Flow rider-Falling

So explain to me. When you fall on the flow rider, doesn’t it hurt?! It looks painful in all of the videos I see, unless the ground is padded under the water? Also I am thinking about kneeling on the board for a safer ride, but is there anyway to quit the surf without falling?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't read the other replies, so it's likely someone else mentioned this, but the floor is padded -- a bit like a wrestling mat. But, yes, it hurts! The first time I did it, I fell and smacked my head so hard I had a headache for two days. That's why they make you sign a waiver. I was also so stunned during the fall that I snorted half the pool up my nose. I went back six years later and did it again with much better results. :) (P.S. -- Before I did it the first time, I jokingly asked the guy at the waiver desk what the chances were that I'd lose my bikini top. His stone-faced reply: "50 percent." I wore a T-shirt and shorts over top and was glad I did!)

Wow, what a thread.... The floor is a trampoline except at the top. The falls are mostly benign, as you are falling on a trampoline with a giant pump throwing water up it. 99.9% of falls are just a bounce and a wash away. The board on stand-up is hard and if it hits you it can do damage. The board is mostly avoidable and not really an issue. Falling is always at least uncomfortable, but when is falling anything else?

I think that most people fall and get off and never do it again. If you do it again, there is a great chance you are going to love it. Loving it means you spend thousands of dollars going on cruise after cruise. I love it. It is the reason why we cruise.

JC

No Flow, No Go.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

The staff is helpful and some of them are great coaches. There is always a risk with anything athletic and yes, you will fall because that's essentially when your ride is over. Kneeling on the boogie board means less of a fall. I ended up with a good bruise -- but it was so fun!

So explain to me. When you fall on the flow rider, doesn’t it hurt?! It looks painful in all of the videos I see, unless the ground is padded under the water? Also I am thinking about kneeling on the board for a safer ride, but is there anyway to quit the surf without falling?? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are far more experienced people here than me, but I've never found the fall to be too bad. However many people get hurt after the fall when they get flushed out the back. I was told when that happens curl up into a ball till you hit the back wall, then try to get up. lots of finger and toe nails get lost against that back wall.

Flowriding is just like any sport: skateboarding, surfing, skiing, wakeboarding, snowboarding etc. It's a sport, the chance to injury yourself is there. It's actually pretty low compared to some of the others however and as has been mentioned 99 rides out of a 100 the worst you usually have to worry about is some water up the nose or losing your bathing suit.

To the posters stating that the flowrider is the main draw to the cruise, do waterparks near you not have them?

Yes but then I don’t have all my food cooked for me, my housekeeping all done and get to visit exotic locations in the Caribbean in between times on the flow.

Yes but then I don’t have all my food cooked for me, my housekeeping all done and get to visit exotic locations in the Caribbean in between times on the flow.

There is a flowrider about 30 minutes from my house, and it has been there for at least 5 years, and I have never gone. It is only open basically when school is out (it is outside and we have winter here) so, I can't really imagine going there and waiting in line as probably the only adult doing it. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so. I have considered renting it one evening and bringing a few friends, but my guess is that like 90% of the people on a cruise after a couple of falls, they will no longer want to play with me.

JC

There is a flowrider about 30 minutes from my house, and it has been there for at least 5 years, and I have never gone. It is only open basically when school is out (it is outside and we have winter here) so, I can't really imagine going there and waiting in line as probably the only adult doing it. I could be completely wrong, but I don't think so. I have considered renting it one evening and bringing a few friends, but my guess is that like 90% of the people on a cruise after a couple of falls, they will no longer want to play with me.

JC

You’d be surprised. There are quite a few adults who ride and you might make some new friends. I go about twice a week locally when I can but I do try to avoid the busiest hours when schools out.

To the posters stating that the flowrider is the main draw to the cruise, do waterparks near you not have them?

The closest one two me in 2.5 hours away, and they only allow stand-up at certain times. I love it on the ship, as it is warm, outside not indoors, and I am on holidays. The next nearest ones are over 3.5 and 5 hours away and in another country.

It isn't the main draw but I love to ride while on the ship.

For my boys, the nearest ones are part of either a hotel or complex, and they only offer day passes with limited availability. Some don't allow stand up, so that takes one or two out of the mix.

I'm ever hopeful that in a few years, when (hopefully) I relocate, we'll be nearer some and the boys can do some day trips. I hope that they have a chance to meet some of the people from the flowrider group at some of these places.

Me, I don't even bother. I know my limitations. But the boys, like JC, generally won't cruise w/o a flowrider.

The manufacturer changed the design of the Flowrider around the time Navigator was retrofitted. They upgraded the grates at the top and bottom of the wave with something they call Pillow Pads. Instead of the hard grates that can rip your skin or even worse, get your fingers stuck as you fall (I've done this and it isn't pleasant), it's now rubber coated foam strips (think of smaller pool noodles coated with rubber. The top rail is now padded instead of a solid metal bar, which makes riding the rail not as much fun for people like me, but it solves what I always felt was the most dangerous part of the Flowrider. All the new installations since Navigator have this, but so far they haven't retrofitted it on any of the ships that already had Flowriders that went in for dry-dock, such as Liberty.

For newbies, although I hate the Safety Demo/Card, if people would just pay attention and heed what they say, most of the injuries can be prevented. On my last Oasis cruise the very first rider after the demo tried to walk up the side of the wave and fell. I looked at the staff member working the Flowrider and we both just shook our heads.

As for the closest Flowrider, it's 6 hours to Albuquerque then 8 hours to Utah.

The manufacturer changed the design of the Flowrider around the time Navigator was retrofitted. They upgraded the grates at the top and bottom of the wave with something they call Pillow Pads. Instead of the hard grates that can rip your skin or even worse, get your fingers stuck as you fall (I've done this and it isn't pleasant), it's now rubber coated foam strips (think of smaller pool noodles coated with rubber. The top rail is now padded instead of a solid metal bar, which makes riding the rail not as much fun for people like me, but it solves what I always felt was the most dangerous part of the Flowrider. All the new installations since Navigator have this, but so far they haven't retrofitted it on any of the ships that already had Flowriders that went in for dry-dock, such as Liberty.

For newbies, although I hate the Safety Demo/Card, if people would just pay attention and heed what they say, most of the injuries can be prevented. On my last Oasis cruise the very first rider after the demo tried to walk up the side of the wave and fell. I looked at the staff member working the Flowrider and we both just shook our heads.

As for the closest Flowrider, it's 6 hours to Albuquerque then 8 hours to Utah.

I wish they would install the pillow pads on all ships, and the top of the wave is still the most dangerous place to fall, but they keep making them better and better.

JC

On the Oasis Jan 21. If I want to just lay on the board, like body surfing, is that allowed?

How long is the line usually? How long do you get to ride? Thanks

Yes, the starboard side Flowrider is dedicated to boogie boarding. Real short first thing in the morning but it builds after that. Till you fall off.

Just be aware that there are people sitting there recording people on their phones. Creeps!

Or maybe they just are impressed by the sweet moves. I know I am. It's not something I seem to be able to do. I can slide down and move from side to side, but I cannot seem to do anything fancy. I've whipped a camera out a few times when someone really tears it up. I'd love to figure out how they do it.

I did get an amazing photo once of some guy faceplanting after trying a move and epically failing.