Oceania ..NEVER AGAIN...floating nursing home

drhugs

fwiw....i'm on Regatta circumnavigating Australia (with stops in Bali and Komodo) and there have been some shows at 5:30....well attended.

With temps well above 30C, folks come back on board, enjoy Happy Hour and the 5:30 show, have dinner, and shower. By that time, the day's adventures have taken their toll.

We were told that in Melbourne today at the Australia Open, center court temps were 66C.

By no means are we ready for a nursing home, but the heat has been brutal and after that shower....well 9:30 feels like midnight!!!

:loudcry::loudcry: I am posting this in hopes of dissuading those contemplating an Oceania Sirena Cruise.

Currently on the 35 day Oceania Sirena San Diego to Rio..sounds great, doesn't it??? Cruising the Amazon..great, huh???

Not so fast, dear readers....never again..

the most boring, worst entertainment..if any..

food above average, staff incredible and wonderful..

We are in a PH1...most expensive penthouse suite..have met with general manager..4x..i have profuse notes about the myriad of disappointments..if you are seeking anything close to the deceptive brochures, you may be in for a shock..more coming on this board when I can finally depart in Rio...dumped us in ghetto ports and more..so sorry I ever booked Oceania..they are riding on a reputation no longer deserved..5 star..in their dreams.:loudcry::loudcry: we booked back to back and jumping ship..cannot bear 21 more daysfrom Rio to Miami..flying home.

Let's see how 5 star Oceania handles my concerns when I call them next week. Many unhappy passengers here who will never return...:eek:will keep you posted with the details...

OMG!. :eek: We booked our first cruise with Oceania based on it’s reputation for fine service, entertainment, and cuisine. We normally cruise on Princess and Celebrity but wanted to try Oceania. We will be sailing Sirena in May 2018 for 8 day Cuba.

Are you saying the PAX demographic is really old, like in 70’s+? And the ship’s PAX, and entertainment boring?

Guess DW and I will find out soon enough.

Thanks for sharing your aweful experience.

If one is on a longer cruise, > 15 days, the demographics tend to be older. As an example, we were on a 21 day cruise last summer, and pursuant to a ship’s officer just over 50% of the cruisers were in their 80s, with half the others remaining over 70.

Shorter cruises, 12 days or less, will typically have a bit younger set. However, on most cruises, if one is less than 65, they are in the youngest 5-10% of cruisers on O.

The Oceania age demographics vary with the length of cruise and destinations. Longer cruises generally attract people who are retired and many naturally older. An 8 day Cuba trip should have a younger demographic. Oceania entertainment is "entertaining" but not overwhelming impressionable. The layout constraints of smaller ships are a factor.

On the OPs title which included "nursing homes" .... when my Mother required such she moved to a place where she received very good care. No complaints. "Nursing homes" perhaps should not be used as a general negative. IMHO

On our November Rome-Barcelona cruise on Marina -- yes, a 14 day cruise -- there were noticeably more younger passengers. Perhaps more than I remember having seen on cruises in the past few years. Yes, a significant percentage of us oldsters, but even 20 and 30 somethings ...

Mura

October 2018 will be my first Oceania cruise. I honestly can't wait. Not because of the ship, or the great Med ports we will be visiting, but because of the folks I've met on the roll call. Intelligent, with a great sense of humor, VERY widely traveled, and amazingly engaged in getting the most out of each port.

I get the sense I am corresponding with folks in their 50', 60's and 70's. I really don't care how old or young they are, I just know I already like them, and look forward to spending time with them.

OMG!. :eek: We booked our first cruise with Oceania based on it’s reputation for fine service, entertainment, and cuisine. We normally cruise on Princess and Celebrity but wanted to try Oceania. We will be sailing Sirena in May 2018 for 8 day Cuba.

Are you saying the PAX demographic is really old, like in 70’s+? And the ship’s PAX, and entertainment boring?

Where did you see that Oceania had a reputation for good entertainment? I'd discount that source. But two out of three in that list you'll get.

If one is on a longer cruise, > 15 days, the demographics tend to be older. As an example, we were on a 21 day cruise last summer, and pursuant to a ship’s officer just over 50% of the cruisers were in their 80s, with half the others remaining over 70.

Shorter cruises, 12 days or less, will typically have a bit younger set. However, on most cruises, if one is less than 65, they are in the youngest 5-10% of cruisers on O.

It's been my recent experience that there is a good solid group of 50-70 year olds on the cruises we've been on. I think it's human nature to overstate the amount of older people on Oceania. They see a few old folks, some on scooters, some with walkers and suddenly everybody on the boat is old. I know you have a particular bias against this. So you're obviously going to see more of it.

I ain't buying it, and I've been on a few(probably more than most here) Oceania cruises in the past 5 or 6 years. Besides that I've seen plenty of people in the 70 -85 range that are in much better shape than those in their 40's and 50's(while we're generalizing).

Where did you see that Oceania had a reputation for good entertainment? I'd discount that source. But two out of three in that list you'll get.

It's been my recent experience that there is a good solid group of 50-70 year olds on the cruises we've been on. I think it's human nature to overstate the amount of older people on Oceania. They see a few old folks, some on scooters, some with walkers and suddenly everybody on the boat is old. I know you have a particular bias against this. So you're obviously going to see more of it.

I ain't buying it, and I've been on a few(probably more than most here) Oceania cruises in the past 5 or 6 years. Besides that I've seen plenty of people in the 70 -85 range that are in much better shape than those in their 40's and 50's(while we're generalizing).

