NCL cancels Eastern Ports, will Carnival follow ?

stormgrey11

Some ports are still not open to cruise ships, and those that are are still in recovery mode. As you know, San Juan was hit really hard. The port is open, but a large portion of the island is still without electricity or running water. Don't be too surprised to see some itineraries changed, or excursions unavailable for the next year or two.

Just read on the NCL board that the Eastern itinerary for the Getaway is cancelled thru September. Didn't see anything else for their other ships. Could it be, due to hurricane rebuild still going on, that port congestion is just too much with other ships as well and NCL has decided to just modify some of their ships itineraries/?

One thing to consider is the options for ports that NCL has in the Eastern Caribbean.

The Carnival Corp lines are sharing the private Islands, HMC, Princess Cays and also have captive ports at Amber Cove and Grand Turk. They can put together itineraries with just those options or combine them with one other stop and have a reasonable cruise.

NCL only has Great Stirrup Cay, so they have to find multiple ports for stops in the Eastern Caribbean.

I don't see any of the Carnival Corp brands, or the Royal Caribbean brands having to switch from Eastern routes as they have plenty of options for ports.

Just off Glory this past Saturday, with ports of San Juan and St. Thomas on the itinerary. There is still plenty of work to be done in and near these ports. From our balcony on the ship we could see roofs ripped off or under repair in St. Thomas - Sr. Frogs closed, Paradise point tram closed, many stores boarded up.

While walking the ship at 5 a.m. before porting in San Juan, it was apparent that a lot of the island had no lights. In Old San Juan, many stores were still closed/boarded. I am glad we stopped there, as it was evident that tourist dollars were being spent. I only hope the money will filter down to those who need it. One shopkeeper in OSJ told me she still had no water or power. It was heart-breaking to hear.

One thing to consider is the options for ports that NCL has in the Eastern Caribbean.

The Carnival Corp lines are sharing the private Islands, HMC, Princess Cays and also have captive ports at Amber Cove and Grand Turk. They can put together itineraries with just those options or combine them with one other stop and have a reasonable cruise.

NCL only has Great Stirrup Cay, so they have to find multiple ports for stops in the Eastern Caribbean.

I don't see any of the Carnival Corp brands, or the Royal Caribbean brands having to switch from Eastern routes as they have plenty of options for ports.

Our eastern itinerary on RCI is San Juan, St Maarten and private island. Since we are on Oasis they don't have many options if any at all but I don't foresee them switching to a western itinerary.

Bill

No comparison between the Norwegian Getaway, a 4,000 passenger beast, with Carnival Fascination, at 2,000 passengers.

My guess is that the sheer size of the NCL ship was the problem.

Another reason I prefer smaller ships over the larger ones.

Royal is currently sending all three Oasis and a Quantum class ship to Eastern ports, so it appears it's just NCL's decision, not correlation with Ship size.

I do not know what the original itinerary for the Getaway was. If the ports that the ship were scheduled for are still not usable, NCL could have a problem with finding substitute ports that can be reached in a seven day cruise, can handle a ship the size of Getaway, and that are not already fully scheduled with similar size ships or a full load of ships. Port schedules are set years in advance (two is the number that comes to mind, but could be further out).

I do not know what the original itinerary for the Getaway was. If the ports that the ship were scheduled for are still not usable, NCL could have a problem with finding substitute ports that can be reached in a seven day cruise, can handle a ship the size of Getaway, and that are not already fully scheduled with similar size ships or a full load of ships. Port schedules are set years in advance (two is the number that comes to mind, but could be further out).

Her original itinerary was St Thomas, Tortola and Nassau.

I’m probably in the minority but if these ports aren’t up to snuff I’d rather be rerouted. I’m on Glory in 18 Days and I want to enjoy the ports not be limited in doing things.

I’m looking most forward to HMC after that I don’t care.

I also think the letter is referring to all of their ships not just one. If it were just one I think it would state that particular ship.

Correction....I didn’t see the ships name....my mistake.

Edited by Midwestgal

Her original itinerary was St Thomas, Tortola and Nassau.

St Thomas and Tortola were two of the hardest hit ports, and Nassau sucks no matter what, so it makes sense that NCL is choosing to abandon this route temporarily.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums