Kid-friendly Rome(Civitavecchia)/Naples/Florence(Livorno)? Tour operators please!

akb5k

Hi- I searched here and on the family boards but didn't come up with much. Anyone have experience with Rome4kids or suggestions for another kid-friendly tour agency?

I'm a single mom with a 6 year old, looking for tours from Civitavecchia, Naples, and Livorno. Group or private is fine. We would like to see the Colosseum in Rome, Pompeii and maybe some of the Amalfi coast in Naples, and maybe just a walking tour of Florence with a limited time at either Uffizi or Accademia, with a quick stop to see the leaning tower in Pisa on the way back if that's possible. Last time I was in Italy I did it on my own by train/bus, but that was back in college! With the distance from the ports I would feel better with a reliable tour agency this time.

Thanks!

Rome in Limo is very family friendly, and booking in multiple ports will get you a discount.

Just keep in mind that each Rome in Limo tour will be about 500 euro (plus/minus, not sure about discounts), not including any entrance fees, lunch, special site guides etc. This can seem steep for two people -- and it may not be easy to find tour sharers with your six-year-old. If you decide you are interested in some more independent options, those are also available but require a little research and some advance reservations.

The one that is difficult to DIY is an Amalfi coast drive, as you really need a private car to get into the villages.

One piece of advice.

A six year old will get bored pretty quickly.

I would not book tours everyday and for those you do I would limit them to a few hours.

Just some advice from a Grandfather who took his own children to Italy when they were young.

Keith

One piece of advice.

A six year old will get bored pretty quickly.

I would not book tours everyday and for those you do I would limit them to a few hours.

Just some advice from a Grandfather who took his own children to Italy when they were young.

Keith

Very true.

I took my son to Rome when he was six and even though I was conscientious about going back to the hotel for a "siesta" every afternoon for some down time, we still would hit a wall at times.

When we returned, his first-grade teacher asked him how he enjoyed the trip. His response? "Too much walking!"

OP might be better off going to Pisa by train (easy) and making reservations to climb the leaning tower, rather than trying to visit museums in Florence -- unless of course she knows her child has a higher level of interest than most 6-year-olds. I just took the same son (now 25!) to Florence over Thanksgiving. He had no interest in the Uffizi, enjoyed a brief visit to the Accademia to see the David, but most of all he enjoyed a half-day outing to Pisa...!

I’m pretty sure there is a minimum age to climb the Leaning Tower. I think it’s 8, so that may not work out for you.

If you do go to Florence, there is the very kid-friendly Leonardo Da Vinci museum. Your child will be able to touch most of the exhibits, and see them in motion.

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/Leonardo-museum.html

Edited by lisiamc

Sorry, lisiamc is right -- the climbing age is 8. I didn't realize that.

We also visited the Science Museum in Florence, which was interesting but maybe too complex for a 6-year-old. I found it macabre that they have several of Galileo's preserved fingers on display there. :eek:

There are a number of local bus companies that offer reasonably priced transfers. I used them two years ago & plan on using them again in April.

The only place we shared a private tour was Naples for Herculeneum, Sorrento & Positano although this year Ive found a bus which is slightly cheaper & its Pompeii this time.

Livorno - Pisa or Florence or Lucca or a combo

http://www.tuscanybus.com/en/

This is who ive booked for Naples

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com/excursion/pompeii-sorrento-positano-view

I cant remember the name of the company i was looking at for Rome, we are stayimg onboard & having 3 days in Rome later on the year. I do remeber though they had a good variety of trips, ranging from just a bus transfer to a panoramic tour, that was around 30 eur. If I remember ill come back & post the link.

There are a number of local bus companies that offer reasonably priced transfers. I used them two years ago & plan on using them again in April.

The only place we shared a private tour was Naples for Herculeneum, Sorrento & Positano although this year Ive found a bus which is slightly cheaper & its Pompeii this time.

Livorno - Pisa or Florence or Lucca or a combo

http://www.tuscanybus.com/en/

This is who ive booked for Naples

https://www.cruisingexcursions.com/excursion/pompeii-sorrento-positano-view

ink.

I don’t think there is such a thing as a kid friendly tour of a hot large Italian city. April/may and October are more child friendly than mid summer.

I would seriously consider one of these shuttles.

