London Gatwick, my apologizes up front

Jack E Dawson

My apologizes upfront for using this board for a non-Cunard question but I just couldn't think of a more informed group to have the answer.

My wife and I are taking an E-W TA this summer but we are first going to spend some time on the island of Madeira. We fly in from Chicago to LGW, landing at 5:00AM on Norwegian Airlines (South Terminal) and connect to easyJet (North Terminal) for a 7:40AM flight. We have only carryon bags. Here are the questions. What will be the process for clearing customs, getting to the other terminal and clearing security. Is 2 1/2 hours enough time? Are there any additional steps?

We will return back to London a few days before sailing so I'm not worried about reentry to the UK.

Any first hand experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Harold

My apologizes upfront for using this board for a non-Cunard question but I just couldn't think of a more informed group to have the answer.

My wife and I are taking an E-W TA this summer but we are first going to spend some time on the island of Madeira. We fly in from Chicago to LGW, landing at 5:00AM on Norwegian Airlines (South Terminal) and connect to easyJet (North Terminal) for a 7:40AM flight. We have only carryon bags. Here are the questions. What will be the process for clearing customs, getting to the other terminal and clearing security. Is 2 1/2 hours enough time? Are there any additional steps?

We will return back to London a few days before sailing so I'm not worried about reentry to the UK.

Thanks

Harold

There is good information regarding flight connections on the Gatwick website https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/flight-connections/ and there is also a Gatwick app available from the appstore and google play which you may find useful while you are at the airport.

Unless there are delays 2,5 hours should be fine. If your Norwegian flight is late and you can't make it, you have to buy a complete new ticket to Madeira. Check with Easyjet if they have online check in so you have you boarding card on your phone. Norwegian arrives in the South Terminal and Easyjet departs from the North Terminal. Which means you need to take the monorail. It says on the website you don't need to clear immigration etc however better check that beforehand

Thanks

Harold

In addition to referring to the London Gatwick Airport website which will have very good detailed information, I should make sure carry on bag dimensions and weights are consistent for Norwegian and EasyJet as the latter is a budget airline. There is a Monorail shuttle that takes you from North to South Terminals free of charge.

Not having hold baggage makes it easier to change flights and airlines.

Regards John

You can check in on line and also print out your boarding pass (or down load it to phone) between 30 days and upto 2 hrs before flight. This will save a lot of time.

The monorail connection between the terminals is very quick - only a matter of a few minutes.

Assuming your flight is on time you should be ok. As post above, check baggage regulations for sizes/weights etc.

BTW - Madeira is gorgeous! (Ensure you go upto Monte via the Cable Car.)

Wow, this is great information. Thank you all so much. I've checked out the LGW web site and it is very detailed. Also will be sure to check in before departing ORD.

Again, thank you all.

Consider this, in case there is an inbound flight delay, or any staffing problems etc, which may cause a concern.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/premium-passport-control/

Also just to add, and again not in the Cunard field of topics, in case you didn't book it, check the prices for the premium cabin on Norwegian, well worth the extra $$$.

It's become our airline of choice if only because you can get into the premium cabin for the same amount as an economy seat on VS or BA.

Also just to add, and again not in the Cunard field of topics, in case you didn't book it, check the prices for the premium cabin on Norwegian, well worth the extra $$$.

It's become our airline of choice if only because you can get into the premium cabin for the same amount as an economy seat on VS or BA.

Yep I completely agree. I booked that in 2016 to fly back from New York to Oslo and it's really comfortable, with good food and great service. You also have lounge access in New York etc.

... Norwegian arrives in the South Terminal and Easyjet departs from the North Terminal. Which means you need to take the monorail. It says on the website you don't need to clear immigration etc however better check that beforehand

The free shuttle train (it's not really a monorail although it looks like one - it runs on rubber tires like the Paris and Montreal Metro) is outside the security area of both terminals. If there is a way to get from one terminal to the other without clearing immigration and going through security again, it isn't apparent from the Gatwick site.

https://www.gatwickairport.com/at-the-airport/flying-in/changing-terminals/