Crown Princess ABC islands Jan 12 to 20, 2018

Bimmer09

Absolutely loved the early morning promenade deck walk. I felt I was there, hearing the ocean. It brought back many fond walk memories as also my favorite thing to do. Just thought you would like to know that others enjoy and appreciate your unusual videos of sounds and unusual things. Enjoying this review. Vicki

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Dinner and a Show

Dinner and we are back to Da Vinci having made a reservation for 8 p.m. Table for two.

We both enjoy Rotelle pasta with Oxtail ragu

40000847252_f39f4a39d2_b.jpg

I have the surf and turf-a petite filet with prawns. Yummy.

40000872582_da84f2e9a2_b.jpg

Carol had a salad as an entree. I should mention (nudged by Carol's notes) that we had visited Trident Grill before the rains came and enjoyed their excellent knockwurst, sauerkraut and fries and followed that a couple of hours later with Afternoon Tea so we weren't super ravenous.

Which explains my Sambuca and double espresso (Coffee Card used) for dessert while Carol had the almond toffee ice cream.

28254218299_30446e41b0_b.jpg

Tonight's show was Sweet Soul Music- instantly recognizable hits from the 60's and 70's so think Sam and Dave, Otis Redding, Four Tops, Stevie Wonder ,Temptations. All singing all dancing and the usual high energy.

An expectant audience for the 10 p.m show

39323175044_7c92e4cccd_b.jpg

More...

The audience has got on its feet following an invitation from the stage to do just that

26160545108_89fd87f6ba_b.jpg

40000908792_8458f2cfb2_b.jpg

39134999705_fb7f699c76_b.jpg

and it's over. The big guy at the front has a big voice.

40033377321_b3b801284d_b.jpg

As we sit near the back we are soon out of the theater without being trampled and Corey is already in the hallway thanking people for coming. Carol tells him we are going to the Stargazing. He says "Oops that's me! See you up there"

STARGAZING

We take a crowded elevator up to deck 16 and exit by the Lotus Spa. This is my usual route to get to Tradewinds in the afternoon. Then we take the stairs up to deck 17 and stand around while the rest of the Stargazers arrive.

39323615904_80f4c88fcb_b.jpg

Corey is the MC and has a green laser pointer with maybe a 1,000 foot beam (my tape measure was in the cabin). He will tell us what we are seeing but is assisted (or hindered) by a recorded voice of some astrophysicist who will ramble on about the ancient Greeks and their myths. It's possible that a lot of Ouzo was consumed while pondering the stars way back then.

The deck lights are dimmed so we can see better

28254745849_6576133bb7_b.jpg

Occasional clouds pass over the ship but we do get to see many stars and recognizable groupings like the Big Dipper/ Plough aided by Corey's pointer. Did I photograph them? No, not with my small lenses and on a ship moving at 20 knots. Even a tripod wouldn't have helped.

28254748389_764f523990_b.jpg

25162488437_f244a2ff5f_b.jpg

We were enjoying the atmosphere up here, pondering the stars as those Greeks did only without the booze. It all ended suddenly as the gods decided it was time to rain on Corey's parade and now came the drizzle. I packed up the cameras and we got off deck 17 and down to shelter at Tradewinds and from there back into an elevator and back to our cabin.

This was something we enjoyed and if you are wondering if it is wheelchair accessible-yes it is as there is a small elevator on the port side of Tradewinds that only goes from 16 to 17. They use it to ferry towels and the Afternoon Tea up to the Sanctuary.

That's the end of Sunday night, January 14th our third night on the ship and I was excited for Monday as we would be in Curacao! One of my favorite islands.

Absolutely loved the early morning promenade deck walk. I felt I was there, hearing the ocean. It brought back many fond walk memories as also my favorite thing to do. Just thought you would like to know that others enjoy and appreciate your unusual videos of sounds and unusual things. Enjoying this review. Vicki

Vicki, thanks for the kind comments. Glad to have you along!

Norris

MONDAY, MONDAY

We have an excursion this morning at 8.45 a.m and I am up around 6 and heading up to Tradewinds for coffee. Before 6 I take the aft elevator to Horizon Court buffet on 15, get my cup of joe (odd expression) and walk along Lido deck and up the stairs to Tradewinds.

6 a.m and I can take this long corridor to the forward elevators.

The red border on the carpet tells me I am on the port side of the ship (blue on starboard side)

25171685997_1d0250a6a1_b.jpg

Curacao Ahoy!

26170175678_86e523c029_b.jpg

Pullmantur's Monarch is ahead of us

28264463899_2ee9dd7ac1_b.jpg

The first glimmers of sun

39333180044_634ab69f4b_b.jpg

39333182344_1d1fde2cfa_b.jpg

25171734447_59b0b7cb2a_b.jpg

Corey had two stargazing events on our cruise in December, one during a meteor shower, lots of oooohs, and ahhhhhs.

At the time he was only using a small LED flashlight, but he told us about the green laser he would be getting soon, but due to numerous safety concerns, they were having trouble shipping it.

The second night, we opted to forgo the headphones and just laid on the sun deck away from the crowd.