Elderly is fine with us, as long as we don’t get run over by mobility scooters. :)

So what do you think of the entertainment on Oceania?. Specifically on Sirena? What can we expect? We do enjoy lively entertainment, and like to listen to contemporary music. Classical music is ok, but not only just that genre on a cruise. Afraid it might put us to sleep. :(

On Sirena, what time is “last call” at the bars and lounges?

Is it a quiet ship after 9:30 p.m.?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

We tend not to do the shows but when we do there are some we've liked a lot, some we've walked out on, and some that were okay -- or at least we didn't walk out.

On small ships there just isn't the budget for entertainment that there is on the larger ships. And with 684 passengers you generally aren't going to see TONY-worthy shows. IMO.

I should add that our bias is towards classical music anyway ... which is why we don't make it a point to go to each and every show.

Mura

We tend not to do the shows but when we do there are some we've liked a lot, some we've walked out on, and some that were okay -- or at least we didn't walk out.

On small ships there just isn't the budget for entertainment that there is on the larger ships. And with 684 passengers you generally aren't going to see TONY-worthy shows. IMO.

I should add that our bias is towards classical music anyway ... which is why we don't make it a point to go to each and every show.

Mura

Thank you for your input.

On Sirena, will there be contemporary music like what is played and sung at a piano bar, night club, or cabaret?

And, since this is a cruise to Cuba, hopefully there will be Afro Cuban, Caribbesn, and Latin style music to listen, and dance to. In the ship’s lounges? Other venues?:)

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Does O still do needlepoint as a daily activity? Regardless of age or gender, it is a really good thing to do. Have seen star athletes do knitting, needlepoint etc...really a good stress reliever.

I remember when I was a little girl watching Rosie Grier (American football) doing needle point on (maybe) the Merv Griffin show. It was so funny to me to see such a big man doing something so dainty.

We disembarked in Cape Town last month after 30 days on Nautica (“sister” to Sirena,Regatta and Insignia) so will offer a few thoughts.

This was a long cruise and we agree with ORV that most passengers were in the 50-70 age range. Our CD told us that on the World Cruise the average age is actually younger as some are still working and conduct business from the ship, thanks to all the modern devices. While there were a few guests in light, travel wheel chairs, we were never in fear of being run over by mobility scooters.

Most past guests will agree that entertainment is not Oceania’s long suite but there were several nights on our cruise where shows in the Nautica Lounge were SRO. This particular entertainment staff was so talented and engaging that guests loved coming to see them perform in the evening.Several could/should be on Broadway. IMHO the entertainment has improved greatly though it is still Cabaret style. No big productions shows on Oceania!

Needlepoint is still a popular daily activity Wombat, along with serious competition for the BIG O points.

I remember when I was a little girl watching Rosie Grier (American football) doing needle point on (maybe) the Merv Griffin show. It was so funny to me to see such a big man doing something so dainty.

When I did some bus&truck singing tours years ago, just about everybody on the bus was knitting or crocheting ...

Mura

I am looking forward to getting a needlepoint kit. We will be on the Marina in November to the Canaries.

Yes I remember Rosie doing the stitchery as well. NOTHING nursing home about it.

Our cruise is very port intensive. I will be glad to be on a "quieter" ship upon return.

I am looking forward to getting a needlepoint kit. We will be on the Marina in November to the Canaries.

Yes I remember Rosie doing the stitchery as well. NOTHING nursing home about it.

Our cruise is very port intensive. I will be glad to be on a "quieter" ship upon return.

Any origami classes aboard ship? Napkin folding?

Enjoy your cruise.

Maybe the confusion with expectations does arise from O's marketing brochures. Here is an exact quote from a brochure:

"Production shows and critically acclaimed headline entertainers.

Orchestra, classical string quartet, dance and jazz bands."

Just points out that as with purchasing anything actual reviews are very valuable to understand the subjective nature of marketing descriptions.

We have traveled with Oceania on the Amazon River cruise, we knew we were in 3rd world locations, enjoyed every minute of the ports, have lived in Panama 30 yrs. ago and I sincerely think the negative comments and meetings with GM were not necessary. I hope this passengers remembers when he is 70+ that we does not want to be looked down upon. What an unkind person!! I am referring to the original poster boy's thread and I don't believe he will ever enjoy anything, do your research and open your mind, it might help!

we have traveled with oceania on the amazon river cruise, we knew we were in 3rd world locations, enjoyed every minute of the ports, have lived in panama 30 yrs. Ago and i sincerely think the negative comments and meetings with gm were not necessary. I hope this passengers remembers when he is 70+ that we does not want to be looked down upon. What an unkind person!! I am referring to the original poster boy's thread and i don't believe he will ever enjoy anything, do your research and open your mind, it might help!

+ 1

We have traveled with Oceania on the Amazon River cruise, we knew we were in 3rd world locations, enjoyed every minute of the ports, have lived in Panama 30 yrs. ago and I sincerely think the negative comments and meetings with GM were not necessary. I hope this passengers remembers when he is 70+ that we does not want to be looked down upon. What an unkind person!! I am referring to the original poster boy's thread and I don't believe he will ever enjoy anything, do your research and open your mind, it might help!

+2

Based on a remark made by a fellow cruiser who enjoyed the cruise I think the op is a woman. The only two complainers I met on Oceania were both women - not on the same cruise.

I thought she mean that most of the passengers are old

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I think the OP is a woman, and she meant that most of the passengers are elderly, Like 70+.

In your experience is that true? And that the ship is dead by 9:00 p.m. with PAXS retiring to their cabins.

BTW, what time is “last call”at the bar(s) and lounge(s)?

We’re on Sirena for an 8 day cruise to Cuba in May. Our first cruise with Oceania. We hope the cruise won’t really be like a nursing home. :(

Edited by Kingofcool1947