Evening Chic Nights

elapel01

I hope I'm not annoying anybody by barging in here, but from that do I assume that on our forthcoming 16 night cruise from Auckland to Fremantle there will be 3 chic nights? There are quite a lot of sea days (which we love), so perhaps even four chic nights? Also, I have read some reviews where people talk of costume nights, or masked nights, themed nights. Is that normal, and is it something we should expect on our cruise? And if so, where do people find the costumes at short notice?

I hope I'm not annoying anybody by barging in here, but from that do I assume that on our forthcoming 16 night cruise from Auckland to Fremantle there will be 3 chic nights? There are quite a lot of sea days (which we love), so perhaps even four chic nights? Also, I have read some reviews where people talk of costume nights, or masked nights, themed nights. Is that normal, and is it something we should expect on our cruise? And if so, where do people find the costumes at short notice?

According to Celebrity's web site there are only supposed to be 2 no matter the length of the cruise but many ships have been doing 3, wouldn't put it past them to do 4.

From the web site:

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

I've been on about 10 Celebrity cruises in the past 5/6 years and on these there were no costume, theme, or masked nights, only formal/chic nights.

Last month on Reflection there was a masked costume party one night. The show production cast were costumed/masked but few passengers were. I wouldn't worry about costumes. There's enough you have to pack for 16 nights without one! Enjoy your cruise, it sounds like fun.

We have done quite a few 12/15 night ones and even on our last b2b in Autumn two 12nt there were 3 chic nights.Theme nights still happen on certain cruises and of course Halloween sailings

Thanks heaps to those who responded to my query. I'll pack for three chic nights and not worry about costume nights. If something does come up, there's always the draped white bedsheet a la Vestal Virgin. Hm, I wonder if anybody would believe me.

Do they demand, as in not let you in MDR and Specialty, if you are dressed in jeans and a semi chic blouse and khaki and polo shirt for men?

No . You will be admitted to the MDR. You will be among the less dressy. The specialty restaurants are casual elegant each night.

Do they demand, as in not let you in MDR and Specialty, if you are dressed in jeans and a semi chic blouse and khaki and polo shirt for men?

Not only do they not demand, they do not enforce any of their recommended guidelines. On this month's Jan. 7 Silhouette sailing, we were in AQ and everyone I saw in BLU appeared to follow the dress guidelines for the evening. As for the majority of the rest of the ship, it was a wear whatever you want atmosphere.

While my next statements are off the original topic this new Celebrity atmosphere has greatly influenced the non-suite Celebrity product. In my opinion, after 22 Celebrity cruises, what used to make Celebrity "a cut above" has disappeared with each sailing. I first noticed the changes when they started offering the "complimentary drink packages" and has continued more and more with each sailing. Giving away free booze must have also impacted their bottom line, necessitating Sr. Management to find the lost revenue in other areas. This was our sixth cruise in AQ and, while the service is still outstanding, the quality of what used to be fantastic dinners in BLU is now mediocre at best.

Our first thought was to change to a suite for this summer's Eclipse cruise to experience Luminae, but after much discussion, we decided our Elite Plus status was no longer worth booking with them and it was time to try a Concierge class room on Oceania for the same price of an Eclipse suite.

Although we have always been loyal Celebrity cruisers up to this point, I am quite sure I will get blasted for sharing my opinion.

Not only do they not demand, they do not enforce any of their recommended guidelines. On this month's Jan. 7 Silhouette sailing, we were in AQ and everyone I saw in BLU appeared to follow the dress guidelines for the evening. As for the majority of the rest of the ship, it was a wear whatever you want atmosphere.

While my next statements are off the original topic this new Celebrity atmosphere has greatly influenced the non-suite Celebrity product. In my opinion, after 22 Celebrity cruises, what used to make Celebrity "a cut above" has disappeared with each sailing. I first noticed the changes when they started offering the "complimentary drink packages" and has continued more and more with each sailing. Giving away free booze must have also impacted their bottom line, necessitating Sr. Management to find the lost revenue in other areas. This was our sixth cruise in AQ and, while the service is still outstanding, the quality of what used to be fantastic dinners in BLU is now mediocre at best.

Our first thought was to change to a suite for this summer's Eclipse cruise to experience Luminae, but after much discussion, we decided our Elite Plus status was no longer worth booking with them and it was time to try a Concierge class room on Oceania for the same price of an Eclipse suite.

Although we have always been loyal Celebrity cruisers up to this point, I am quite sure I will get blasted for sharing my opinion.

You are certainly entitled to express your opinion without getting blasted. I hope you enjoy your next trip and find what you're seeking. I have noticed a decline across all the cruise lines we've tried over the years as cruising has increased in popularity. Although we've seen some of the things you've mentioned, Celebrity still offers a product we enjoy. Your vacation dollars are precious and each of us fortunate enough to have those dollars is entitled to spend them in a way that most pleases. Bon Voyage.