Just off the Breeze

DebJ14

We are just off the Breeze after our 3rd (and last) cruise on her. I will write a full review when I have recovered from the upper respiratory infection I picked up onboard. My DH came down with it on Friday night and I woke up this morning with a temp of 101. At times it sounded like a TB ward on the ship with so many people coughing. Even having a table for 2 in every venue, and avoiding the Lido Buffet as much as possible, we still got sick. Doc ran the test for flu today and it is not flu, just a nasty virus, so a flu shot would not have helped!

The cutbacks were painfully obvious. Only one night did we see a bar waiter circulating in Ocean Plaza taking drink orders. DH stood in line at the Alchemy Bar for 20 minutes trying to get me a drink, but we had to give up and go to dinner.

Our room steward had cabins on both the odd and even side, so he was never around when you needed him. I hate having to call them. He did not come by the first night to introduce himself. We wanted robes and ice and saw a stewardess down the hall. She said she did not service our cabin, but called our steward. He was really put out by the requests. I sprained my wrist before the trip and needed ice to keep the swelling down. I talked to the GS manager about it and next thing I knew we had the floor supervisor and asst housekeeping manager at our door. From then on the steward put forth a good effort, so we tipped him extra the last night. In fact, knowing how sick my husband was, he told us to just stay in the cabin during the fog delay. We gave him even more when we left the cabin at 10:45am.

The new steakhouse menu leaves those of us who are gluten and dairy free with a choice of fruit for dessert. We used to be able to get a GF version of the Chocolate Sampler.:loudcry: At Cucina now our only dessert choice is lemon sorbet.:( They also removed our favorite salads and the broccoli from the steakhouse menu. The garlic rappini is very bitter. I guess the Vegans have won as they no longer bring the raw meat to the table. Instead there is a big production over what kind of salt you want them to use on your meat. Total waste of everyone's time.

Breakfast and brunch in the dining room were fine and we had some good waiters and some not so good waiters. Thankfully, at dinner we had the great team of Allan from the Phillipines and Borjon from Bosnia Herzogovenia. They were excellent. Allan has a wonderful dry sense of humor and Borjon is just a really nice guy who excels at his job. Also, Asst. Maitre D , Marcin, who we knew from other ships was very good. I was also pleased to see him constantly checking the hand sanitizer dispensers on the Lido and order them to be refilled!

Food in the main dining room was OK. On Saturday night I went to get my husband some dinner on the Lido to bring back to the room and the food was disgusting. We ended up with a salad and baked potato as there were no GF options and we don't eat pork. No desserts either.

Hats off to the Asst. Housekeeping Manager from India who told the people with the baby in diapers to take their baby out of the back pool!

The weather was lousy in the ports. We got off in Cozumel, but it started to rain, so we went back to the ship. We never got off in Roatan and Belize. Belize day the sun was in and out and we ran under cover quite a few times, but still managed to get some sun. It rained all day in Roatan.

It is making us rethink our annual January cruise, and I am contemplating canceling our Jan 2019 cruise on the Vista.

Back to Royal Caribbean in May!

We are just off the Breeze after our 3rd (and last) cruise on her. I will write a full review when I have recovered from the upper respiratory infection I picked up onboard. My DH came down with it on Friday night and I woke up this morning with a temp of 101. At times it sounded like a TB ward on the ship with so many people coughing. Even having a table for 2 in every venue, and avoiding the Lido Buffet as much as possible, we still got sick. Doc ran the test for flu today and it is not flu, just a nasty virus, so a flu shot would not have helped!

The cutbacks were painfully obvious. Only one night did we see a bar waiter circulating in Ocean Plaza taking drink orders. DH stood in line at the Alchemy Bar for 20 minutes trying to get me a drink, but we had to give up and go to dinner.

Our room steward had cabins on both the odd and even side, so he was never around when you needed him. I hate having to call them. He did not come by the first night to introduce himself. We wanted robes and ice and saw a stewardess down the hall. She said she did not service our cabin, but called our steward. He was really put out by the requests. I sprained my wrist before the trip and needed ice to keep the swelling down. I talked to the GS manager about it and next thing I knew we had the floor supervisor and asst housekeeping manager at our door. From then on the steward put forth a good effort, so we tipped him extra the last night. In fact, knowing how sick my husband was, he told us to just stay in the cabin during the fog delay. We gave him even more when we left the cabin at 10:45am.

The new steakhouse menu leaves those of us who are gluten and dairy free with a choice of fruit for dessert. We used to be able to get a GF version of the Chocolate Sampler.:loudcry: At Cucina now our only dessert choice is lemon sorbet.:( They also removed our favorite salads and the broccoli from the steakhouse menu. The garlic rappini is very bitter. I guess the Vegans have won as they no longer bring the raw meat to the table. Instead there is a big production over what kind of salt you want them to use on your meat. Total waste of everyone's time.

Breakfast and brunch in the dining room were fine and we had some good waiters and some not so good waiters. Thankfully, at dinner we had the great team of Allan from the Phillipines and Borjon from Bosnia Herzogovenia. They were excellent. Allan has a wonderful dry sense of humor and Borjon is just a really nice guy who excels at his job. Also, Asst. Maitre D , Marcin, who we knew from other ships was very good. I was also pleased to see him constantly checking the hand sanitizer dispensers on the Lido and order them to be refilled!

Food in the main dining room was OK. On Saturday night I went to get my husband some dinner on the Lido to bring back to the room and the food was disgusting. We ended up with a salad and baked potato as there were no GF options and we don't eat pork. No desserts either.

Hats off to the Asst. Housekeeping Manager from India who told the people with the baby in diapers to take their baby out of the back pool!

The weather was lousy in the ports. We got off in Cozumel, but it started to rain, so we went back to the ship. We never got off in Roatan and Belize. Belize day the sun was in and out and we ran under cover quite a few times, but still managed to get some sun. It rained all day in Roatan.

It is making us rethink our annual January cruise, and I am contemplating canceling our Jan 2019 cruise on the Vista.

Sounds like you had a lousy cruise, health and weather wise, hope your next one is better and stay away from january and yes Carnival has gone downhill in quality in food and entertainment but the prices keep going up.

Sounds like you had a lousy cruise, health and weather wise, hope your next one is better and stay away from january and yes Carnival has gone downhill in quality in food and entertainment but the prices keep going up.

Interesting... My last 2 cruises on Carnival....Best food in MDR out of 10 cruises. Obviously I must be playing Russian Roulette.... I guess I better switch to another line.... lol

Sorry to hear it was so bad. And I hope you both get well quickly.

This is something I hadn't considered in the past. We have cruised in January, May and August. but January is flu season so it's scary to think with that many people on board who is carrying it and doesn't realize it yet!

I got off the NCL Getaway on January 14th, and came down with Influenza A (tested positive) and left lower lobe pneumonia. But I do not blame the cruise line. It is just a risk you take cruising during the height of flu season. Considering I left last year’s January cruise with pneumonia also, we decided to book for March of 2019, hoping flu season will ease up by then. And we booked it on the Breeze. I am really looking forward to it. We are very low maintenance people, so I’m sure we will be fine and have a perfectly grand vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums