CPAP Machine

ozcruizer

We order distilled water ahead and it's waiting in the cabin for DH. Just a head's up if you're flying. TWA now makes you open the CPAP case so they can inspect it.

If you pass TSA why would an airline ask to see your CPAP, that’s crazy?

If you mean TSA I have never had to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you pass TSA why would an airline ask to see your CPAP, that’s crazy?

If you mean TSA I have never had to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have traveled through Toronto Ontario and Fort Myers Florida airports in the past couple of years with my DH's CPAP machine in tow. Each time going through security, I had to remove the machine from the carrying case and place in the bin that goes through the scanner. I don't think it is the airlines policy but rather Border Security in both Canada and the US.

The only time I have had a problem was in Amsterdam. I packed my CPAP in my carry on luggage to make going through that zoo of an airport. Security pulled me out and made me open my carry on. She scolded me about putting in in my luggage. Have gone through US TSA, no problem putting it in my carry on. Could be because we have TSA precheck? No TSA precheck in foreign countries

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have been traveling with cpap for years. My only problem was on the Osterdaam this year. I did not receive my bag so I had to go to Guest services for help. It was confiscated because of 2 extension cords that I carry in the bag. I was told they were not acceptable. Now, I have used both on over 200 days cruising, one is heavy duty UL approved 15 ft. Yet they were not allowed. What was really crazy, is they provided 6 ft. surge protected power strip for me to use instead!

The room steward was kind enough to find a simple extension cord just before bedtime.

I suggest you carry, not only your machine and mask, but also your extension cord in your carry on luggage.

The only time I have had a problem was in Amsterdam. I packed my CPAP in my carry on luggage to make going through that zoo of an airport. Security pulled me out and made me open my carry on. She scolded me about putting in in my luggage. Have gone through US TSA, no problem putting it in my carry on. Could be because we have TSA precheck? No TSA precheck in foreign countries

My DH uses a CPAP and TSA has changed their requirements for these machines. They can no longer be packed inside your suitcase and must be carried separately. Out last trip the agent complimented him on knowing the new requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DH uses a CPAP and TSA has changed their requirements for these machines. They can no longer be packed inside your suitcase and must be carried separately. Out last trip the agent complimented him on knowing the new requirement.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When did they change the rules? I packed mine in my carryon flying from the west coast in February. No problem

I made drawstring bags large enough to hold the mask and tubing. Each morning I put the hose and mask in the bag, draw the cord tight and rest it all on top of the machine. It is out of the way and stays clean through vacuuming and other dusting but I don't have to bother unhooking everything.

It isn't an issue. Order distilled water before your cruise and it will be waiting for you. Since you will be at sea level, I usually don't use extra humidification. If needed, you can ask your steward for an extension cord and they will bring you one.

I might have the newer CPAP machine, but the tubing is heated and retains a bit of moisture during the night. I always hang it to drain. The last couple of cruises, I hung it on the shower fixture. I do not think I would pack it away or put it in a bag. It needs to dry out

I might have the newer CPAP machine, but the tubing is heated and retains a bit of moisture during the night. I always hang it to drain. The last couple of cruises, I hung it on the shower fixture. I do not think I would pack it away or put it in a bag. It needs to dry out

This is a great idea. I should do it too. I have one like that but didn't realize that I should do it. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

We flew the end of February and had them packed in our checked luggage with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aren't you concerned if your luggage is lost you won't have your CPAP?

On one cruise the airline lost my luggage until the next afternoon. I always have had it as carry on as I'd be terrified of sleeping without using it.

Everyone has their comfort levels and after carrying them on for the last 15 years, we are comfortable packing them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wish I didn't have to carry it on my shoulder but I'm more scared of dying from not using it! It certainly gets heavy after awhile.

I'm more worried about how checked luggage is treated than whether it would go astray with my cpap. That machine is expensive and I don't want it damaged when they throw my suitcase on the tarmac.

I wish I didn't have to carry it on my shoulder but I'm more scared of dying from not using it! It certainly gets heavy after awhile.

My travel case for my CPAP has a strap on the back that slips over the handle of my carry on wheeled luggage...bet yours does too!

My travel case for my CPAP has a strap on the back that slips over the handle of my carry on wheeled luggage...bet yours does too!

Yes it does have a strap. I've tried doing that when wheeling our luggage to check in. After the luggage is checked though we don't have carry on-my hubby has a backpack and I have my purse & the CPAP. As I get older the CPAP gets heavier!

After the luggage is checked though we don't have carry on-my hubby has a backpack and I have my purse & the CPAP.

Buy a tote-style carry-on and pack the CPAP in that. You can find them with long handles that collapse when not in use. Drag the CPAP behind you.

It will fit under the seat in front of you on the plane, so you don't have to lift it into the overhead bin.

Yes, even the newer, lighter weight CPAP machines do get heavy fast.

We had similar experience when on Norman.......we take our own cords but they had one ready at our pre-request .......we also have used tap water for short periods with no problems but when you consider the cost of a cruise i think the 3.00 gallon for distilled water delivered to room is a great deal......