MSC Seaside nasty odor

ERLEC

I'm pretty sure the smell has been eliminated for Yacht Club and Aurea passengers, mostly gone for Fantastica, but still there for Bella passengers, especially North American Bella passengers. ;o)

Admin: please don't delete, this post is tongue in cheek. Just a little humor. I hope you understand.

LOL ;p

I agree to this. But why this is happening on this ship? It's not the first ship that Fincantieri built. They follow standards since decades, it's just weird to see that happening now.

My personal feeling is that the crew have not located all the deck drains that need traps filled, and/or they have not developed the knowledge of how often they need to be refilled due to drying out.

I can sit here and dispute this till I'm blue in the face but I have better things to do. I was there,I smelled what I smelled and it is what it is. Like I said I don't care to stay in a cabin where my health is at risk. I hope they get the problem fixed as it is one beautiful ship. Maybe a temporary fix to the problem would be to rename it "The Sewerside"LOL Happy cruising. Thank you for your info on the sewage system!

;):):););)

so i'm booked for my honeymoon in august..this s--t smell is really concerning. I just got off the phone with msc customer service. They are obviously aware of the problem. They were informed that some machinery on the ship was not installed/connected properly and was venting exhaust fumes into the ship. It sounds like they have engineers and mechanics fixing the situation this week. Thats the story i got.

hope you have good information

My personal feeling is that the crew have not located all the deck drains that need traps filled, and/or they have not developed the knowledge of how often they need to be refilled due to drying out.

Thank you again. I've read elsewhere on CC that one can help the situation in one's cabin by pouring some water down the sink and the drain, is that something you'd concur with?

Don't know if this will help. When I complained to room steward he informed me all his veranda rooms had the same smell. He took me in to an inside room and there was no smell. He told me it was coming from the air conditioning and I agreed with him. He told me to be sure and document it with guest services. 3 different employees up the ranks had to confirm the smell before agreeing to switch rooms. To add insult to injury they gave me a certificate for a free Specialty Dinner and when I used it they later tried to charge me for dinner claiming they never gave me certificate. I really can't enjoy a cruise when you need to carry a copy machine and tape recorder to get what is due you. The problems and lies continued thruout the cruise. European Style cruising is not for me! It was a relief to go on an Oasis cruise the next day to be able to enjoy myself.

Thank you again. I've read elsewhere on CC that one can help the situation in one's cabin by pouring some water down the sink and the drain, is that something you'd concur with?

I'm the one who started disseminating this information. What most folks don't know is that there is a floor drain in the bathroom outside the shower (typically a gutter at the door or a round drain under the wall mounted toilet), and this drain does not see water often. A glass of water every day, down this drain keeps the odor out of the bathroom.

I'm the one who started disseminating this information. What most folks don't know is that there is a floor drain in the bathroom outside the shower (typically a gutter at the door or a round drain under the wall mounted toilet), and this drain does not see water often. A glass of water every day, down this drain keeps the odor out of the bathroom.

Ah, thanks, apologies for not investigating that first. I think we'll make sure to keep that in mind about the glass of water.

Sure hope it works for you as it didn't for me! Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you. I have almost 9 months to go so my hope is whatever may be causing the smell will be gone. Some reviews have mentioned no smell at all so I think my chances are good. :)

But why this is happening on this ship? It's not the first ship that Fincantieri built.

It's the first ship Fincantieri has built where the funnel is mid-ship, not aft. The gray water system vents to the mid ship funnel area. My guess is that there's an intake for the air conditioning system downwind of that.

It's the first ship Fincantieri has built where the funnel is mid-ship, not aft. The gray water system vents to the mid ship funnel area. My guess is that there's an intake for the air conditioning system downwind of that.

I think that would require some pretty unique weather conditions for the vents to be carried down the 30+ feet above the highest deck to any possible air intake, especially to create a day in, day out odor problem, at sea or in port, and over multiple areas of the ship. Each vertical fire zone on the ship (probably 10-12 of these, they are the areas separated by the fire doors in the passageways) has a separate HVAC system, with a separate fresh air intake. If this was the problem, it would be sporadic in nature due to wind shifts, ship speed and direction, humidity, etc.

Cheng ... With all your knowledge of working on ships it seems some people want to ignore your responses.

I don't mind folks floating theories, and I realize that many people don't know anything about how ships differ from their favorite hotel or resort.

