Alaska earthquake and tsunami alert

Texansonboard

The best place for a boat or ship to be during a tsunami is at sea, as far away from shallow waters as possible. At sea it would most likely go unnoticed due to the fact that the wave height would only be a few feet and would be moving very fast, it's not until the large amount of water is pressed up against the shore that it becomes an issue.

I hope that the earthquake didn't cause any damage.

Keith

No damage in Kodiak (near the epicenter) or here in Anchorage. Kodiak and some of the other coastal areas were ordered to higher ground but got the all clear later in the morning. All is back to normal, other than most of us are a bit tired from being woken up in the middle of the night.

No damage in Kodiak (near the epicenter) or here in Anchorage. Kodiak and some of the other coastal areas were ordered to higher ground but got the all clear later in the morning. All is back to normal, other than most of us are a bit tired from being woken up in the middle of the night.

I am so glad to hear that.

Hopefully the aftershocks won't be too bad.

Stay safe.

Keith

I remember from the Sumatra earthquake years ago, that the boats at sea didn't feel the tsunami. So, what would have happened had there been a ship in port, or cruising so close to land. Would the ship even announce this event. Would an earthquake of this magnitude even be felt on the ship?

Yes, i know that, but there was the initial alerts that went out.

We were on a cruise headed to Roatan 2 weeks ago when a 7.6 magnitude earthquake occurred in the area. There were no warnings on the ship and we felt nothing. The captain did make an announcement to mention it the next morning as we were docking in Roatan.

Being at sea is the best place if there is a tsunami. It would only be a few inches to a foot or so in the open ocean, so you probably would never notice it. The destruction occurs as it gets to shallow water and the height of the wave builds and goes ashore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The official recorded tsunami in Petersburg was 0.4'. My house is at 50.3' . My cell phone sent an alarm about 20 minutes before the local "red alert" phone call went out.

~ 10 years ago an Alaskan Ferry Captain was relieved of command for coming into port and docking (Petersburg) during a tsunami alert.