Drink package worth it?

Can you get bottled water from any bar with the package, or are there only special locations where you can get the water? What about on-board gift shops? Same question with specialty coffee and juice. Cheers.

Any bar. They will normally give you 2 bottles at a time.

No, the package does not work in the gift shops.

Fresh squeezed juice is, AFAIK, only in the dining venues. Specialty coffee at dining also, if there is a Starbucks on board, supposedly it does not work, but in Aug, I got an iced coffee and Starbucks on my drink package.

On our last cruise on Brilliance, this is how we determined that a drink package wasn't worth it:

We realized we were going on these really lengthy day excursions (Rome, Athens, practically every port) we were going to be GONE off the ship in every port! So, dollar for dollar, the package simply wasn't worth it, first off, we don't drink that much anyway, but the individual drinks we did pay for were worth it since we had a lot of OBC as it was.

Consider your itineraries while in port.

ANOTHER tip: If you do buy drinks not on a package, realize that while the ship is in port, you pay hefty taxes. In Cape Liberty, the taxes are insane. Granted, not enough to sweat over, but once the ship is declared underway from the pier, these taxes go away.

This is an excellent point. We are actually going to be on Jewel of the Seas in August for the western Mediterranean cruise and it’s a very port intensive trip with only one sea day. So we have decided that we will not be doing the beverage package for that one for sure.

This is an excellent point. We are actually going to be on Jewel of the Seas in August for the western Mediterranean cruise and it’s a very port intensive trip with only one sea day. So we have decided that we will not be doing the beverage package for that one for sure.

WOW! I did not know that! Thanks for sharing!

Can you get bottled water from any bar with the package, or are there only special locations where you can get the water? What about on-board gift shops? Same question with specialty coffee and juice. Cheers.

Yes. Every bar should have water bottles. Most will have sparkling and that is also inluded in Deluxe package.

Specialty coffee is only in specific locations. Depends on ship where exactly.

dp

I just posted about the experience I just had with RC's BOGO@50%. It's not what you think! When you place the packages in the cart, it's the price times two. At least, that's what happened to me. When I called, I was given the runaround about the price ALREADY being discounted. But it does not say so on the beverage packages page. The page says BOGO@50% off! Be careful...

I just posted about the experience I just had with RC's BOGO@50%. It's not what you think! When you place the packages in the cart, it's the price times two. At least, that's what happened to me. When I called, I was given the runaround about the price ALREADY being discounted. But it does not say so on the beverage packages page. The page says BOGO@50% off! Be careful...

For me, it's about my total cost; I don't pay attention to the sales gimmicks or banners. I put it in my cart, look at the total, and if I can live with it (using all the metrics from the previous posts), I buy.

Just like everything else, if I can live with the price, I buy. And in the rare case it goes down, I cancel and repurchase. Figuring out the "sales" of RCL is enough to make me drink. And that's why I get the package :D

You could go through, look at the total cost and see how many drinks you need to order to make it "worth it" but what can only be answered by you is what value do you put on not worrying about the bill at the end, trying something you might not normally try and not worrying about the cost, your kid knocks your drink over at the pool....so what, go get another one. etc

To me, that counts for something. I don't know the dollar figure and it can vary from day to day, ship to ship and sailing to sailing but I certainly think it should be factored in. The packages are a convenience, no question and conveniences cost.

The way my GF and I, think of it is it is price control. We know we will not have a huge bill at the end of a crazy night. We were in a GS on Harmony in June. We got drinks as we wanted them and had fun. We are not big drinkers at home. It is also nice to try new things you are not sure about and never feel like you have to ask for something else if you don't like it.

We also drink sodas and the fresh juice too. We more than get our monies worth with the package but not everyone feels this way.

Overall I feel the drink packages are worth it because if you have probably about average two drinks a day it will pay for itself and you can do that on a cruise ship trust me

I think 4 drinks a day is closer to break even.

One added benefit I noticed having purchased the DBP was I found it a lot easier to stay hydrated. Instead of having to go to the few places they have drinking water, I could get bottles of water pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One added benefit I noticed having purchased the DBP was I found it a lot easier to stay hydrated. Instead of having to go to the few places they have drinking water, I could get bottles of water pretty much anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How easy is it to get coffee/iced tea/lemonade on board? Do you get them at the bars or what? (Asking for one of my cabinmates. Me? I'm getting the DBP!) EDITED: I'm getting the DBP but both of my cabinmates are unable to drink alchol due to medications they're are on, but are getting the RPs.

Edited by SirRedman
Added something

How easy is it to get coffee/iced tea/lemonade on board? Do you get them at the bars or what? (Asking for one of my cabinmates. Me? I'm getting the DBP!) EDITED: I'm getting the DBP but both of my cabinmates are unable to drink alchol due to medications they're are on, but are getting the RPs.

Coffee, dced tea and lemonade are not available at bars, usually only at food venues. These may be available at some drink stations, but that varies ship to ship.

Coffee, dced tea and lemonade are not available at bars, usually only at food venues. These may be available at some drink stations, but that varies ship to ship.

So, for instance, if someone is a constant coffee drinker (we'll be on Liberty of the Seas) she will most likely have to go to a food venue each time for a refill?

So, for instance, if someone is a constant coffee drinker (we'll be on Liberty of the Seas) she will most likely have to go to a food venue each time for a refill?

On Liberty, coffee is available virtually 24 hours at Cafe Promenade.

Thanks, Bob - I'm sure she'll be happy with that!!

You're welcome.

Cafe Promenade also has ice water available 24 hours. Every once in a while I see a ship with iced tea and/or lemonade at Cafe Promenade, but that is the exception, it the rule.

You're welcome.

Cafe Promenade also has ice water available 24 hours. Every once in a while I see a ship with iced tea and/or lemonade at Cafe Promenade, but that is the exception, it the rule.

Really? Then it's only at meals? I was under the impression (from RC's advertising) that it was always available. Good thing they had to sign up for refreshment package instead of nothing....

Really? Then it's only at meals? I was under the impression (from RC's advertising) that it was always available. Good thing they had to sign up for refreshment package instead of nothing....

I've not seen many ships where iced tea and lemonade are available 24 hours. Last I can recall was Monarch, with a station up in Sorrento's.

You're welcome.

Different subject, but..... I see you're from Central IL as well! At all close to Rantoul?

If you're willing to do all your drinking in the CL then a package probably won't be worth it. You can't take drinks "to go". But, if you'll only be drinking a few drinks outside the lounge, it's cheaper to just buy those you do want, and not get the package. Personally, we like to be "out and about", and not confined to a special room for our drinks!
It is the suite lounge on oasis class. There is no problem getting your drinks to go on oasis or allure. Have done it many times.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Definitely worth buying drink package. Regular free coffee tastes like sludge. In addition to alcoholic beverages including wine you get bottled water and canned soda. In all venues and dining rooms. You might want to take bottled water off the ship with you or bring to your cabin. I highly recommend you order. If on sale order asap. Will cost more on board