New security changes at airports effective 12/22

Dreamer333

Just something to keep in mind while planning airport trips to get to your cruises (and it also effects what you can pack in your carry-on):

Last week, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced new screening procedures and guidelines for airport security checkpoints throughout the domestic airport system. The new procedures go into effect - get this - on December 22, the outset of the peak holiday travel season. Here is a look at the new policies and procedures, which seem to me significant enough that the average traveler will be impacted.

star2.bmp Three Major Changes

The TSA appears to be instituting three major policy changes. One will be seen as a tightening of current policies, another as a relaxation of current policies; the last may be mostly titular in nature, but may give security staff considerably more power in the actual dispatch of their jobs:

1. There will be increased and more random screenings of individual passengers and their bags using a variety of screening methods.

2. The TSA's Prohibited Items List has been relaxed to allow tools (such as screwdrivers) and small scissors (4" cutting edge or less) in carry-on luggage.

3. The TSA is renaming and reclassifying the 43,000-strong staff of Transportation Security Screeners with the title of "Transportation Security Officers."

These changes should for the most part allow passengers through security much faster. The main reason why any one person would end up going through slower is if they are picked to have a full search. With less items TSA needs to worry about the lines should move faster.

Just a note, a major reason why the lines are so slow is because of all the IDIOTS that can't understand the english language and comprehend it (I am mostly speaking of Americans that just don't get it). When TSA tells you to empty your pockets of all metal including cell phones, just do it. It is truly amazing how many people can't follow simple rules to get through security. I think that security should pull these idiots aside and since they can't listen to directions, do full searches on these people.

If I affended you because you are one of these people, good.

I've had my little cuticle scissors taken from my make-up bag a few times... but now those are allowed.
Exactly -- me too. :) Ironically, my sister has been able to carry her metal knitting needles on planes since 9/11 with no problems. Do you know how lethal those could be if someone were really serious about it?

If you are going out of the country, becareful. The TSA has been letting you take fingernail/toenail clippers as long as it didn't have the file(or you broke the file off.) When we tried to fly back to the U.S. the other countries would not let us have these in our carryone. I had to put it in an outside pocket of the checked luggage(we use these to cut off the wire ties we use on luggage). So just because the TSA says so give this a thought. Also if the TSA changes their mind while you are on a cruise you will be out of luck.

Waterrats... I agree. I can't believe the number of people, even those who look as though they travel a lot, who get to the belt and suddenly realize they have to take off their coat, empty their pockets, take off their shoes, etc. It's like it's a huge surprise to them! I was behind one well-dressed businessman who used five bins for his coat, jacket, shoes, briefcase, etc., etc. and he didn't even start to fill them until he was actually to the moving belt. Idiot!

Archived