Great Stirrup Cay

Newbcruiser1

Good morning everyone...i would like those who have gotten out of bed on the RIGHT side to answer my question please...I am new to NCL and am beginning my internet searches. This forum is an excellent tool for the inexperienced. While I have sailed on Celebrity numerous times, and I understand there is probably not a lot of differences between the 2 when it comes down to processes, I am still learning. Did someone mention that renting a cabana is considered an excursion? I am wondering if it would be wiser to book a cabana on line pre-cruise? Do they sell out if I wait to book on board? Do you have to wait to make final payment to book on line excursions? Thanks a million. Julie

Good morning everyone...i would like those who have gotten out of bed on the RIGHT side to answer my question please...I am new to NCL and am beginning my internet searches. This forum is an excellent tool for the inexperienced. While I have sailed on Celebrity numerous times, and I understand there is probably not a lot of differences between the 2 when it comes down to processes, I am still learning. Did someone mention that renting a cabana is considered an excursion? I am wondering if it would be wiser to book a cabana on line pre-cruise? Do they sell out if I wait to book on board? Do you have to wait to make final payment to book on line excursions? Thanks a million. Julie

You ask some good questions, because, honestly, the answers might be different for different situations. So...

1. Booking a Cabana IS an excursion!

2. It is wise to book a Cabana pre-cruise. Here are the variables... IF you have the Shore Excursion Credit from Free at Sea and/or Distinctive Voyage, you have to CALL the shore department pre-cruise or book on the ship!

3. Quite often they DO sell out well before embarkation.

4. IF the Shore Excursion and/or Distinctive Voyage Credits apply to your booking, you do not pre-pay!

ALSO, you might see that prices vary (sometimes a lot) depending on A) the ship, B) the dates, and C) Holidays!!!

You ask some good questions, because, honestly, the answers might be different for different situations. So...

1. Booking a Cabana IS an excursion!

2. It is wise to book a Cabana pre-cruise. Here are the variables... IF you have the Shore Excursion Credit from Free at Sea and/or Distinctive Voyage, you have to CALL the shore department pre-cruise or book on the ship!

3. Quite often they DO sell out well before embarkation.

4. IF the Shore Excursion and/or Distinctive Voyage Credits apply to your booking, you do not pre-pay!

ALSO, you might see that prices vary (sometimes a lot) depending on A) the ship, B) the dates, and C) Holidays!!!

I pre-booked a small cabana for our November cruise online (myncl) and the shorex credit was automatically applied (total was $50 less). One thing that took me a minute to figure out was to make sure I was only choosing it for one of our party (me). I had to "uncheck" my traveling companions as it was trying to book one for each of us :).

I pre-booked a small cabana for our November cruise online (myncl) and the shorex credit was automatically applied (total was $50 less). One thing that took me a minute to figure out was to make sure I was only choosing it for one of our party (me). I had to "uncheck" my traveling companions as it was trying to book one for each of us :).

Number of people IS an excellent point when booking GSC Cabanas... only 1 Cabana needs to be reserved (depending on the size of your party)!!!

(When booking Pool Cabanas, Kayaks, and Float Boats, at Harvest Cay this also applies.)

Great questions, we just booked a large cabana for our March cruise. It is considered an excursion, you get priority tendering, and i’d book early.

If you purchase th clam shells on board do they give you something to show that you paid? Do we just hand that to worker on island? Does it give you early tender pass or do we need to reserve?

They give you a ticket (similiar to other excursions) and that is both your priority tender and your clamshell voucher. When priority tender is called, you will report to the theater where that ticket will be scanned...... then show it to the clamshell attendant when you choose your beach.

What is early?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'd suggest booking ASAP but early would be 1-2 months before sailing. Before most are paying attention to the excursions. We booked ours right after final payment at the 90 day mark, and had no trouble reserving small cabana.

Good luck.

I'd suggest booking ASAP but early would be 1-2 months before sailing. Before most are paying attention to the excursions. We booked ours right after final payment at the 90 day mark, and had no trouble reserving small cabana.

Good luck.

Thanks...my cruise is a bit in the future. I am guessing that we have to wait until final payment to book an excursion then?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Onboard the Epic right now. The cabanas are insane - $549 for a small and $599 for large! Looks like some still available for onboard booking.

The clamshells are $39.

Both seem to be bookable via the iconcierge app onboard.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Just wanted to report back after the helpful information provided here - the Epic made it there on Friday as scheduled! It was a beautiful day even though the remainder of the cruise was extremely windy!

