayed again, then hit a truck on the tracks and they were trapped for the entire day. Amtrak would not let them off the train, would not release their luggage. Having allowed a full extra day to relax in FLL before the cruise (which those of us who drove got to enjoy) they finally got in just in time to grab a shower and embark. And this was just the second half of what your journey would be. I highly encourage you to allow more than just a day margin if you go by train.

Thanks for any help.

Answering to your question, the train station is in Hialeah, which is probably a 30 minute drive to the port. Sorry, dont know any hotel in the area, there's not a lot to do there. I would suggest you just take an uber and stay somewhere close to the port / bayside / AA Arena.

Good luck on your travel. 28 hours sound like a lot but at least the trains are much more comfortable than planes! I used to take the St Louis - Chicago Amtrak back and forth and it was alright. I would take that over the tedious flying process every day.

Answering to your question, the train station is in Hialeah, which is probably a 30 minute drive to the port. Sorry, dont know any hotel in the area, there's not a lot to do there. I would suggest you just take an uber and stay somewhere close to the port / bayside / AA Arena.

Good luck on your travel. 28 hours sound like a lot but at least the trains are much more comfortable than planes! I used to take the St Louis - Chicago Amtrak back and forth and it was alright. I would take that over the tedious flying process every day.

Thanks However after searching the internet until my fingers were numb I found flights into Miami for a price I can almost live with

Sure glad you chose to fly instead of on the train. Years ago I took the train from Denver to Chicago and I can only describe it as the ride from hell. 3-4 hrs. on a plane is much better than 28+ hours on a train. Enjoy your cruise!!