Cheers vs NCL ultimate beverage?

tap_out

I have to be honest while reading though some reviews I was really surprised to see that it seemed some people preferred Cheers over NCL's program. Just really wanted to get some feedback on this, just doesn't seem to stack up to me. NCL no drink limit, top shelf with a ton of selections. We were drinking high end vodka the whole cruise with a ton of options. No problem pouring doubles. Almost all of the bars had there own separate drink menu with different specialties drinks.

We have sailed Carnival and love "never actually had the cheers" it but the Cheers program vs NCl has us leaning towards NCL again. Really just wanted some feedback for who has both and which you preferred and why. Cost isnt really a factor. The money we would save on carnival brings the price right up with NCL after we purchase Cheers.

Haven’t had cheers but have had NCLs bev package. My issues with it were:

1. The cost limit - $15 on NCL and their menu actually includes many over that cost. They also tend to pre-make large batches of the ‘included’ drinks and pour out of those if you order one so to get a freshly made drink you have to order something above the package price

2. Specialty coffee and bottled water aren’t included. I couldn’t care less about the bottled water but do enjoy some fancy coffees.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi

Most people select the cruise line according to things like itinerary, ship amenities, value. If you feel that NCL offers a drink package that tips the scales in their favor, then you should go with them. Don't forget, people might not prefer NCL for reasons other than the drink package.

Although, you say, you haven't tried the Cheers package, so maybe you should give it a try, so you can make your own determination of what is best for you. It sounds like you have little to lose.

have a great cruise

Haven’t had cheers but have had NCLs bev package. My issues with it were:

1. The cost limit - $15 on NCL and their menu actually includes many over that cost. They also tend to pre-make large batches of the ‘included’ drinks and pour out of those if you order one so to get a freshly made drink you have to order something above the package price

2. Specialty coffee and bottled water aren’t included. I couldn’t care less about the bottled water but do enjoy some fancy coffees.

Is the $15 limit something new? If not I honestly do not remember seeing one thing that wasn't included in that price. We were drinking doubles of grey goose and tried pretty much every drink they had to offer.

Got to agree with you the Coffee is a nice perk on Carnival

Have had both, and they both have their pros and cons.

My problem with NCL is the price limit. $15 is really low, considering they price the nice stuff at $16.95 and up. Yes, you get credit for the first $15, but then you owe the difference plus 18% gratuity. With Cheers, anything up to $50 is covered (I never was able to find that $50 drink, though).

As far as price goes, Cheers is much less expensive. The difference is that NCL "gives away" their drink package to almost anyone that books a cabin, so very few actually purchase the package. Carnival never gives any deals on the Cheers package (I guess they figure it is already a deal).

There is a limit with Cheers on how many drinks you can buy (15), but there is no limit on NCL. We've found that if you make friends with the Carnival bartenders and slip them some cash tips (nothing huge), occasionally they "forget" to ring up your drink. You can also only get one drink at a time with Cheers, and on NCL you can get two. I managed to reach the max with Cheers only twice on a 7 day cruise -- and only because I was trying to.

It really depends on what you are looking for. If you prefer higher-end drinks, Cheers is probably the way to go. If you are looking to maximize your liquor intake, NCL would be the best bet. We tend to book based on itinerary.

And...don't forget...When they throw in the beverage package as an incentive...you still pay $125/gratuity. Also how many people drink more than 15 drinks in a day???? You would have no problem with high end vodka on Carnival.... I would think the high end would only have cost impacts on certain whiskeys, scotch , and brandies. etc Also Carnivals Cheers is more inclusive with other type beverages on cruise (coffees, water, etc)

True I had forgot about the coffee, water and energy drinks on Carnival that is a plus.

I honestly don't ever remember paying more the $15 for a drink but it has been a couple years. I guess we could have just had the extra put on our card. Can you guys give some examples of things that were over the $15?

Ncl inside with beverage package $2620

Carnival without beverage package $1920 plus cheers

Makes the price a wash in this instance

True I had forgot about the coffee, water and energy drinks on Carnival that is a plus.

I honestly don't ever remember paying more the $15 for a drink but it has been a couple years. I guess we could have just had the extra put on our card. Can you guys give some examples of things that were over the $15?

Ncl inside with beverage package $2620

Carnival without beverage package $1920 plus cheers

Makes the price a wash in this instance

Don't forget to add in the $125/pp service chg for the beverage package on NCL if not already included in your calculations

Gotcha yeah that was factored in.

One thing I think I should mention for big drinkers like ourselves is the Alchemy bar. This is a big plus and would be something we would really look forward to experimenting with. On our last cruise we only had a few drinks here because of the price but with Cheers can see the wife and I spending alot of time here.

The new Brew Pub on NCL is hard to pass up and have really been looking forward to that and the mojito bars are AWESOME!

Had the NCL package. To me is was the loser due to the fact they have so few servers and it takes forever to get drinks unless you go get them yourself. I'll take Carnival for the service alone..

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I think NCL has greatly increased their drink prices over the last few years. There was a specialty gin and tonic and cosmo over the limit. The espresso and chocolate martinis are over. Half the martini bar menu was over. Think a lot of the premium liquors are over now too.

I think NCL has greatly increased their drink prices over the last few years. There was a specialty gin and tonic and cosmo over the limit. The espresso and chocolate martinis are over. Half the martini bar menu was over. Think a lot of the premium liquors are over now too.