I was just on the ship for a week. Disembarked on Saturday. In the entire 7-days, I did not encounter one foul smelling odor and believe me I was all over the ship. Mind you I wasn't down every cabin corridor or in every cabin, but every public space indoors and out, absolutely. Not saying people haven't smelled odors, but from my experience it's non-existent. Perhaps they resolved whatever the problem was?

I was on the ship last week as well (same as eroller) and concur with everything he stated. we too were all over the ship in virtually every public space. The only time we personally smelled anything out of the ordinary was on deck four forward while waiting to disembark in Nassau. It was not overwhelming, but noticeable. By the time we returned later in the afternoon it was gone.

I was just on the ship for a week. Disembarked on Saturday. In the entire 7-days, I did not encounter one foul smelling odor and believe me I was all over the ship. Mind you I wasn't down every cabin corridor or in every cabin, but every public space indoors and out, absolutely. Not saying people haven't smelled odors, but from my experience it's non-existent. Perhaps they resolved whatever the problem was?

There's been nearly a panic on the boards about this issue, I wish they could have a crawl (preferably with flashing lights) at the top of the website saying "The Smell is Gone." Some posts have (I say this charitably, of course) been a little overblown. (pun intended!) :')

We were on the sailing. Our cabins were on decks 19, 11, 12 and 14...and all experiences foul smell in the hallway and in our cabins. It was not pleasant at night when you are trying to sleep. During the day, we are out and about and were not bothered.

The only public area where it smelled terrible was around the hot tub area right near the end of the blue slides. We weren't sure if it is sewer smell or we were near the ship exhaust (smoke stack).

There's been nearly a panic on the boards about this issue, I wish they could have a crawl (preferably with flashing lights) at the top of the website saying "The Smell is Gone." Some posts have (I say this charitably, of course) been a little overblown. (pun intended!) :')

I’m not at all sure the smell is gone. My current count in terms of reports from last week is that there have been 4 reports of people last week who experienced the smell- 2 who said no smell at all, and another 4 who had “partial smell” or very minimal smell. But gone?

To keep posting over and over that the smell is gone may very well be misleading for those thinking of purchasing a last minute deal. I do believe MSc is working on the issue, but there have been enough current reports for me to still consider smell a potential issue.

The good news is that the poor review are driving prices down down down (no pun intended) [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m not at all sure the smell is gone. My current count in terms of reports from last week is that there have been 4 reports of people last week who experienced the smell- 2 who said no smell at all, and another 4 who had “partial smell” or very minimal smell. But gone?

To keep posting over and over that the smell is gone may very well be misleading for those thinking of purchasing a last minute deal. I do believe MSc is working on the issue, but there have been enough current reports for me to still consider smell a potential issue.

The good news is that the poor review are driving prices down down down (no pun intended) [emoji4]

BermudaBound2014

I have read quite a few posts similar to the one above from eroller to the effect that there is NO odor at all. While you’re concerned that those with the impression it’s gone might be misled, I am equally concerned about people canceling their cruises over this (as I’ve already seen reported here several times this week) when it’s possible there is NO offensive smell to be detected, or it’s minimal, only happens in certain less frequented areas, etc.

I have read quite a few posts similar to the one above from eroller to the effect that there is NO odor at all.

I have only read two reports of no smell at all. Eroller (who is a very respected member of this forum) and one other (forget the name) Can you please point me “quite a few”? Not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand where you are coming from.

I'll go ahead and post my experience here as I'm on Seaside now, there can be some really bad sewer stench at times. It can hit you in the face while walking deck 19 by the water park and can just linger around annoyingly at the main pools aft of the stacks. Sometimes the wind will blow it forward over the YC deck. You can walk on various cabin decks or inside public decks and suddenly get overpowered, it's pretty random which a/c vent will be spewing the stench. It's not constant nor everywhere, but I can't believe people say they were never hit by it. Noseblindness? It doesn't seem to be getting into the cabins unless it is being pumped into your hallway and when you open the door it gets in. It's not in the YC halls, but I have lightly smelled it in the public restroom.

On a possible related topic, a couple times now the aftish public restrooms all around MDR's clogged and overflowed during the dinnertime rush. People continued to use them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

but I can't believe people say they were never hit by it. Noseblindness?

Believe it. I was on the ship for a week and didn't smell any unpleasant odors, and neither did the 3 people I was traveling with. We were all over the ship as well. Definitely not noseblindness as my husband especially has a very keen sense of smell.