Lucca and Pisa might be nice because Lucca is less crowded than Florence.

A ferry across to Capri might be nice for a six year old - taking swimwear because there is a small beach. I find that it is dragging children around in the heat is what they cannot stand.

Another way of spending your day in Naples is to walk into the city - and eat pizza. The birthplace of pizza is important to many of us!!

Whatever you do, six year olds only have short concentration spans, but it may help to watch a film about the places you are to visit - or share some stories. Your son will be able to look out for what you are going to see.

Thanks for the comments. The Da Vinci museum and bus transfers are good suggestions! Appreciate the Rome in Limo suggestion but sounds spendy. I guess my kid is not a typical 6 year old- we travel frequently, she quite enjoys art museums and historical tours (including Mayan ruins in July), and we can't go in April or October because I don't believe in taking kids out of school for vacation. Just wanted tour company ideas from people- some are more kid-friendly than others. Judging by the number of websites for 'family tours' of Italy I'm not entirely alone!

Edited by akb5k
Friendliness:)

I guess my kid is not a typical 6 year old- we travel frequently, she quite enjoys art museums and historical tours (including Mayan ruins in July), and we can't go in April or October because I don't believe in taking kids out of school for vacation.

Then I think I would DIY in Naples and Rome. It is not that hard. Livorno I would get a Pisa or Florence "on Your Own" from the ship.

In Naples I would catch the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. You can walk from the port. It is a fair walk, but along the main road. You buy a couple of tickets, validate them and get on the train (ask someone when you get on to check you are on the right train - just say "Pompeii?").

I would still try and get books or DVDs to explain what happened so your lovely daughter has some sort of context. I would suggest taking an umbrella each to give you some sort of shade.

Then I think I would DIY in Naples and Rome. It is not that hard. Livorno I would get a Pisa or Florence "on Your Own" from the ship.

In Naples I would catch the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii. You can walk from the port. It is a fair walk, but along the main road. You buy a couple of tickets, validate them and get on the train (ask someone when you get on to check you are on the right train - just say "Pompeii?").

I would still try and get books or DVDs to explain what happened so your lovely daughter has some sort of context. I would suggest taking an umbrella each to give you some sort of shade.

Thanks for your help! Yes I think I can "DIY" Rome via train and the metro- I checked with some of the "family friendly" tour groups and the prices are very high. I'm sure they do a great job but I can't spend several hundred dollars a day for tours! We can do the Colosseum on our own (I studied Latin and Roman history for years) and then find some gelato to eat by Trevi fountain. Thinking more about Naples you're right- I hate to miss Pompeii or a drive up the Amalfi coast, but it may be best to make that a "fun day" for a break from serious stuff and just do a pizza making class and maybe find a spot for a swim. I think I will save the big splurge on a guided historical tour and art galleries for Florence and Pisa. We've been reading the Magic Treehouse series about Da Vinci, Michelangelo and Pompeii and watching 'The Voyager" on TV so I think my 6 year old will know what to expect!

We're traveling with our 5 year old and two other families with kids (ages 6 to 15). Like you, all our kids are very well traveled. We're going with the same tour operators others recommend on here. We happen to be a group of 11, so all our tours are private. But, we've traveled with our child on group tours in multiple countries without a problem. You know your child, and you'll know what preparation you need to do to make sure that the tour experience in positive for everyone. Maybe check your roll call and see if you can start "Family" group private excursions. I'd imagine you'll find people who want to join you and split those costs (like the Rome in Limo type trips).

Thanks for the comments. The Da Vinci museum and bus transfers are good suggestions! Appreciate the Rome in Limo suggestion but sounds spendy. I guess my kid is not a typical 6 year old- we travel frequently, she quite enjoys art museums and historical tours (including Mayan ruins in July), and we can't go in April or October because I don't believe in taking kids out of school for vacation. Just wanted tour company ideas from people- some are more kid-friendly than others. Judging by the number of websites for 'family tours' of Italy I'm not entirely alone!

As I originally said, you would have a better idea than us regarding your 6-year-old's interests. I know at 6 I was an interested traveler but my DS at 6 was not so much.

I would hate for you to skip Pompeii if your daughter has an interest. I think you could do it; the bus is an easier option than the train but the times are more limited. You might still have time to get back to Naples and have that pizza. ;)