Like I said its been over 2 years since we cruised. So this is very helpful and could sway are decision. Thanks for the input!

Tap out

Flavored Vodka’s are over

Good Scotch (Glenfiddich) is over

I believe Hendricks Gin is

Chocolate and Expresso Martini’s are

That was Oct. 2016

NCL has made quite a few over the 15.00 HOWEVER there is still plenty of decent alcohol available

As far as Carnival Cheers we will see in May as it’s been about 5 years since we sailed them

Carnival does have more available with their package.

Both have positives and negatives. CCL's gets the nod from me by a small margin because we rarely reach the 15 drink limit and it is way more inclusive. However, price wise NCL will many times come out on top saving me money. I have compared similar sailings many times and found that while sometimes it is a wash, normally the total on NCL was a good bit lower than Carnival + Cheers. NCL limits the selections by price but we can always find plenty to drink.

I only exceed the $15 limit once while on the NCL Breakaway in the Haven bar. It was $18 something for some type of Mojito. I asked the barman to mix me what he considered the best drink they train them to make. I paid the amount over $15 plus gratuity. I had more than 15 drinks on that cruise maybe once or twice. I really liked how NCL allowed you two at a time and let you get the bottles unopened so we basically filled our fridge in the room with a couple of trips. I look forward to checking out the Cheers, although aside form some bubbly in the steak house I am not sure what gets over $20 a drink.

I have to be honest while reading though some reviews I was really surprised to see that it seemed some people preferred Cheers over NCL's program. Just really wanted to get some feedback on this, just doesn't seem to stack up to me. NCL no drink limit, top shelf with a ton of selections. We were drinking high end vodka the whole cruise with a ton of options. No problem pouring doubles. Almost all of the bars had there own separate drink menu with different specialties drinks.

We have sailed Carnival and love "never actually had the cheers" it but the Cheers program vs NCl has us leaning towards NCL again. Really just wanted some feedback for who has both and which you preferred and why. Cost isnt really a factor. The money we would save on carnival brings the price right up with NCL after we purchase Cheers.

This is a topic that is very subjective but for what's its worth here is my two cents.

NCL:

We cruised NCL Jade January 2016 and again January 2017, both times with the beverage package. I missed having the options for bottled water and fancy coffee and tea drinks that other lines typically included. In 2016 they did not have the pre-made drinks and we throughly enjoyed the beverage package. In 2017 the pre-made drinks were everywhere and we did NOT like this, they did not taste fresh or even balanced. One of the things we enjoy is getting to know our bartenders and watching them create our cocktail, the pre-made took that away. There were several drinks on the menus that were over the $15 limit in 2017 that were under in 2016, that was frustrating. We enjoyed the martini bar in 2016 but with the price changes and pre-made cocktails we didn't care for it in 2017.

Part of having a beverage program while cruising is trying things we wouldn't have at home because it is included and if we don't care for it we can give it back and get something else all without extra charges. Did we ever get 15 drinks on either of these cruises - I doubt it but we were not counting. NCL doesn't really allow you to have two drinks, they can see that there are two people in the cabin both with the beverage package so they only need one card. You also do not have to sign a slip each time which is a plus.

CARNIVAL:

We will cruise on Carnival in February with Cheers! We are excited to have the beverage program and we will enjoy it especially with the $50 drink limit we won't have to make sure it is part of the package. We will also enjoy having the bottled water, specialty coffees, teas and even milkshakes. The last time I cruised on Carnival I don't believe there was a Cheers program.

CELEBRITY:

I know you didn't ask about this one but I thought I would give my opinion anyway. This was our first experience with a beverage package and really hooked us. I don't recall any limitation on number of drinks but I do know there were some high end wines that were not part of the package. The ship had an ice bar where they made great martinis, we tried them all over the course of the cruise and it is still one of our favorite on ship bars. There was also a great wine bar which we frequented and tried many, including the ones that were not suppose to be part of the package.

Overall cost comparisons. Before beverage packages we could easily rack up $1000 bar bill in a week and with a beverage package that is now zero. We are just paying it in advance instead of after. For us paying in advance is an advantage as I can work it in to my budget as we typically plan a year out. Since I typically make monthly payments then there is no credit card balance and interest which we would have if we didn't prepay.

Of course those people who are not moderate or more drinkers a beverage package with alcohol may not be cost effective for them. Some people prefer to use their money on other things. Ultimately how you spend your hard earned money is a matter of choice and you should do what makes you happy so that at the end of your cruise you go home refreshed and relaxed instead of stressed out.

A Dark and Stormy (rum and ginger beer) was $22 and change in October '16.

I switch back and fourth between CCL and NCL... As a solo, I mostly choose NCL (solo cabin) and their included beverage package over Carnival (paying double occupancy plus the price of Cheers puts the total cost above Norwegian) They do have "pre-made" drinks at many of the bars, but they will make you a fresh drink if you ask. There are very few drinks over the $15 limit, and you only pay the difference above that.

Other drinks over the $15 limit on NCL were higher-end whiskies and Scotches. There were a few martinis that go over the limit.

On Carnival, they have a very nice 18 year old Scotch -- Aberfeldy 18 -- that is included. There is also a 12 year old version, but why bother with that when the 18 year old is also available! They also sell both in the Fun Shops, along with a 21 year bottle. Unfortunately, the 21 year old is not available at the bars.