Anyway, I took the first tender at 8am, and upon getting off, I walked down to the left as suggested by some fellow CCers above. I found a nice quiet spot on the third beach over (where there were clamshells and umbrellas which I was advised were $39 each...) under some palm trees. Unfortunately it quickly became evident that this area had a LOT of tiny bugs which seemed to be biting people. So I ended up moving and trekking back to the first large beach. I settled in under some palm trees near the second lifeguard and the small bar. Unfortunately I miscalculated where the shade would be once the sun rose so I ended up in the sun all day.

The beach and the water was gorgeous but I definitely suggest water shoes! There were some large rocks in the water which were often difficult to see. A fellow guest also found a piece of sharp glass in the sand near where I was sitting which nearly cut her foot.

Drinks were good and the ship’s beverage plan was included on the island. I visited the large buffet for lunch which had some excellent salads, a variety of grilled foods (burgers, ribs, hot dogs), fruit, cake, etc. I also stopped in at the taco bar on my way back to the ship and the chicken taco I had was excellent!

All in all, it was a lovely day!!! Just remember - sunscreen and water shoes!!! :)

Just wanted to report back after the helpful information provided here - the Epic made it there on Friday as scheduled! It was a beautiful day even though the remainder of the cruise was extremely windy!

Anyway, I took the first tender at 8am, and upon getting off, I walked down to the left as suggested by some fellow CCers above. I found a nice quiet spot on the third beach over (where there were clamshells and umbrellas which I was advised were $39 each...) under some palm trees. Unfortunately it quickly became evident that this area had a LOT of tiny bugs which seemed to be biting people. So I ended up moving and trekking back to the first large beach. I settled in under some palm trees near the second lifeguard and the small bar. Unfortunately I miscalculated where the shade would be once the sun rose so I ended up in the sun all day.

The beach and the water was gorgeous but I definitely suggest water shoes! There were some large rocks in the water which were often difficult to see. A fellow guest also found a piece of sharp glass in the sand near where I was sitting which nearly cut her foot.

Drinks were good and the ship’s beverage plan was included on the island. I visited the large buffet for lunch which had some excellent salads, a variety of grilled foods (burgers, ribs, hot dogs), fruit, cake, etc. I also stopped in at the taco bar on my way back to the ship and the chicken taco I had was excellent!

All in all, it was a lovely day!!! Just remember - sunscreen and water shoes!!! :)

We've been there only twice and missed once. Last time too we got bitten by the tiniest of bugs - barely able to see them.

We were way towards the lagoon under a palm (where they are building the Haven area). I've never run into that before but after taking a dip in the water never had a problem rest of the day.

Question regarding tender tickets. If only ONE person has to book the cabana, how does everyone in your party get priority tender tickets? We're a party of 8, in three different cabins; and only one of us booked the large cabana.

Great question! I was wondering that also in regards to the clam shells we’ve got 8 but only need 2 clam shells so wondering how that would work [emoji848]

Great question! I was wondering that also in regards to the clam shells we’ve got 8 but only need 2 clam shells so wondering how that would work [emoji848]

What happened to us..... we had 4 people but only 1 clamshell (equaling 2 lounge chairs)...... the person scanning the excursion ticket allowed 2 people to be in priority and the other 2 had to get in the general population line..... luckily we had the foresight to have them reserve a tender time just in case and they joined us 3 tenders later.

If you think about it, it makes sense to only give priority to the max number of guests something can handle because who's to say 1 person buys a clamshell or small cabana and then have 25 people show up and be "with him"

I was surprised they turned away the 2 because it was "only 2" but when does it stop..... "only 4" or "only 10"

What happened to us..... we had 4 people but only 1 clamshell (equaling 2 lounge chairs)...... the person scanning the excursion ticket allowed 2 people to be in priority and the other 2 had to get in the general population line..... luckily we had the foresight to have them reserve a tender time just in case and they joined us 3 tenders later.

If you think about it, it makes sense to only give priority to the max number of guests something can handle because who's to say 1 person buys a clamshell or small cabana and then have 25 people show up and be "with him"

I was surprised they turned away the 2 because it was "only 2" but when does it stop..... "only 4" or "only 10"

Yes makes sense for sure! I’ve never been so would the people who get the clam shells be able to take the first tender and grab their seats with the clamshells as well as seats for other people arrive in later tenders