Zip Line Charge!

sidari

Could this be because there is a fee?

No this past week when I got off it was free and there were no lines, they already charge enough for bowling $25.00 per 30 minute sessions, 4d simulator $10 per ride ...they already charge for enough things on board, charging for zip or slide board especially with kids on board that would like to do those more than once is a bit much and counters their family traveling for a bargain price, which is what I think they are going for with their great prices.

No this past week when I got off it was free and there were no lines, they already charge enough for bowling $25.00 per 30 minute sessions, 4d simulator $10 per ride ...they already charge for enough things on board, charging for zip or slide board especially with kids on board that would like to do those more than once is a bit much and counters their family traveling for a bargain price, which is what I think they are going for with their great prices.

But you knew before you booked your cruise they charged for these Items, Correct?

No charges on the Xmas cruise.

Well, now I agree it is a bait and switch.

Before the inaugural sailing, I could not find info if there would be a fee for the zipline. I gave it a 50/50: 50% no because the water slide was free, 50% because they charge for the bowling, F1, 5D theatre.

I thought I read on some posts about slideboarding being free. That changed midstream as well?

I messaged MSC and specifically asked this question and was told no charge for ziplines or water park, but nominal fee for bowling, arcades and such.

And this is why I posted on another thread I wanted confirmation.

(1) we are getting conflicting information. I am ok with paying, but just didn't want it to change from one sailing to another. Consistency please!

(2) I have been on other cruiselines where the daily compass had errors and thought maybe the daily that was posted was incorrect.

nodak50 - I noticed you have 1 post, which was the above. How did you know about the zipline fee concern?

I am ok with paying, but just didn't want it to change from one sailing to another. Consistency please!

The price for things does change...when should a change occur if not from one sailing to another?

Edited by SeaShark

If they advertise an activity at say, $25 per, and then they increase that charge to $30, is that still bait & switch?

It is plain communication. Anyway, I have been to places where the price is higher than advertised and everytime the establishment honored what they advertise.

I personally do not care if they charge.

I do,agree that hopefully Seaside is just experiencing a learning curve and some changes to the dinning and others issues brought up here by numerous folks get fixed soon...I really would like them to succeed the Seaside itself is a very beautiful and elegant ship.

And this is why I posted on another thread I wanted confirmation.

(1) we are getting conflicting information. I am ok with paying, but just didn't want it to change from one sailing to another. Consistency please!

(2) I have been on other cruiselines where the daily compass had errors and thought maybe the daily that was posted was incorrect.

nodak50 - I noticed you have 1 post, which was the above. How did you know about the zipline fee concern?

I haven't followed cruise critic much, mostly the fb forums, but they wished me happy birthday so I thought I'd take a look and saw this post .:)

It's $10/ride to be hooked up to their safety equipment but only $5 if you slide down the rope holding a towel. ;p;p:')

LOL!!

Sometimes I wonder if they just decide that Americans have lots of money and they will pay for anything.

If they want a stake in the American market I would think they need to take lessons from the other successful cruise lines....their website is just awful if you can even get on it, the restrictions of what you can order and drink and where you can drink it, no option to bring on a special bottle of wine or champagne.....etc. etc.

IMHO...Americans are used to good service and a reliable product, and they may or may not find that MSC provides that.

I just went back on the website and miraculously got right on! I wanted to purchase my shore excursions before our February sailing. The other day I saw excursions in Miami for those who are disembarking and the others "in transit", which we are. They had Everglades tours, one that would take us back to the ship afterward and one for those going to the airports after. And POOF!! They are no longer listed! Maybe they will be back tomorrow?

And the sad thing is that’s it’s a beautiful,ship with hardworking staff....it’s the bad management decisions on food choices and things like this that are keeping Seaside from shining.

Not to mention the Private Island that is not finished!! It was on our Itinerary when we first booked (and no, I don't believe it was because of Hurricanes.)

No OBC, no discount because we are Black (yes, nice they gave us that)....we were told we got such a good price from our TA that we couldn't get the discount....oh well.

When I try to tell my friends and family about MSC, I tell them that it is an "a la carte" type of cruise line. If you don't like that and feel you are being nickled dimed, then go pay for the "all inclusive" on other cruise lines at a much higher rate.

MSC's competition is not all-inclusive, so I'm not sure why you'd suggest having to go to the luxury lines as an alternative. In fact, including 12 drinks per person with the Fantastica experience makes the MORE A-I than their competitors like Royal and NCL. And the price seemed pretty comparable to Royal, at least for me.

