Cruising from San Juan in June and concerned

My husband and I are celebrating our 45th anniversary in June and we booked a cruise on Freedom out of San Juan last year before all the storms hit. I know the conditions are still not good there and we are hesitant about this cruise. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for our pre cruise stay? Near the airport or other suggestions? How about getting around? Would we be wise to have Royal book a hotel for us?

We mainly need reassurance about this as a departure port and the airport. We have seriously discussed canceling.

Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions!

My husband and I are celebrating our 45th anniversary in June and we booked a cruise on Freedom out of San Juan last year before all the storms hit. I know the conditions are still not good there and we are hesitant about this cruise. Does anyone have any hotel suggestions for our pre cruise stay? Near the airport or other suggestions? How about getting around? Would we be wise to have Royal book a hotel for us?

We mainly need reassurance about this as a departure port and the airport. We have seriously discussed canceling.

There's no problem with airport functionality or taxi availability in San Juan. We flew out of San Juan last November and had no problems.

I'd consult the San Juan forum for hotel info: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

There are plenty hotels re-opened now and one would think that by June there will be even more. To avoid booking one that may not be ready and could cancel on you, book one that's open now. We're booked at Hyatt House before/after a March cruise. You can try RCCL, but their option for me was a resort at $550/person/night, more than our 7 day cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I know the conditions are still not good there

You know that how?

We were in SJU a few weeks ago. And going back in a few days. :)

Airport, ports, taxi's, restaurants in San Juan all good. Lots of hotels open. And you aren't going for 5 more months.......... Just make sure you have a room confirmed.

I would never book a hotel through RCCL.

For what it's worth, my recommendation is DO NOT cancel and RELAX :)

Edited by bouhunter

As many have said, things are fine in Puerto Rico, especially San Juan. We just spent a week here, and things are recovering pretty well.

Sure, there are areas that still don’t have power, but unless you are trying to visit family somewhere other than tourist areas, you’ll never see any issues.

We saw mostly open hotels in Old San Juan and the Condado area. Taxis all over the place.

The only tourist area that may still not be open in June will be the rain forest, but even that is showing signs of reopening.

BTW, the whole island is green, almost all the trees are quickly recovering.

You will be fine.

I am currently sitting in my apartment in San Juan (we live here). The hotels here in town are fine; if they're taking bookings now, it's no worry. Both Hyatts near the port and the Sheraton, the La Concha, the Stellaris Marriott, the Vanderbilt, all of these and more are fine and have been for several months. Taxis and Uber are everywhere and working wonderfully. Restaurants are open. The only big noticeable difference is the lack of streetlights in most intersections.

I am sailing from San Juan in April and have booked two rooms but only need one, I plan to check with both hotels before the cancellation window and make sure my first choice will honor my reservation (check the boards Host Clarea suggested for my reasoning in booking the second room). I expect by June things will be even more normal.

I hear that Condado area and Old San Juan area are doing ok. But I also hear that other areas outside that are still struggling. Not sure you can go to the rain forest etc in the interior. I do know that Marriot''s LA Concha in Condado is open. We've stayed there in the past and loved it.

There are plenty hotels re-opened now and one would think that by June there will be even more. To avoid booking one that may not be ready and could cancel on you, book one that's open now. We're booked at Hyatt House before/after a March cruise. You can try RCCL, but their option for me was a resort at $550/person/night, more than our 7 day cruise!

We spent a few days in San Juan at the end of our honeymoon (was *significantly* cheaper to fly home from SJU a few days after our week in St. Thomas, even with the $60 flight to SJU from STT). Stayed at the Hyatt House and it was fantastic. The staff were great, and there are tons of great restaurants nearby. If you've got the time, a couple of our faves... Probably the best breakfast we've ever had was at Bistro Cafe Isla Verde ( Facebook link). In fact, when our Oasis cruise in April stops there from 7am to 1pm, first thing we're doing is grabbing an Uber to Bistro Cafe for another visit! We had an equally awesome dinner at La Jaquita Baya (TripAdvisor link); I'd call it more of an experience even than just dinner. Parking can be tricky there, but they have valet for $5. Puerto Ricans don't rush dinner as it's more of an experience, so plan a couple hours for dinner at a place like that.

I totally get your concern. We sail out of San Juan in May and had booked a 1-night pre-cruise at Sheraton Old San Juan weeks before the storms. After seeing some posts in another forum about last min hotel cancellations I got nervous and booked a ‘back up” in the Isla Verde area. However today I received this direct from the Sheraton property...”The hotel is fully functional at a 100 % as well as the city all shops and restaurants are open for business.”

IMHO...I will probably hang on to the back up for a few more weeks, but it sounds like we are good to go with our original plan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know that how?

We were in SJU a few weeks ago. And going back in a few days. :)

Airport, ports, taxi's, restaurants in San Juan all good. Lots of hotels open. And you aren't going for 5 more months.......... Just make sure you have a room confirmed.

I would never book a hotel through RCCL.

For what it's worth, my recommendation is DO NOT cancel and RELAX :)

I agree 100%. Do not even consider cancelling. We were there for a New Year cruise and stayed in San Juan for 3 days pre-cruise. We too were very worried before going. There is nothing to worry about. It is recovering nicely. You will still see evidence of the damage, but this will not impact your stay in any manner.

We cannot wait to return to San Juan. We were there one day when NO ships were in port and had the town to ourselves. WONDERFUL (damn all those cruisers!!! - Oops, guess that is me;p) The people of San Juan were so gracious and many times they thanked us for returning to San Juan after the hurricane - this was restaurant staff, policemen, street cleaners, Uber drivers, and even people panhandling on the street. San Juan is wonderful and so are its people.

PS. do not book a hotel through the cruiseline, unless you like paying double

I hear that Condado area and Old San Juan area are doing ok. But I also hear that other areas outside that are still struggling. Not sure you can go to the rain forest etc in the interior. I do know that Marriot''s LA Concha in Condado is open. We've stayed there in the past and loved it.

You can. Get in a car and drive, and you can search for such areas. We just spent the better part of a week in Ponce after a wedding at La Concha.

It’s easy to see damage. It’s also easy to see recovery.

Was in San Juan in December and didnt know what to expect, (and i can only comment on old san juan) It was in what appeared to be in great shape, I did notice only some of the street lights were not working. It reassured us for our upcoming cruise out of San Juan in March. Hotels are expensive though. I would like to add that St. Thomas USVI was in WAY worse shape than San Juan, but again I did not see the rest of Puerto Rico which I hear is still to this day in rough shape. It's sad these places are not getting more assistance from the US :(

We cruised out of San Juan in October . We had no problems with the airport or the ship.

Back in October there were hotel problems since the hurricane was very recent.

There are more hotels open now and by June there would probably be many more open.

There is a thread on cruise critic somewhere about which hotels are now open. If I can find it I'll post it unless Bob has already done that.:)

Bill

I received this email on January 18th from the Condado Plaza Hilton, so there are still some hotels not fully functional.

As Puerto Rico continues its path to recovery, The Condado Plaza Hilton is also engaged in a dedicated restoration program and is not accepting arrivals or new reservations until July 1, 2018.

• 2 months later...