This was something we enjoyed and if you are wondering if it is wheelchair accessible-yes it is as there is a small elevator on the port side of Tradewinds that only goes from 16 to 17. They use it to ferry towels and the Afternoon Tea up to the Sanctuary.

Here's a photo I took of that elevator of the Ruby Princess:26523398486_c7a46c239f_c.jpg

Corey had two stargazing events on our cruise in December, one during a meteor shower, lots of oooohs, and ahhhhhs.

At the time he was only using a small LED flashlight, but he told us about the green laser he would be getting soon, but due to numerous safety concerns, they were having trouble shipping it.

The second night, we opted to forgo the headphones and just laid on the sun deck away from the crowd.

he

There were two Stargazing shows shows that Sunday night-one at 7 and ours at 11. No headphones just a PA system. It's an event we would do again- a nice shared experience with other people who are fascinated by the vastness of space. I was dazzled in the 1980's by seeing Carl Sagan's Cosmos TV show when I was living in London and stars were hard to see there. I recorded every episode.

Kudos to Princess on the Stargazing!

Norris

• Like 1

It was an excellent show, and weird that I noticed the yacht. Hope you enjoyed it!

Trip

I enjoyed it enough that, acter seeing your post, I found that the show would be playing again. I recorded it for a second time on my DVR so I could go back and look for the yacht, which I will do as soon as I find the time.

Nortis, those sunset pictures are beautiful!

Here's a photo I took of that elevator of the Ruby Princess:26523398486_c7a46c239f_c.jpg

Bimmer09, (Norris)

Thanks for another one of your great Cruise Reports with wonderful pictures, and thanks to Jasperdo for sharing his picture from his vast collection here. I have been following along quietly. This reply does not really pertain to the ship that Norris is on, but I thought I would share the following about the Handicapped Accessibility of Stargazing on Royal Class ships for people's information.

I wish that the Royal Princess had a similar Lift setup for the highest deck given that it is one of Princess's newer ships, but we were disappointed (Bummed is a less harsh word I guess!) to discover that this was not the case. On our recent cruise on the Royal Princess my Mom was really very interested in going to the Stargazing and several other events events that were held on the 19th Deck - Sky. We did try to make our way there for an event, and we did manage to find a Tiny (2 Person, that said holds 4 LOL!) Aft Handicap Lift (which most of the staff that we asked said did not exist!!!) from the 17th Deck - Sun to the the 18th Deck - Sports, but it did not continue up to the Lawn Court and Sun Deck up on 19. I am guessing that they did not do it because of financial reasons, but it was a bummer that disabled individuals who just can't do stairs are unable to attend some great events and programs up there on the 19th Deck.

Sorry to jump in on the thread, but I thought that it would be good for people to know this fact if they are considering Stargazing or other activities on the Royal Princess that are up on the top deck. I am not sure if this follows on the following Royal class ships or not.

Happy Cruising!!!!

Mark

Edited by cruisehappy001

39333190634_c1df640e86_b.jpg

We are slowly approaching Curacao's capital Willemstad and I have enough time to pop into the buffet for a plate of food. We are off the ship and meeting a tour guide at 8.45 a.m. Carol plans to eat at the IC as she'll be waking at 7, around the time we tie up.

The buffet seems shockingly small and tight compared to the Regal but the food is good

and having a waiter quickly bring me coffee and OJ (Simpson but I had no time to talk to him) saved me some precious minutes. I needed to eat fast to (a) get it while it was hot and (b) get back outside with the camera incase there would be a good sunrise.

39333194814_4c438ac7e4_b.jpg

Clean plate and back on deck.

SUNRISE

25171740307_f455f36105_b.jpg

40043609561_89d4db6e66_b.jpg

40011075132_be49af4b55_b.jpg

More...

• Like 1

40043617581_3e114189e5_b.jpg

26170254648_1abdc4fb2c_b.jpg

My immediate plan was to go down to deck 7, Promenade deck and then walk up the forward stairs to deck 8 to the bow to watch us come to the dock and see the mooring operation.

The sun was rising but the color was dissipating as the sun got higher so now I could get closer to the water and focus on the land that was revealing itself.

Norris

40011118912_a33b2e659a_b.jpg

(3 pics stitched together in Lightroom)

39144994325_801c3fe4ff_b.jpg

Monarch (formerly Monarch of the Seas) is already moored downtown

40043643121_785ffbb0df_b.jpg

40011132612_7c95a5bd75_b.jpg

The chimney stacks pinpoint the giant oil refinery

26170304938_4671e7219f_b.jpg

28264515109_2de49257f0_b.jpg

While we are waiting for the mooring video to upload to Youtube I'll tell you about our excursion today.

It was chosen by Carol, from the offerings in our Cruise Personalizer when we were back in Chicago a few weeks before sailing. She wanted to go to an Ostrich farm. I immediately was enthused imagining those noble big cats with their orange and white stripes crouching in the jungle, their claws flexing for the kill and their mighty fangs flashing as they eye their prey.

"No, you're thinking of Tigers" said Carol and showed me a picture of an Ostrich. Really?

I tried to talk her out of it but her mind was set.

