Hawaii cruse -- LA vs. SF departure?

elycelynne

I just happened to be looking at the 15-day Hawaii itinerary for next winter and saw that there were departures out of both San Francisco and LA (San Pedro). From very recent experience I know that the weather sailing out of San Francisco can be pretty cold (at least it was sailing to and from the Mexican Riviera). Is it much warmer sailing out of LA, or does it not make much difference with the Hawaii itinerary?

We prefer San Francisco because it is easier for us to use public transportation to get to downtown San Francisco and then to the pier as opposed to navigating LA to the pier. Have sailed from both locations and seas can be choppy heading out of either port. Lots to see in San Francisco and great public transportation there.

I you plan stay in port before or after the cruise, I would pick San Francisco. That hurts me to write since I am from the LA area. There is more to see close to where the ship is docked. Also better public transportation Also the sail away is way better in SF.

However you are staying over night then it does not make a difference with the exception of the sail away. The weather is usually nicer in LA.

I you plan stay in port before or after the cruise, I would pick San Francisco. That hurts me to write since I am from the LA area. There is more to see close to where the ship is docked. Also better public transportation Also the sail away is way better in SF.

However you are staying over night then it does not make a difference with the exception of the sail away. The weather is usually nicer in LA.

Thanks. I just came back from a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand, so I did get to witness the sail away under the Golden Gate Bridge and I also took a Big Bus Hop-On Hop-Off tour after I arrived on the day before the cruise. So it's not really all that important to experience San Francisco again.

why should it hurt u to write that...it is simple fact.....sail away and location of port superior in San Francisco...:D

Thanks. I just came back from a 10-day Mexican Riviera cruise on the Grand, so I did get to witness the sail away under the Golden Gate Bridge and I also took a Big Bus Hop-On Hop-Off tour after I arrived on the day before the cruise. So it's not really all that important to experience San Francisco again.

....I have sailed out of LA during the winter months when it can been pretty chilly...when the sun goes down ..............BRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I would look at flights and cost and make my decision....

Enjoy!

We sail on the Grand more than any other ship because it sails from our home port. The Grand has some of the best service we've experienced on all our cruises. That being said, if I had a choice and had to fly into either port, I would pick the SHIP, Emerald over Grand, any day. We sailed both ships last year and I prefer SHARE to Sabatini's. On a 15 day cruise we do 3-4 specialty dining nights.

Your weather will be similar heading to Hawaii (colder). The only difference is LA will likely be warmer than SF on embarkation and disembarkation day. Hawaii trips are about 2.5-3 days heading over on the cooler side and the same on the return.

It's a no-brainer for us. SF is a 3 hour drive. LA is an 8 hour drive or else a 90 minute drive followed by a flight. I would say to book the one that works best for you. The weather will be "the weather" and no matter which port you sail from the first two days and the last two days will be cooler.