Yet another “live from” report...Escape - 1/20 - 1/27/18

marktwothousand

Yet another live trip report... from the Escape. it’s coming... but for now, my internet is spotty, so I’m going to have to take a page from Trump’s book and “keep you all in suspense for a little longer” :)

in the meantime, if you have questions, get ‘em ready.

Day 0 (pre-cruise) and day 1

Travelling with a family member, I Arrived in FLL a day early with lost luggage and barely made the flight due to airport issues. The airline luckily got my luggage to me... at the last minute before leaving to the port. Made it to the port for 2:50 (4 PM embarkation time) after being taken the wrong way by the Lyft driver. We were not turned away at the port and NCL did not shame us for being late but we were worried. I don’t recommend making this a habit, but be assured NCL will do their best to accommodate you if you’re past the 2 hour cutoff. Just as we got onboard, they were starting the muster, talk about cutting it close...

I checked into my solo studio and my family member checked into her balcony (upgraded from interior). Everything was looking good. We did the 5 PM solo travelers meet and greet which was listed at Tobacco Road, but moved to the studio without telling us, so we almost missed it. From there, we corralled a few people together and did Manhattan Room for dinner. I’ve always been a buffet guy, so this was a nice change and I have a new appreciation for MDR dining now. The guys at our table decided to order every dessert off the menu for kicks, so it was quite a laugh seeing 5 plates of dessert brought at once.

We closed out the night with the dance party upstairs, shenanigans, lots of Fireball shots and then late night eats at o’sheehans. Having only been on one other cruise (NCL Epic - Rome/Barcelona) I was really liking the Excape...woot woot!

Day 2 at sea

CRUISE CRITIC MEETUP DAY!!! We did the CC meet up courtesy of SweetLauria and AirbusDriver at The Brew pub. Thanx a LOT for organizing. NCL went over the top for us...free beer, live entertainment, hot food, speeches. The turn out was AMAZING and we headed to a CC slot pull after. Pooled about $500 and 30 people or so. I spun $150 and won a bottle of champagne for it! Woot woot again. We didn’t win the jackpot but we all got our money back and had great fun doing it. I LOVED the slot pull.

The busy-ness continues... from there, it was off to get ready for the solo meet and then a teppanaki birthday dinner. By this time, my iConcierge contact list was already burgeoning as we made new cruise friends thru the CC meetup and solo meet. We were able to squeeze one more person onto our rez and move our time slot earlier! Nice going NCL. I gave the manager a bit of cash for helping me out and bringing us a cake with a happy birthday. I am also tipping the chambermaid in cash and bartenders $1/drink, and I have opted out of the auto-grat. I find my service levels to be amazing, staff appreciate CASH.

I also have a free photo pack and decided to get pics taken on the staircase while we were waiting for dinner. They turned out beautifully! Again, GOOD ON YOU NCL!!!

Then, it was off to “After Midnight” for 10 PM. An excellent show, musically and technically, despite a rather listless story. The show is essentially about the history of the African American jazz era in Harlem and features amazing dancing and complex scat— a musical art that is very rare these days.

Then the party begins again at spice H2O...ran into all the party boys from the night before and had a blast doing a twerking competition amongst ourselves. (Yes...we were having shots). Anyway, after way too many pitbull videos and the dance floor dissociating into a conga-line, i think NCL decided enough was enough and shut ‘er down around 1 (I think?) and moved us to Skyline. I loved packing the elevator full of party people and I led a countdown of the floors (16, 15, 14..) except when we got to our floor, we kept yelling out our countdown to zero and then threw in a “HAPPY NEW YEAR” just for kicks, everyone got a laugh out of it. What a night. Then it was FOOD TIME again at osheehans and while the boys were waiting for it, I decided to go for a walk and who do I run into? SweetLauria and AirbusDriver at the craps table. WOOT WOOT again!!! After placing some bets, I came back to the restaurant $25 richer. (A meagre amount, given that everyone around me had piles of $100 chips, LOL) gobbled down my food and the boys wanted to call it a night, so I said my goodbyes and went back to the craps table. I was the last one at the table and I Rolled a yo’leven as it hit 3 AM to close things out.

BUT! I wasn’t quite ready to end my night just yet, and Nor were some other passengers. Someone approached me and asked if I knew where they were still serving... and I said, good question, let’s go find out and keep drinking! To our surprise, there is NO alcohol service after 3. So me and my new friend tried to think of something to do and I remembered...oh yes...I won a bottle of champagne!!! So I said, let’s go get it and continue the party... so we brought the bottle to the smoking room along with some music (Bluetooth speaker) and chilled. after that got tired, we decided to check out the top deck and see if we could find something to do (it was almost 4 by the time). we decided to crash the ball court and shoot hoops under the stars with some music until the powerwashers kicked us out. what an awesome Night.

Day 3, Jamaica

As you could probably guess... I am Feeling it today. Woke up with the lights on and found a glass of champagne that I hadn’t finished...went topdeck and got some sun and started filing this report. Finally beautiful weather... I doubt I will be getting off to port today, not in the shape I am in anyway. I have tons of things planned for tonight, so...gonna have to takitease till then and update ya all later, skaters.

Does anyone have any questions or info they’re looking for? Yesterday was a pretty low key day so I won’t have a whole lot of updates to post, but if there’s something you want to know, let me know...what I can say to some common questions:

- the ship is packed but I haven’t had any issues with waiting in lines for drinks and things

- iMessage DOES seem to work for Free, but it might be only if you have an Internet package. Because it works for me when my internet timer is off (ie. “logged out” on the ship) but it doesn’t work for my family (who don’t have on-board internet at all).

