Susan G. Komen 5k

svcalum07

Hello! I read on a Facebook group that Princess possibly offers a 5k on their cruises to support the Susan G. Komen foundation. Is it likely that this will be offered on my Golden Princess cruise to Alaska this summer? If so, which day is it usually on?

They sometimes have a walk on the ship. I for one, would ask you to investigate the newest information on the SGK foundation, while not as bad of an abuser of their non profit status as in the past, still not the best place for your cancer contributions. IMO

The "Walk for the Cure" is for a set number of laps around the promenade deck. Usually 8 to 10 laps which I believe is a good bit short of 5K/. They can't hold it on the Royal or Regal (as those ships have no promenade) but I still see it listed in Patters from other ships, so barring weather cancellation it should be on Golden for you this summer.

My observation is that participation on Princess ships is well lower than on other lines' versions of the Walk, based on HAL and RCI cruises the past few years. Could it be because most other lines now donate their proceeds to an umbrella group of cancer charities while Princess continues to hold on to only donating to one single-agenda group that has publicly spoken out in favor of defunding the provider of much of its screening services? Who can say.

Edited by fishywood

They sometimes have a walk on the ship. I for one, would ask you to investigate the newest information on the SGK foundation, while not as bad of an abuser of their non profit status as in the past, still not the best place for your cancer contributions. IMO

I worked there for a year and I agree!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Forums mobile app

I sincerely hope there will be no SGK run on the Regal. Having lived through cancer, the last thing I want on my cruise vacation is to be reminded of it by a deck run. I monetarily support cancer research - just not this particular organization. And from a policy standpoint, it seems like a slippery slope for cruise ships. It could literally end up being a run per day to accomodate Alzheimers; heart disease; prostate cancer; and on and on.

I sincerely hope there will be no SGK run on the Regal. Having lived through cancer, the last thing I want on my cruise vacation is to be reminded of it by a deck run. I monetarily support cancer research - just not this particular organization. And from a policy standpoint, it seems like a slippery slope for cruise ships. It could literally end up being a run per day to accomodate Alzheimers; heart disease; prostate cancer; and on and on.

They used to have an Alzheimer's walk but everyone For**t. They don't have the ba**s to have a prostate walk and the heart disease walk is at the stroke of midnight, so it is not regularly attended.

ballit.jpeg.5c330f552ee69f7b67c03cc33e60004f.jpeg

I sincerely hope there will be no SGK run on the Regal. Having lived through cancer, the last thing I want on my cruise vacation is to be reminded of it by a deck run

I totally agree with you.

HAL used to make continuous announcements for several days for their Cancer walk.

Finally, on one cruise I approached two other women with the chemo head scarves and identified myself as a fellow cancer patient.

We talked about what a downer the constant announcements were and arranged a meeting with the cruise director to explain what a negative impact the announcements were on the on board experience of cancer patients as we were cruising to escape the realities of life for a short period and our faces were being constantly shoved in the sh*t by the announcements.

The cruise director listened, stopped the onboard pushing of the event and I am happy to say that HAL's approach is now to make one announcement the night before about the event and no more.

Everyone has a different approach. I am more likely to scream it in the mdr to let everyone know that cancer impacts so many. I did nothing consciously to get cancer, so I have no problem telling everyone or anyone to get themselves checked and to not be afraid of discussing all the aspects of their experience. But, to each their own.

I can also bring diagrams, if you would like.