Celebrity and Glass Blowing

boobasimcha

It's not on every Solstice-class ship, though. The two newest ones (Silhouette and Reflection) put a restaurant in that location instead. I doubt they'll be on the newer builds, either (speculation at this point).

The hot glass shows are on the Solstice, Equinox and Eclipse. They are not on the later ships as celebrity has moved that space from an expense space (Celebrity pays Corning Museum to do the shows) to an increase the revenue space (lawn grill). No one seems to know how long the contract with Corning runs....Personally, I think there's a good chance that the hot glass shows will disappear when those ships next go into drydock (depending, of course, on Corning Contracts and the cost of converting the space).

Glad to hear they're so good. Sailed on the Silhouette in Sept and loved the Lawn Club Grill. Disappointed that it won't be on the Solstice when we sail it in August so at least we should enjoy the show that's there instead of our favorite Specialty Restaurant.

We are looking forward to seeing this on Equinox. Is it something you need to arrive early to for a view?

Yes, there's very little seating, so get there early. We went to see it on the Equinox in Oct and not only was there no seating left but there were so many people standing, we left.

We are looking forward to seeing this on Equinox. Is it something you need to arrive early to for a view?

Haven't done it on Equinox but I've never had a problem getting seats on Eclipse (same class)...shows are always crowded but they have the 3-5 times a day on sea days so you really should be able to go if you want to...shows run about an hour and they usually make 3 pieces at each show and of course each show is different. I love and collect colored glass and even made my own paperweight at Wheaton Glass Factory so I'll often go to more than one show. FYI: If it's cold up there they'll also have a cart full of blankets as well.

I'm not sure if it still the practice but when we sailed on the Equinox and the Solstice a few years ago the glass artists would often pass out tickets for a draw to be held at the end (usually the last show of the day). We were never lucky enough to win but it is worth hanging around until the end of the presentation just in case...

I'm not sure if it still the practice but when we sailed on the Equinox and the Solstice a few years ago the glass artists would often pass out tickets for a draw to be held at the end (usually the last show of the day). We were never lucky enough to win but it is worth hanging around until the end of the presentation just in case...

Yes they still do that....but on Eclipse it as at the end of EACH show.....I went to the auction but would have had to sell my house to bid. Pieces started around $500 and bidding was in $100 increments.

I believe the auction proceeds are intended to benefit a charitable organization -- hence the high bids. Add to that the extra cost of safely carrying the piece home - specially if traveling by air -- and it does get a little out of hand.

I believe the auction proceeds are intended to benefit a charitable organization -- hence the high bids. Add to that the extra cost of safely carrying the piece home - specially if traveling by air -- and it does get a little out of hand.

Yes they do..usually something involving the environment or oceanic wildlife. I was always hesitant to bid because they tell you up front that you're on your own for getting it home and the shops will not provide bubble wrap. But that is a beautiful bowl. I have a small piece by

Chihuly that I bought in Denver and but I was able to buy bubble wrap and wrap it about 6" thick!

• 4 weeks later...
Yes they do..usually something involving the environment or oceanic wildlife. I was always hesitant to bid because they tell you up front that you're on your own for getting it home and the shops will not provide bubble wrap. But that is a beautiful bowl. I have a small piece by

Chihuly that I bought in Denver and but I was able to buy bubble wrap and wrap it about 6" thick!

They auction off 7 pieces for each cruise. The lawyers have determined that each glassblower is allowed to auction off two of their pieces, with the proceeds funding Corning Museum of Glass scholarships, while still maintaining the Museum's non-profit status.

The additional 7th piece, a group effort creation, is auctioned off with the proceeds benefiting the current Celebrity Cruises global charity, which changes about every 5 years. It is currently the WWF (World Wildlife Fund), and previously it was breast cancer research.

Fun fact: the highest ever winning bid for a glassblown piece on Celebrity was for $5000, and that auction went fast as it also came as the opening bid. The story behind it was that as they were almost finished making the group piece and talking about trying to break the current auction record of $4300 and about the breast cancer charity beneficiary, a woman in the audience who fell in love with the creation said out loud, "I'd pay $5000 for that!" The staff heard her and challenged her to come back for the auction because they'll keep an eye out for her. Sure enough, she attended, and when that piece came up, the auctioneer immediately looked her straight in the eye and she smiled and bid $5000! Turns out her mother also had just recently beaten breast cancer and wanted to pay it forward.

Have celebrity dispensed with the glass blowing on their Solstice class ships? Anyone know?

There is another thread here pointing out that the Hot Glass is about to ride into the sunset.

They will be running to, at most, the end ofFebruary

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just off the Eclipse

The hot glass show was on . They are presently rebuilding their equipment on board which will take several days, which means the show will go on for at least a few more sailings.

But, alas, they did state the the show was coming to an end, they just didn't know the exact date.