Day 4...kinda

Thanks for reading and the questions. I WILL get to them

And and I AM saving my dailies for posting. But what I can tell you all, is that the dailies aren’t anything special...they’re pretty consistent with what you might have seen already.

So, yesterday I was feeling it and unfortunately I have been suffering from a minor cold. So this morning I woke up and it was really bad. I called the medical centre and my insurance company and started a claim just in case I needed anti biotics. No worries so far...I didn’t go to the clinic. But for those who wanna know here’s how it works:

They’re open 1.5 hours in the morning and 1.5 hours at the end of the day and the cost is $149. If you wanna see them outside of those hours is $199. I’m covered by insurance but like I said...so far so good for today.

Last night (day 3) i just went to Manhattan with my family member and ordered 2 entrees and called it a night.

Today at port.. grand cayman, I didn’t get off. With the tendering and the fact that I was feeling like sh#%zz, I wasn’t going to shore. But I ran into my buddy I played hoops with two nights ago and now we are just waiting for the last Of the tenders to come in off grand cayman. I’m drinking again and all is good...

Wish I had more exciting updates for y’all but that’s it..

The best news is that my cold is mostly gone and I’m continuing the party. I’ll let you know how it goes...

Toots.

And I’ll get to the questions soon

Yet another live trip report... from the Escape. it’s coming... but for now, my internet is spotty, so I’m going to have to take a page from Trump’s book and “keep you all in suspense for a little longer” :)

in the meantime, if you have questions, get ‘em ready.

I called NCL today asking if we can buy liquor in the duty-free shop and bring it back to our room. Can you confirm that it's so? We have the drink package but sometimes want to enjoy a cocktail in our room on the balcony. Thanks!

I called NCL today asking if we can buy liquor in the duty-free shop and bring it back to our room. Can you confirm that it's so? We have the drink package but sometimes want to enjoy a cocktail in our room on the balcony. Thanks!

Any liquor purchased on board or in a port is held until the final night of the cruise.

John

ALERT! ALERT! Port diverZion! Port diversion!!! We got informed tonight that our bahama port is cancelled and we are doing two Mexico instead.. costa maya and now Cozumel!

I have no other information... no idea why, or what days we are doing where, but this is our news. Nassau CANCELLED!!!

Then the party begins again at spice H2O...ran into all the party boys from the night before and had a blast doing a twerking competition amongst ourselves. (Yes...we were having shots). Anyway, after way too many pitbull videos and the dance floor dissociating into a conga-line, i think NCL decided enough was enough and shut ‘er down around 1 (I think?) and moved us to Skyline. I loved packing the elevator full of party people and I led a countdown of the floors (16, 15, 14..) except when we got to our floor, we kept yelling out our countdown to zero and then threw in a “HAPPY NEW YEAR” just for kicks, everyone got a laugh out of it. What a night. Then it was FOOD TIME again at osheehans and while the boys were waiting for it, I decided to go for a walk and who do I run into? SweetLauria and AirbusDriver at the craps table. WOOT WOOT again!!! After placing some bets, I came back to the restaurant $25 richer. (A meagre amount, given that everyone around me had piles of $100 chips, LOL) gobbled down my food and the boys wanted to call it a night, so I said my goodbyes and went back to the craps table. I was the last one at the table and I Rolled a yo’leven as it hit 3 AM to close things out.

BUT! I wasn’t quite ready to end my night just yet, and Nor were some other passengers. Someone approached me and asked if I knew where they were still serving... and I said, good question, let’s go find out and keep drinking! To our surprise, there is NO alcohol service after 3. So me and my new friend tried to think of something to do and I remembered...oh yes...I won a bottle of champagne!!! So I said, let’s go get it and continue the party... so we brought the bottle to the smoking room along with some music (Bluetooth speaker) and chilled. after that got tired, we decided to check out the top deck and see if we could find something to do (it was almost 4 by the time). we decided to crash the ball court and shoot hoops under the stars with some music until the powerwashers kicked us out. what an awesome Night.

Day 3, Jamaica

As you could probably guess... I am Feeling it today. Woke up with the lights on and found a glass of champagne that I hadn’t finished...went topdeck and got some sun and started filing this report. Finally beautiful weather... I doubt I will be getting off to port today, not in the shape I am in anyway. I have tons of things planned for tonight, so...gonna have to takitease till then and update ya all later, skaters.

Ah yes, to be young again......I remember those days......well most of them at least:evilsmile:

ALERT! ALERT! Port diverZion! Port diversion!!! We got informed tonight that our bahama port is cancelled and we are doing two Mexico instead.. costa maya and now Cozumel!

I have no other information... no idea why, or what days we are doing where, but this is our news. Nassau CANCELLED!!!

Hola, a quick look at Nassau's weather forecast ahead for the next 7 days - ha, that might possibly explain it ... not good at all, t-storm, showers, clouds, windy, etc. Mix them in anyway you really don't want or like - that's what you would be sailing into.

Enjoy Mexico ...

Glad to see another "tape delayed" Live from the Escape, helps keep me excited for my own trip in 52 days! Out of curiosity, which deck of the Studios are you on (10, 11, 12) and generally what part of the corridor? I'm in 12531 for my trip and after a less than ideal noise situation when I was on Breakaway in 2014, I'm curious what your experience with early morning housekeeping prep noise has been.