super large groups on Princess?

Mary loves to travel

There have been threads about Chumley (not Chumbley) Bear Cruises, mostly stocky, hairy gay men. The general consensus --save for a few posters uptight the world doesn't adhere to their morals-- seemed to be that they are nice people... just as the Cookie Lee ladies were described.

Sad that Princess staff takes the apparent attitude that "there's too many of them to control..." as quite frankly, Princess has MORE CONTROL over a group than individual passengers.

Group leaders have a vested interest ensuring their attendees adhere to host (cruise line or hotel) rules. Upset the cruise line or hotel and your group might not be welcomed back. Speaking from experience in the convention hotel business, potential groups are required to supply references, where they've held meetings prior. Wise hotels understand the balance between a quick fill with discounted group business vs. upset retail guests that may need to be compensated for inconveniences due to the groups activities.

Liz54, I'm interested to know if you had been confirmed for late seating traditional dining originally, then bumped to buffet or early seating.

YES! We booked our cruise as one 14 day cruise. We were confirmed for late dining at a table of 8. We were told on our last evening (day 7) that we were OUT. It was outrageous. Our whole table - and many more were simply displaced and everyone was very upset. We love late traditional at 8. The buffet or before 6.15 is NOT equivalent.

YES! We booked our cruise as one 14 day cruise. We were confirmed for late dining at a table of 8. We were told on our last evening (day 7) that we were OUT. It was outrageous. Our whole table - and many more were simply displaced and everyone was very upset. We love late traditional at 8. The buffet or before 6.15 is NOT equivalent.

Though - staying in the dining room may have been a nightmare also. We booked a B2B and had confirmed dining for early. Great first week, second week there were approx 800 people from one nationality that came onboard. I think they bumped everyone from early seating but us. The Matride asked if we wanted to stay, not knowing who was coming and we said -yes. We had a full dining room of very loud and very rude people (because as a whole group - they are a lot more obnoxious than individuals are). They started smoking in the dining room, they were all very drunk before they got to the dining room - the first night was a true nightmare. Even though they all had lived in the US for many years, they all insisted on speaking their native tongue so they had to switch wait staff around, etc... Thankfully, the Matride set us up at the same time in another dining room because staying in the original dining room would have been awful. BTW - I am not against this nationality at all - I had studied their history in college enough to have a minor and had traveled there a few times.

Not a fan of large groups.

Though - staying in the dining room may have been a nightmare also. We booked a B2B and had confirmed dining for early. Great first week, second week there were approx 800 people from one nationality that came onboard. I think they bumped everyone from early seating but us. The Matride asked if we wanted to stay, not knowing who was coming and we said -yes. We had a full dining room of very loud and very rude people (because as a whole group - they are a lot more obnoxious than individuals are). They started smoking in the dining room, they were all very drunk before they got to the dining room - the first night was a true nightmare. Even though they all had lived in the US for many years, they all insisted on speaking their native tongue so they had to switch wait staff around, etc... Thankfully, the Matride set us up at the same time in another dining room because staying in the original dining room would have been awful. BTW - I am not against this nationality at all - I had studied their history in college enough to have a minor and had traveled there a few times.

Not a fan of large groups.

Neither am I obviously. Our large group was gospel singers. They did not sing in public, but they were all non drinkers. There was ample space in the bars. I felt sorry for the staff who worked in bars and had no customers!

Funny aside: A room steward said they were run off their feel restocking the mini bars. They did not drink in public!!

We were on the Crown four years ago when a large group from Cleveland were doing their annual Super Bowl Cruise. They took over the ship. Shorts in the MDR on formal night and they (staff) let them in. Said there were too many of them and wasn't worth trying. Bottles and glasses in the pools and no one said anything about that either. The group basically did what ever they wanted and no one said a word about it.

Well considering their chances of making it to an actual Super Bowl in the near future is very slim maybe we should let them have a little fun. Who let the dogs out? Yes, I’m a Steeler fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WE were on the Crown four years ago when a large group from Cleveland were doing their annual Super Bowl Cruise. They took over the ship. Shorts in the MDR on formal night and they (staff) let them in. Said there were too many of them and wasn't worth trying. Bottles and glasses in the pools and no one said anything about that either. The group basically did what ever they wanted and no one said a word about it.

just wait until the Browns are in the super bowl

Princess regularly have a very large group for "Concerts at Sea". We had the misfortune of being on one of their cruises. There were around 1000 of them. They had many activities that were restricted to them. They took over everything and limited venues etc. for others.

We are on a Concerts at Sea cruise but not as a participant. I can always chill on my balcony. And since this is my I beat breast cancer cruise, I’m not letting anything bring me down. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The largest groups we have seen were those rowdy Cruise Critic Roll Call people. There have been as may as 500 of them. :)

Seriously, we have never had a problem with groups, but we take longer cruises. We leave on our 45th Princess cruise tomorrow and only 3 have been less than todays. Most groups are on the week or shorter cruises.

Sad that they didn't offer an assigned table in the anytime dining room at 8pm as an accommodation.

Neither am I obviously. Our large group was gospel singers. They did not sing in public, but they were all non drinkers. There was ample space in the bars. I felt sorry for the staff who worked in bars and had no customers!

Funny aside: A room steward said they were run off their feel restocking the mini bars. They did not drink in public!!

Too funny! Amen and PTL!

It may or may not be of value but one can always check THIS SITE to find if your cruise is a "theme cruise" or has any large groups.

Is there a listing by cruise line and date on that site? I seem to only find by theme and I just want to check my cruises to see if there are any groups.

We sailed with the 'Santas' - it was a group of professional Santas from around the world - who looked the part without the need for any costumes! It was fascinating, and you could recognize them throughout the ship at all times. They had a number of private events, mainly in the meeting-type rooms, though they did also take over a lounge or two for a couple hours throughout the week. I didn't notice many other disruptions and it was quite entertaining.

It may or may not be of value but one can always check THIS SITE to find if your cruise is a "theme cruise" or has any large groups.

Thanks for the link - very helpful, but it does not list all the theme group cruises. By Googling our Celebrity cruise date, I found a gay theme booking offer that is not listed on this site. I really don't care what any group believes in or supports, only the size of the group and whether or not they will take over otherwise public spaces. As much as I'd like to see the cruise lines divulge this information, there have been enough posts on CC on this topic, that I don't think it's going to happen any time soon.

Last year, I heard about a theme cruise too late to jump onto it. Happy Together, a tour featuring Flo and Eddie from the Turtles, was going on a cruise. When I stumbled on it (looking for Happy Together concert dates), I was very excited, but it was all sold out.

Thanks to this thread, I just ran another google search and there is a 2019 Happy Together cruise for us to check out. Celebrity Summit! So, any 60's rock haters, avoid this cruise!

Herman’s Hermits

starring

Peter Noone, The Hollies, The Turtles

featuring

Flo & Eddie, Felix Cavaliere’s Rascals, The Guess Who, The Grass Roots, The Association, The Family Stone,

Cruise Host

Peter Asher, Canned Heat, The Buckinghams, The Cowsills, Mitch Ryder & The Detroit Wheels, 50 Summers of Love

starring

Micky Dolenz

of The The Monkees,

Mark Lindsay

former lead singer of Paul Revere & The Raiders and

The Fab Four!!