Flying into Vancouver on morning of cruise--cutting it too close?

lovethecaribbean31

You might want to read this: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=267156

In addition I would suggest it is a risk / reward situation, because you can be certain that then ship will not wait!

I would hightly recommend real good travel insurance.

Bon Voyage, and good luck:)

BTW, we spent an extra day and a half in Vancouver b4 our cruise this past summer, and really enjoyed the city.

My opinion only, I never fly in the day of the cruise, always at least a day early.

A factor to consider is - is this a "regular" airline with interline options?? Is this the first flight out- highly recommended? You need to allow at least an hour for customs and baggage claim, then another 30+++ mins. for a cab to the port. If all goes well- then yes likely to make the cruise.

My opinion only, I never fly in the day of the cruise, always at least a day early.

A factor to consider is - is this a "regular" airline with interline options?? Is this the first flight out- highly recommended? You need to allow at least an hour for customs and baggage claim, then another 30+++ mins. for a cab to the port. If all goes well- then yes likely to make the cruise.

I am with the others - I always fly in the day before the cruise just to be on the safe side - in case of flight delays.

However to answer your question - it is about a 30 min cab ride from the airport to the dock - cost approx $30.

Several of hte cruise lines actually have a luggage checkin right at the airport so you do not even have to worry about your luggage.

Hope this helps

Enjoy your cruise.

We have done it twice before but flying from the midwest we left early (6:30 AM) and then with gaining hours we arrived in Seattle (and once in Vancouver) at 9:30 AM so actually arrived at the pier too early and had to wait to board.

I will admit though this time we are flying to Seattle 2 days early to enjoy some time there first and then taking Amtrak to Vancouver for our cruise.

I am like most of the others in that I always fly in the day before. What if your airplane has mechanical problems, also weather related stuff. Going through airports with their security, customs, etc can sometimes use up valuable time. I would consider coming in the day before.

Marilyn

I also always fly in the day before.

I have had too many issues recently with flights - unplanned landings due to medical issues on 2 of my flights this year which caused me a 4 hour delay getting into my port, half the flights from Chicago cancelled to LaGuardia due to rain, security compromised at a terminal which caused me a 4 hour delay in my flight taking off and missing my next flight, luggage issues with luggage not making the plane.......

I don't think I would even consider flying in the day of the cruise anymore....

I would not fly in the day of the cruise, particularly coast to coast. While most of the time your flight wil be on time, to me it's Murphy's Law. The time that you need it to be on time, is the time it will be delayed. Why go through the stress of worrying.

I would fly into Vancouver at least one day in advance if not two days. There is much to do in Vancouver. It is a wonderful city with much to do.

Keith

This past September a couple on our cruise had RCI make their travel arrangements also. They were flown in the day of the cruise with 1 stop. Sure enough their connecting flight had mechanical problems and they missed the ship by 2 hours! So even if you book your air with the cruise line they WON'T wait for you. They were flown to Juneau, our first port in 2 days and put up in a hotel. Not a good way to start a cruise.

Teresa

We are coming in a day before the cruise for all the reasons mentioned. If cost for the hotel is an issue try Priceline.com and bid for a hotel room starting at $50.00 for a 4 star hotel. You can read all about it in the thread "Vancouver Hotels". I just did it and it works.

sasha'smom

Archived