Drink package worth it?

We went with the drink package after waffling back and forth. We are not Diamond. This is our first RC cruise.

The drink package was on sale for $48 a day for our 13-day cruise. It actually is 4 sea days, not 3 as I said in my prior post, so I think it will be worth it. We are not ones to wait for a happy hour to get free drinks in our suite lounge or join the masses for a Diamond member free-for-all.

I like good coffee, not buffet coffee. I will probably have 2 of those a day from the specialty coffee place, plus a mimosa with breakfast many days, wine with dinner, and maybe a nightcap. We will also drink a lot of water during the day and probably a soda here and there. Hubby drinks mixed drinks and scotch. That would put us well over $48 a day per person.

The beverage package isn't necessarily all about the alcohol. It is also soda, bottled water, juices, and good coffee. I love good coffee. :D With 4 sea days, I am sure we will be socializing a lot with others, so I expect we will surpass $48 a day no problem.

The $48 per day doesn't add tips, which brings it to $55.64 per day. I can't ever remember spending that kind of money for drinks for one day let alone seven days or so at that price, and don't intend to start now. We'll survive on the free Diamond drinks and buying a few in port.

The $778 for two is almost a free cruise for one. So the answer is NO, it's so not worth it to us.

I think it just depends on the price and length of sailing, plus how many sea days. on our next cruise we have 4 sea days, but at the currant pricing of $70 a day, for 10 nights it isn't worth it fir us at this point. We drink water 90% of the time and we are fine with tap water. Dh may have 4-5 drinks on a sea day but I cant remember the last time I had more than two. $1400 is a lot for drinks. We will reevaluate if there is a decent enough sale but otherwise we will skip it.

I think it just depends on the price and length of sailing, plus how many sea days. on our next cruise we have 4 sea days, but at the currant pricing of $70 a day, for 10 nights it isn't worth it fir us at this point. We drink water 90% of the time and we are fine with tap water. Dh may have 4-5 drinks on a sea day but I cant remember the last time I had more than two. $1400 is a lot for drinks. We will reevaluate if there is a decent enough sale but otherwise we will skip it.

Wow! $70 a day. That is crazy! Ours was on sale from $55 to $48. Thought that was doable. I doubt we would have paid the $55, though. We were waffling on this price. Our total--which includes the tip--ended up being $670 each for 13 nights--4 sea days. I've had higher bar/restaurant tabs than that after a full vacation.

Yes, number of sea days is definitely a factor, I think. We have cruise credit, so that will go towards it also since we won't pay to eat on a cruise. To me it's not worth it to pay for the specialty restaurants. Usually our only expenses on cruises are beverages.

So lots of factors to ponder for sure for anyone trying to decide. Everyone is different and just because it's not worth it to some, doesn't mean it's not worth it to everyone else. Plus it's vacation! Who wants to worry about a budget;p?;p;p Good grief. Enjoy! ;p;p; )

Wow! $70 a day. That is crazy!

I actually just checked my cruise planner again and the price is already down a bit. It was $69 a day and now it is down to $60+ gratuities a day, so an improvement but still more than we are willing to spend. We will keep an eye on it though, we still have several months until we sail so who knows what the price will end up being. The refreshment package is down from $35 a day to $31.50.

I do not like to scrimp on vacation but I am not willing to overpay for things that aren't a good value for us either. I am hoping for a decent Black Friday sale or something similar in a few months

If you drink a lot it’s worth it. My fiancé and I have never bought it on the two cruises we’ve taken. We just drank water, juice, coffee, hot chocolate, etc for free. We aren’t big drinkers. We drink about 4-5 alcoholic beverages each on a cruise so it doesn’t make financial sense to us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Always worth it if you order at least 5 drinks per day. Especially if you like to try new drinks.

On cruises I literally will try anything and everything with the pass!

Also the bonuses are nice too - fresh squeeZed orange juice every morning, coffee drinks, and sodas!

I just went to check the price of the drink package for our January cruise and it is at $60 per day. I was floored. Last October it was $55 (and some people got it on sale for $45). Are drink prices going up across the board on Royal?

I wish I understood the rhyme and reason as to how they price these things; different prices per ship, per sailing; sometimes Diamond discount, not always. I am starting to wonder if they figure out your consumption based on past cruises and then elevate your price, as in "Ha! They sure use it, so, we'll up the price; no BOGOHO for them!" LOL

Keep checking. For my August cruise it was down to $42 per day over Memorial Day, then went up to $45. Yesterday, it was back down to $42.

Funny thing is, website would not let me book it, so I called. It was SOLD OUT. :D

Rep was going nuts. So he noted in my file that I had called when it was $42, so I could get it at that price when they fix the glitch.

Keep checking. For my August cruise it was down to $42 per day over Memorial Day, then went up to $45. Yesterday, it was back down to $42.

Funny thing is, website would not let me book it, so I called. It was SOLD OUT. :D

Rep was going nuts. So he noted in my file that I had called when it was $42, so I could get it at that price when they fix the glitch.

Sold out? How can that be when they bombard you when you board trying to sell those packages? That's crazy!!!!!

Oh...wait. You said it was a glitch. That makes more sense (given their website LOL!)

And, yes, it's not worth it for some people; a no brainer if you don't imbibe.

We bought the refreshment package for our Symphony cruise. Can someone please expand on what "premium" coffee entails? Also we plan to dine at Jamie's and Wonderland. Are we able to get free soda there? Or are we subject to the ala cart pricing?

We bought the refreshment package for our Symphony cruise. Can someone please expand on what "premium" coffee entails? Also we plan to dine at Jamie's and Wonderland. Are we able to get free soda there? Or are we subject to the ala cart pricing?

Premium coffees are espresso based beverages like latte, cappucino, etc. You can use your drink package at all restaurants.

Thank you for response. :)

You're welcome.

I should add that your beverage package is good anywhere on the ship and the private destinations of Coco Cay and Labadee. The only exceptions are room service and orders to fill you stateroom fridge.

Well the summer days promo is over but my sailing is still showing the $18/day refreshment & $42/day deluxe. It’s just silly.

My upcoming cruises are showing: $60/$50/$60/$50 and the last one only shows the bevo pkg + 1 device for Voom at $68.

Crazy!

Just remember, Royal Caribbean is always looking to maximize profits. Always.

They also push the drink packages REALLY HARD.

So, it's worth taking a step back and asking yourself "For a company that seeks profits above all else, why would they push the drink packages so hard?" Clearly, they believe the packages will get them more money than without. And if it gives them more money ... that means consumers spending more.

Many consumers do spend more...may not be just on the package, but yes, I agree. It gets ppl out of the port earlier and back on the boat (in their shops, in their specialty restaurants, in their spas, etc) because the drinks are free.

Its similar to using credit cards for the points/rewards though. Just because the majority of people can't pay their balance off monthly doesnt mean others can't.