Question re Vodka & tonic/ Gin & tonic packages

debsjc

Quick question for my friend who is about to take her first HAL cruise.

The Vodka & tonic and Gin & tonic packages that you can buy for your cabin, can they only be purchased in advance online, or can they also be bought on board?

Thanks

Thanks very much Krazy Kruisers

Just one more question - The Soda card that is $25 for $50 of Soda, is that only fountain soda, and not cans?

It is for fountain soda.

there have been the odd report of being able to get a can but it is for fountain soda.

The G&T or V&T packages only give you three cans of tonic (and it is pretty crappy tonic water, I agree), so even with a package you will need more tonic (unless you like really strong drinks). Which is I guess why the OP asked about the soda card. But if you have a mini-fridge in the cabin, you can also ask your cabin steward to take out all of the cans of pop that you don't like or won't drink, and replace them with an equivalent number of cans of tonic.

And you can also call room service and order a plate of limes :D

I got a G&T package on my last cruise and it was Bombay Gin, not Saphire, and a no name Tonic. It wasn’t bad!

I also think that the G&T packages are less costly than the Gins by themselves, although you have a greater selection.

DD

....if you have a mini-fridge in the cabin, you can also ask your cabin steward to take out all of the cans of pop that you don't like or won't drink, and replace them with an equivalent number of cans of tonic....

What is the approximate cost of a can of tonic?

What is the approximate cost of a can of tonic?

I think it’s still $2.25, for any can of soda. But 4* and 5* Mariners get the 50% discount for mini-bar items, and 3* get 25% off.

You might want to wait until after leaving port to place your order. Otherwise local taxes will apply and they can be hefty.

Yes, that’s a good suggestion. Even when you pre-order, you can specify delivery “in cabin on boarding”, or “delivery at sea”. If you ask for the liquor to be in your cabin before sailing, you will be charged the applicable local port tax for alcohol. Delivery at sea avoids these taxes.

Am I correct in assuming that the on board price is the same as the advance price?

Regarding the sales tax, after sale away on the first day, I presume there would not be any tax.

Thanks in advance for your help and answers.

We also enjoy gin and tonics. Since we usually do transatlantic cruises, we have plenty of time for a late afternoon G & T. We buy several six packs of small bottles of tonic water at a FLL grocery store along with a half dozen limes. We buy a bottle of gin from HAL (you can order individual bottles of liquor without the added mixer).

Can you purchase it in the store and bring it to the room?

Nope, they don't allow you to buy in the store and immediately bring it back to your room. I think HAL still lets you pick up your on board liquor purchases the last night of the cruise. This would allow you to do a quality assurance test on your purchases before getting off the ship the next day. ;-) Check behind me on whether that is still the case.

Carnival no longer does that last night deal. You have to stand in line the morning you leave. Oddly they have one line for ship purchases and one line for purchases made on shore. Translation: You might spend a lot of time doing this when you are trying to get ashore. The lines can be quite long too. I've concluded that it isn't worth the effort. We order for the room but don't buy anything on board for Carnival.

Another odd thing is that Carnival charges much more for the same bottle for in room consumption than HAL does. Carnival limits you to two bottles and HAL doesn't.

I find it odd that cruise lines within the same company would approach things differently.

Can you purchase it in the store and bring it to the room?
Nope, they don't allow you to buy in the store and immediately bring it back to your room. I think HAL still lets you pick up your on board liquor purchases the last night of the cruise. This would allow you to do a quality assurance test on your purchases before getting off the ship the next day. ;-) Check behind me on whether that is still the case.

You cannot buy alcohol from the on-board duty-free shop and take it with you; HAL holds it for you until the last night, as Miata said. The same applies for any alcohol that you might buy in port (excluding certain HAL shore excursions and your one-per-person bottle of wine when boarding).

Yes, HAL still gives you your alcohol back the night before dis-embarking (at least as of Dec. 31, 2017).

You cannot buy alcohol from the on-board duty-free shop and take it with you; HAL holds it for you until the last night, as Miata said. The same applies for any alcohol that you might buy in port (excluding certain HAL shore excursions and your one-per-person bottle of wine when boarding).

Yes, HAL still gives you your alcohol back the night before dis-embarking (at least as of Dec. 31, 2017).

Paul, thanks for the confirmation. We hadn't been on HAL in a year so I wasn't 'up to date' on the rules.

Paul, you don't happen to know whether the price of a bottle ordered from room service is the same as a price ordered on line in advance.

I usually order it in advance but would like to option of ordering on board instead.

Thanks much,

Larry

I didnt see these packages online. how much is the package? how much is just a bottle of gin?
Paul, you don't happen to know whether the price of a bottle ordered from room service is the same as a price ordered on line in advance.

I usually order it in advance but would like to option of ordering on board instead.

I believe that you can only see the packages when you log in and look to buy them for a current reservation.

Online advance purchase: Tanqueray $52.50, Bombay Sapphire $56.25. Which matches the prices that Crew News posted above in his link for the room service menu. So that also answer's Larry's question!

The Gin & Tonic package is only $46.25, but that's because they substitute the cheaper Bombay gin (not Sapphire). Which is maybe okay for G&T's, but not for martini's :D