When the drink package is included?

khewston

We have never sailed on Norwegian before and I'm wondering about all those free perks included in the cruise. My husband does not drink but I do. If we chose the free drinks with our package do you automatically pay gratuities on the total value of the package even if one guest does not use it?

Depending on where you booked, you may have to pay the gratuities. You certainly do if you book in the US.

It is paid prior to the cruise, and it is irrelevant whether or not one of the people intends to use it or not.

If there is just one person drinking then it may still be worth paying the gratuities anyway. However, it may be worth looking at any cruise only fares to see whether that would be cheaper, or taking another perk instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband doesn’t drink either but he loved getting as many sodas, juices and mock tails as he wanted without seeing a bill later. I do drink and had fun trying all sorts of drinks. Definitely was worth it for us.

My husband doesn't even drink soda...just ice tea, coffee or water. I don't drink much maybe 2 drinks a day. Do you think that would be worth it for us?

I just booked a 7-night with the included drink package and had to pay $249.20 for the service charge - that works out to $35.60 per day for the two of us. I enjoy wine so I plan to use this to try every wine they have on board - if I don't like it, I haven't lost out by buying a wine I don't like. So if between two people you might drink 4 or more drinks per day - it is probably worthwhile. Otherwise you might see if they can remove it so you don't have to pay the service charge.

My husband doesn't even drink soda...just ice tea, coffee or water. I don't drink much maybe 2 drinks a day. Do you think that would be worth it for us?

The gratuity on the UBP would be just under $18 each per day, so nearly $36 for the two of you.

The UBP covers the first $15 of each drink (most are significantly under that), which, including the gratuity would be exactly $36.

So, if your drink was $15 or more and you have two of them per day then you will be a few cents up on the deal.

More likely you will need to average three drinks before it’s worth getting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be truthful: nope!!! That is just my feeling. We love the UBP, can't imagine living without it now that we are spoiled but we are drinkers, both of us. Just having our wine all paid for prior to sailing and the ability to try new drinks is fun for us :cool:

You would have to drink enough to exceed the money you spend on two gratuities. Probably cheaper to just pay by the drink for you.

We have never sailed on Norwegian before and I'm wondering about all those free perks included in the cruise. My husband does not drink but I do. If we chose the free drinks with our package do you automatically pay gratuities on the total value of the package even if one guest does not use it?

Yes, IF you are required to pay drink package gratuities with your booking (most in US are); both people in the room are required to pick the same perk or perks and any perk chosen applies to passenger 1 and 2 and have to pay gratuities on both. If you have a child traveling with you you could move them to passenger 2 and just pay gratuities on a soda package for them. Otherwise I suspect that this perk won’t be worthwhile for you. Just chalk it up that you have a $30 drink budget a day now since you didn’t pay it at booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No really if it is really 2 per day.....if it is 3 or 4 a day then you would exceed the gratuity for both making it worth it.

No. Your gratuities will be $99 per person, assuming it is a 7 day cruise. You will not come out ahead on this one. Choose another perk and enjoy your savings!

Not worth it. Avoid paying the service/gratuities fees that comes with the beverage package and maybe opt for the dining package?