Carnival Hub App

Reenie75

I normally hate to have my phone or other electronics with me on a cruise. The last few cruises I had to have my phone for one reason or another.

The last cruise we used the hub app for the chat feature ($5 per person for the entire cruise). It worked ok, but is not exactly like texting. It is a bit delayed at times, and notifications are iffy.

The part that let's your check your onboard account is confusing at best. We used the kiosks to be sure of our spending etc.

The dining menus were spotty as well, I think some days they were just flat out wrong, other days they only had partial menus.

The what's happening area was great. It was not updated for activities on the day they cancelled a port stop though.

This sounds like a negative review, but I actually liked the app, and may use it again in the future. I like to be able to find my family and friends. My wife and I are opposites in the early to bed early to rise area.

So, overall, it is not perfect, but I used it and was glad I did.

I think there was a trick I found with the app, if you close out of the chat box the notifications will work but if you leave it running in the background, it doesn't notify you. When it did work, it saved me from running around the ship. I liked looking at the pictures and the daily events on it. I would favorite all the things I want to do during breakfast and all day long it would remind me of thing things coming up.

Well it is a better communication system than we have ever had before for keeping contact while on the ship. We did see issues though, twice during my cruise last month a member of our party of five would be sending texts that appeared to transmit, but none of the rest of us were receiving. Restarting the application would allow texting to continue, but it never went back and sent those texts which had failed. So you cannot trust that what you are sending is being received all of the time. I would also restart the app at least daily.

I love the other features it offers like viewing tonight's menu from my phone, alas on one night this was wrong also. According to the hub app we were getting lobster, but being a 5 day cruise, that did not happen.

I'm fresh off of Valor and if I hadn't had the HUB app I would be lost somewhere on that ship :')

The chat feature is a little sketchy because if you close out the app then you don't get notifications so you have to leave the application running (you can in the background but still isn't great) BUT it has the menus for the evening, what's going on and where, what times things are open, etc. so it was well worth the download and I will definitely be utilizing the chat feature again in October.

We love the Hub app. Like others mentioned, I hate anything paper. I hate trying to keep track of things so not having a paper Fun Times is fantastic. It's nice to have the digital version wherever I go and have it remind me of things I want to do as they come up. I also love the chat function to keep up with the rest of my family while on board.

Does it work if your phone is in airplane mode?

Yes because once you put your phone in airplane mode (which turns off both cell radio and wifi) you can go back into your wifi settings and turn wifi back on. It must be on to connect to the ships wifi which you need for HUB. But that part costs nothing and you don't have to buy a wifi plan and you can;t get hit by your cell phone provider since their Cell radio remains turned off.

And after that if you decide you want to chat with other people who have the HUB app and have enabled chat you can do that for just 5 bucks. But everything else the HUB does is free.