Using US contactless credit cars outside US

NoWhiners

I wish restaurants in the US would catch up with the rest of the world in not giving your credit card to a waiter who leaves your sight. In all other countries I have been to they bring a wireless device to your table and the card never leaves your hand.

I agree totally. BUT I always follow the waiter to the point of charging; I don't let the card out of my sight.

Try buying gas at the gas station with a UK credit/debit card, no zip no chance. America is so insular with so many things, yet the amount of overseas visitors must be huge

Even Canadian cards often fail at the pumps in the US. Not everyone has a zip code!!!

The wording on the Costco VISA says no foreign transactions while "Shopping or at foreign web sites". Does "Shopping" include all purchases such as hotels, tours, food, or is it restricted to purchasing merchandise?

When I read the article, I interpreted it to mean all purchases, whether online or not. My DH happened to be on the phone with Visa while I was reading this, so we asked them. They said all purchases overseas, no exceptions. She further offered that it was for any transaction that requires a conversion to US $.

ML

Just an update:

Today I spoke with the Visa folks and they said "Yes, your card will work on the tube in London". Now, I'm still not convinced, but I will try.

They will be sending me a PIN, but said in the US I only need it for cash advances. They were less sure about if I had to use chip and PIN once before trying to use it on the tube, but they did say as soon as I receive my new PIN, I could call and change it. That would appear to their system as a use, and I should be all set. And I get to pick my own PIN.

So, I'm not sure it work, but we will give it a try. And I can always buy an Oyster card, so no worries. I do love that I not only have a "no foreign transaction fee" card (my DH had one that we used when needed overseas) but I get all the benefits of Costco's rebate on travel, gas, and other purchases, which are quite good (they are listed in the article at the link I posted earlier).

ML

Just an update:

Today I spoke with the Visa folks and they said "Yes, your card will work on the tube in London". Now, I'm still not convinced, but I will try.

That's the answer I received last summer. Like I reported earlier, our contactless Visa cards did not work for the Tube. We had to buy the Oyster cards (and they worked for that using the chip). They did work in a few other places in London.

That's the answer I received last summer. Like I reported earlier, our contactless Visa cards did not work for the Tube. We had to buy the Oyster cards (and they worked for that using the chip). They did work in a few other places in London.

geoherb

I have no expectation it will work but will give it a try and then go buy an Oyster card :) Was your Visa card the one from Costco or a different one? Even the TFL site says some Visa cards work and some don't. I wonder what the difference is.

It seems so simple, but it isn't.

ML

What about the American Express cards you can buy at the grocery store? Has anyone used that to register your card for ship expenditures?

Not allowed.

The card used for the shipboard account must have your name associated with it. The cards from the grocery store do not have any person's name on them.

Try buying gas at the gas station with a UK credit/debit card, no zip no chance. America is so insular with so many things, yet the amount of overseas visitors must be huge

For Canadians, we use the three numbers in our postal code and then put two zeros at the end to make up a 5 digit "zip code" - works like a charm! UK people might want to give it a try the next time they're in the US - hopefully it works for you.