Our tour would take 3 hours but it wasn't all Ostrich time. We would also visit the studio of a famous sculptor out in the countryside. I liked the idea of being out in the countryside.

Once back at the ship we would stroll into town and have lunch at a place we booked on line which would be right by the berth place of the Monarch and afford us a view of the magnificent colored buildings that feature in every Curacao postcard. Then a visit to the oldest Synagogue in the Western hemisphere followed by my favorite pastime = sitting by the water with a beer and a cigarette watching the world go by. My evening plan was to pop ashore with the tripod and take some pics of the ship lit up in the dark.

I was looking forward to this day as I like the look of Curacao and of Willemstad in particular and we wouldn't be sailing until late which I believe was 9.30 p.m. Hooray for late sailings!

This would be my third cruise visit to Willemstad and Carol's second as we were here on the Crown back in January 2012.

Norris

MOORING VIDEO

First thing you'll notice is that I got the docking time wrong-it was 8 a.m and not 7 as I had said earlier. I had been wondering why we didn't eat breakfast at Da Vinci after docking but now I know. We had to be on the pier at 8.45, ready to excurge.

37GW6mkfGik

Norris

Carol here. I am seeing Norris’s photos and videos for the first time and I am blown away. Especially the sunrises, sunsets (see I can do music cues too). I wanted to clarify a few things. First, the adult pool just below the Sanctuary is open to anybody not just Sanctuary customers. And no wave machine in this one and pretty lame hot tubs as in not very hot. I know the Sanctuary is a splurge but just having a quiet comfy spot where you don’t have to fight for a deck chair and 99% of the people are reading or listening to music through headphones (1% annoying chatterboxes) is so wonderful. In fact all the time I spend outdoors on the ship is either in the Sanctuary or on our balcony, with the promenade deck for sunsets. You’re just not conscious there are 3,000 people on the ship. Second, the reason I had a word with the CD after the “opera” show was to suggest either a handout or an announcement putting the music in context. It went from a seductive Spanish song (in French) from Carmen to a drinking song in Italian from La Traviata to a fiendishly difficult coloratura aria in German from The Magic Flute. Three different languages and three different composers. No identification or plot summary. This is one of the things that puts people off about trying opera—makes them feel excluded. I’d be happy to write something for him if he gets in touch. Third I’m dressed extra casually because I was trying to keep up my pitiful treadmill routine (half an hour at a very slow pace) on the sea days. The gym was always packed and I even had one strapping youth shove the old lady out of his way to get an open machine ahead of me! I don’t think Norris used the gym so there is some insight from me—be prepared to be aggressive!

• Like 2

As we are going to be off the ship for quite a few hours today and as you are not I will leave you with the Patter while we are gone. That's coming up later.

We met on shore, Carol coming from her breakfast in the International Cafe where she enjoyed a yogurt granola parfait, walnut banana bread and a fruit plate and me from the cabin having had my camcorder charging there via the USB on my computer. Including my phone I had 5 cameras with me. Only the GoPro stayed home.

Stepping onto the dock gave me my first look at the Crown who had just brought us 1300 miles.

I have gotten in line for our tour. Overcast but warm on the dock.

26189112308_a2c4a217f5_b.jpg

26189165588_f81e5f7c52_b.jpg

Maybe YOU are in one of these shots?

28282897999_c35c3b8854_b.jpg

I visit Carol at her nearby bench leaving my camera bag holding my place

40029668502_a70b66601a_b.jpg

She is one long ship

40062293211_1620c2fd81_b.jpg

Up ahead stand the ship's photographers

26189150278_b0a52e51dc_b.jpg

We always stop with the ship's photographers as long as they have made the effort to dress up as pirates, lumberjacks or even ostriches. If they are not dressed in costume we walk on past.

It was warm and breezy on the dock hence my bad hair morning.

39180354015_8682019556_b.jpg

28298849149_2f145eb8b1_b.jpg

39368314694_67a4d112f9_b.jpg

I was sorry to see one of the pirates had lost his right hand. I told him about the Medical Center on deck 4. I saw him on the ship a couple of days later and the hook was gone and replaced with a working appendage. I told him he could charge the surgery to my cruise card and now I am fighting with Princess over the bill as it seems a tad high. Lesson learned.

• Like 1

OUT OF WILLEMSTAD

As you saw from the dock photos we were the last in line of a small tour group and this we like when it comes to getting bus seats as the back ones are usually the last to be taken. That means we can hopefully get two seats each and I won't have to sit so close to the window and use a pocket Canon to take pics out the window. I can use my main camera and use a high shutter speed to take pics that don't show the blur of trees etc.

So I get to use the Canon 6D Mk II. Hoorah!

I also say Yippee! as we will be crossing the mighty, lofty, Queen Juliana Bridge high above the city. We have never been over it before but today we are so over it!

Our guide was Nell (Dutch) and the driver was Kenneth

40047300212_6df63190a9_b.jpg

25207998217_17091a2425_b.jpg

28299736119_c193d0302c_b.jpg

25208008737_7c8914b290_b.jpg

Monarch looks pretty slick for a ship built in 1991

28299743499_1bb163a15f_b.jpg

26206282128_333416688b_b.jpg