The question is whether MSC is more nickel and dime than those companies, and with this change they're heading in that direction. And stuff I'm reading is making me much less excited about my cruise that starts 3 weeks from today.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Cruiselines do these types of things not for revenue but for crowd control. You can't compare the two lines as that isn't a major attraction on Oasis Class.

Completely agree. I would gladly pay $50 if it doesn't mean having to wait in hour long lines through the cruise.

Remember everyone, the alternative is going to RC's Labadee private island and paying for the zip line excursion over water which albeit interesting, costs $100 for ONE ride for ONE person. Give MSC some credit. This zip line is supposed to be like none other at sea and I have heard nothing but good remarks about the ride itself.

Sure RC and NCL don't charge for the zip line blatantly, but all it takes is looking at their fare prices to see you're getting a charge far more than 10 (it's just hidden).

Completely agree. I would pay $50 if it doesn't mean having to wait in hour long lines through the cruise.

Remember everyone, the alternative is going to RC's Labadee private island and paying for the zip line excursion over water which albeit interesting, costs $100 for ONE ride for ONE person. Give MSC some credit. This zip line is supposed to be like none other at sea and I have heard nothing but good remarks about the ride itself.

Your point is NOT true: one is going on a land based excursion (I am sure, MSC will charge $$$$ for excursions on their private island), the other; is that Royal DOES NOT charge, for its zip-line, water-slides, ice-skating, mini-golf, rock-wall, etc., on Oasis Class ships!

I would never pay $100 for the Labadee zip line, but there is no way you can possibly compare that to what's on Seaside. MSC gets no credit for adding the fee a few cruises in.

If we are going to talk comparisons I did a similar cruise last April on RC Adventure of the Seas. I think my so-called suite will end up being roughly the same size as the balcony cabin on that ship and the balcony a little smaller. The price I paid by booking the first week is about $50 more per person verses a balcony on that ship, and I got a classic all inclusive drink a plan for booking then.

From that standpoint I guess I did ok, but the problem is when I booked I did a great deal of research, and then I called and asked many questions. I had the opportunity at that time to get the Whirlpool Suite with Aurelia for just $230 per person more and would have had I not been told my suite would be just like the Whirlpool Suite except it would not have a whirlpool on the balcony. Even my original booking which I have printed out states a larger amount of square footage and that the room contains a bathtub. I was also told at that time the ship would have a zipline, kid's water park, and slides included at no extra cost. I asked especially because I like to try everything.

I feel like that really illustrates the problem at MSC. If they'd just be honest from the start people would not be up in arms about these things. There's no way they could have just decided on the ship the night before to add that part about charging for the ziplines and printed up Dailies with it. They've known it was going to be instated as of this first cruise completely within 2018 and yet have been telling people it was included.

Not to mention the Private Island that is not finished!! ......

we were told we got such a good price from our TA that we couldn't get the discount....oh well.

Yes, the same thing happened to us. Got matched to Gold because of my Platinum status on Carnival and was told that since our TA gave us a great discount on our YIN cabin, we would not receive the additional 5% from MSC..

Did see that Ocean Cay is on the itinerary for the 10/28/19 sailing of the Meraviglia out of NYC. Will be interesting to see if it comes true or not.

I feel like that really illustrates the problem at MSC. If they'd just be honest from the start people would not be up in arms about these things. There's no way they could have just decided on the ship the night before to add that part about charging for the ziplines and printed up Dailies with it. They've known it was going to be instated as of this first cruise completely within 2018 and yet have been telling people it was included.

This is absolutely my feelings about the entire thing. People keep bringing up the price, but for that isn't the point. The point is they have had major changes from what they initially told people, not minor ones. Also, I have prior cruises with Carnival, NCL, and Royal - and I think people are making up how much lower in price MSC is or they have been getting really bad deals. Our last five cruises (spanning Carnival, NCL, and Royal) - we got kids said free. What Seaside calls a suite just wouldn't pass for a suite on the NCL or Royal. Yes, the 2 bedroom Suite that I was in on Oasis last month was more expensive than the 2 bedroom suite I have booked on Seaside. However, while I cannot get a true answer from MSC as to the square footage of the actual room, I can tell from the two customer videos that I could find that our suite on Oasis was significantly larger than what we will be getting on Seaside.

I want to be excited about the perks that are provided in the Aurea class, but I can't get consistent answers as to what is and is not actually included. One simple question is whether or not kids can get milkshakes with their drink package. Some say yes, some say no. Some post things in writing from MSC saying yes, some post them saying no. Someone posted a review that said her children were allowed to get milkshakes sometimes, then they were refused them and told they never should have been given them at all by another employee on the ship another time. This should be a simple question to answer.

As I have said before, MSC can do whatever they want to. What I am completely befuddled by is why they won't simply DISCLOSE this information ahead of time. They are going completely against industry standard by charing for their zipline on the ship. None of the Oasis class ships charge for their zip line. Carnival does not charge for the skywalk. NCL does not charge for their ropes course. While it is a different type of bowling - NCL charges $5 per game, Seaside is charging $25. This information has come from customers, as there is nowhere on the MSC website that I can find out what the charge is. Royal Caribbean doesn't charge for zip line, ice skating, flow rider, or rock climbing. MSC deciding to charge for some of its most advertised features on the ship is not in line with the industry. I still cannot get true confirmation on if the interactive slide has a charge. At some point, the price point won't be a difference if you have to pay for things that are standard or significantly cheaper on other lines.

We chose MSC for the activities. I called regularly and scoured their website trying to get information. I didn't want to go in blind. They have even decided to break away from their own former practices. For instance, it was widely reported there was an inclusive package that could be purchased that would cover the cost of the simulators and such on their other ships. There was literally nothing on the website that indicated MSC would not be continuing this all inclusive play package on the Seaside. I have two kids that love bowling (they bowl with a league). I would have had no problem paying for an all inclusive package. But paying $25 for 30 minutes? Plus there is inconsistent information on whether bowling shoes are included in that price.

When Seaside was advertised, there was nothing to indicate there would only be the main dining room or the buffet as the complimentary dining options. Again, this is completely out of line with the industry for this size ship. For $100, I can eat four nights in any specialty restaurant on Oasis, ordering from the regular menu. For $189 I can eat at any speciality restaurant every night, plus lunch on sea days. MSC is offering the trio for $69, but people are reporting they were not able to get reservations for all three of their nights and there was no refund if any part is unused. Plus, the trio package has a different menu - a menu that cannot be found anywhere on MSCs website. So, I have no idea what the reduced menu is compared to the regular menu and having no idea how the reservation system works. Again, other lines with a restaurant package allow you to make your reservations before boarding - to ensure you get everything you paid for. This is a basic thing that would be expected.

I don't cruise on Seaside until December, so I am hanging in there with the hope that many of these things can get worked out over the next eleven months. I am very excited about a new experience and I have an open mind. But, it isn't a small thing that they built a ship without enough dining room space for all passengers when full capacity. It isn't a small thing that they can hold over 5,000, yet have only two complimentary dining options (one spread across two buffets the serve the same thing). Even the room service menu that I saw was significantly more limited than any other line in their category. Again, if all these things were disclosed ahead of time or available on the website that would be different. However, the only thing I have heard for six months is that MSC was trying to take head on Carnival, Royal, and Norwegian. I have heard for six months they wanted to woe people away from those lines. I didn't book Seaside thinking I was getting the Walmart experience and the only thing they were offering was cheap price. Yes, the prices were a bit cheaper than the others (but like I said - there is not apples to apples comparison for things like suite prices), I thought those prices were temporarily low in order to convince the first wave of folks to give them a try. I didn't think I was buying an intentional downgrade from Royal and NCL. And yes, assigning people to eat dinner in the buffet where the regular tables are simply covered with tablecloths is a downgraded experience. Oasis holds over 1,000 more people than Seaside at full capacity and still manages to not charge for their zip line, so yes, this is a downgraded experience. We stopped cruising Carnival because we were looking for something a little more our style. Everything I had heard about MSC said they were comparable to and even better in many ways to Royal and NCL. Now all I am hearing from loyalist is, "Well, you paid so little, what did you expect!" Okay, great - advertise as a lower end cruise and people will come in with lower end expectations. But, don't advertise as the equivalent to and competition for Royal and NCL and then get upset when people point out things like - charging for the zip line.

suzyed ... You have been stitched up by your travel agent, the 5% discount is given by MSC and has nothing to do with any that a travel agent might give! it seems to me that they have offset their discount by using the one from MSC! anytime we have had a discount from a UK travel agent we have also had our MSC discount.

We have done the Zip line on Labadee and both rides were worth every $, there is no comparison to the one on Seaside which has its speed governed so it is a nice leisurely 15 seconds or so ride.

There has been no advance warning that their would be a charge for the Zip line just in the same way that they removed the 18 drink vouchers, the Senior management need to grow up and stop trying to manage everything themselves or they will fail at some point in the USA.

DAjedu ... On the Xmas cruise there was a charge for bowling shoes which was $2 a pair, there was no charge for the slide board tube either. We used all 3 slides while onboard.

Edited by sidari