Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics

notamermaid

Someone had asked about feedback on Teeming. 

All the other travelers we have talked to are very happy with this cruise line . Most have not been on another river cruise ( makes me think many start with one line and then stick with it), and can’t believe how low the prices are . Really - it is a fantastic  deal . It’s about 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of Viking and most other major lines.   

Some of the guests have described this as first class . One who had been on Vantage before and didn’t like it. 

The alcohol prices are great -about five dollars for a glass of wine. 20% off during happy hour. 

Most say they don’t want to have the tours and like not having the cost of them included in what we pay. They don’t want / need their hand held and don’t want to be tied to a tour.
I do like not having to be ready to go at eight in the morning , that’s true . And I like doing things on my own.  And doing research ahead. The tour director gives a talk each night to tell us about the town we’re seeing , and what  to see and do there and we have maps .

The other 2 lines I’ve been on did have more and  better entertainment . But then you are kept so busy and I kind of like reading after dinner. 

The husband and wife owner are on this cruise and it sounds like they are on most of them. They are very personable and responsive. 

I don’t see how the included alcohol and excursions and entertainment can be worth another $2000 pp a week  on most other cruise lines. 

The rooms are comparable it seems to other ones I’ve been on , though I think the lowest category room is smaller. 

Two members of the Nitty-Gritty Dirt Band are on here and have performed three nights. Other than that,  and the resident piano player , we had a glass blower on board one afternoon . 

14 hours ago, Jimmy_Buffett said:

Our two days of deviation on Viking this week.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hi we are on this in reverse on the 14th December and supposed to be on the Mani - is it my understanding that it's going to be Heidelberg or Strasbourg but not both as originally planned? The excursion to Heidelberg is an awful long one and would rather get shuttle into Strasbourg and wander at our leisure. You never know by the time we join whatever boat the rain may have eased it. 

1st Sunday in Advent and I have had my first proper visit to a Christmas market. Got a couple of small presents for relatives. It has started raining as well, during the afternoon with us. Not too much but more than just drizzle. I hope it was a bit more in the Upper Rhine valley.

The river levels this afternoon: Maxau 317cm, Kaub 38cm, Koblenz 41cm. 38cm at Kaub is certainly better than the 28cm we had a few days ago. And there is the "promise" of more. The forecast says 45cm by tomorrow evening and the prediction indicates that it is possible to reach 60cm during Tuesday. A further rise is indicated but all those figures I take with two pinches of salt. Will we see the 135cm ships sailing through the gorge on the day of St. Nikolaus (6 December)? As Nikolaus is not only the patron saint of seafarers but also of those sailing the inland waterways, what a fitting date that would be...

But first, about the current situation an article from the "The Independent" in the UK. Yes, another cruisecritic forum user is cited: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/christmas-river-cruise-danube-rhine-water-levels-low-markets-europe-ship-swaps-a8658826.html

notamermaid

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 5:20 PM, notamermaid said:

It does not look as if it will rain by the bucketload but an umbrella will come in very handy. Still hoping for a last minute change of cruise itinerary North of the gorge for you.

Safe travels.

notamermaid

We left Zurich yesterday at the end of our impromptu train trip down the Rhine Valley after we opted out of our bus/river cruise. Some rain along the way (incl the last couple of days in Zurich) but was very light, off and on when it did rain. Instead of an umbrella I would recommend a hooded rain coat. I found trying to eat a sausage and drink gluhwein at the same time while wandering through the markets left me one hand short to hold an umbrella...

All the markets are quite amazing. If you get the chance for a side trip to Colmar while in Strasbourg I highly recommend it. The Markets, architecture, history, wine tasting etc etc made it one of the highlights. Easy 25 min train ride. 

3 hours ago, sjde said:

Someone had asked about feedback on Teeming. 

All the other travelers we have talked to are very happy with this cruise line . Most have not been on another river cruise ( makes me think many start with one line and then stick with it), and can’t believe how low the prices are . Really - it is a fantastic  deal . It’s about 1/3 or 1/4 the cost of Viking and most other major lines.   

Some of the guests have described this as first class . One who had been on Vantage before and didn’t like it. 

The alcohol prices are great -about five dollars for a glass of wine. 20% off during happy hour. 

Most say they don’t want to have the tours and like not having the cost of them included in what we pay. They don’t want / need their hand held and don’t want to be tied to a tour.
I do like not having to be ready to go at eight in the morning , that’s true . And I like doing things on my own.  And doing research ahead. The tour director gives a talk each night to tell us about the town we’re seeing , and what  to see and do there and we have maps .

The other 2 lines I’ve been on did have more and  better entertainment . But then you are kept so busy and I kind of like reading after dinner. 

The husband and wife owner are on this cruise and it sounds like they are on most of them. They are very personable and responsive. 

I don’t see how the included alcohol and excursions and entertainment can be worth another $2000 pp a week  on most other cruise lines. 

The rooms are comparable it seems to other ones I’ve been on , though I think the lowest category room is smaller. 

Two members of the Nitty-Gritty Dirt Band are on here and have performed three nights. Other than that,  and the resident piano player , we had a glass blower on board one afternoon . 

Thank you for your report.

Just to give you (the community) an example how such additional things like wine and excursions can work on a German cruise line, here is an example of how nicko cruises does it. Onto the base price you can buy an excursion package and/or a drinks package. https://www.nicko-cruises.de/en/expose/four-countries-one-river-2/

On that particular cruise five excursions and drinks together are 343 euros, which at today's rate is 388.19 dollars.

On my river cruise (Transocean) I bought the excursion pack and two or three additional ones on board, but did not get a drinks package.

notamermaid

Our two days of deviation on Viking this week.

Thank You for the info...Keep us posted & enjoy your journey..

I am a little confused. Did you dock in Cologne 9am to midnight as the original Itinerary or was this omitted?

Also, is the sail of the middle of the Rhine and visit to the castle done on a day 2 of cologne and can you see both excursions on the same day?

We planned a whole day and evening of activities in Cologne, I will be disappointed if our stay in cologne has been affected.

Kathryn & Alan

Leaving on the 15th

IS the AMAPrima really on the move?  I see on both MarineTraffic and Cruise Mapper that she is south of Nijmegen.  Am I seeing things?  From what I can determine she is on her way downstream from Cologne.  If Cologne is her final destination, then at least we would have one Christmas market and be in Germany on the Rhine.  I'm hoping that she is positioning herself in case the river traffic increases and she is able to get to Basel for us.  My cruise is Saturday - Basel to AMS

Re Uniworld’s SS Antoinette, originally scheduled for embarkation on Dec 5 in Basel...

Sailing now deferred until Thursday 6 Dec with first night in a hotel in Freiburg with intention to embark sometime later on 6 Dec at an as yet unknown location.

While the radar for Mainz presents hope is it too little too late?  Marine Traffic still showing the SS Antoinette in dock in Cologne.  How long would it need to get to say Strasbourg?

Hope this is not a case of Uniworld breaking the bad news gradually?  Death by a thousand cuts?

Edited by Magpie22
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, nstarrenburg said:

Does this help?

031B91FC-8AC1-4DF5-9A2D-CB1A080A793F.png

4702E9FC-D08E-473B-A80E-2110F111D4C0.png

Nick, THANK YOU! The level at Kaubis promising! Koblenz also looks good, or at least better. Where did you find that info? Mine is always displayed as a map, but yours looks so much better. Thank you, again, this is very helpful!

5 minutes ago, hbr777 said:

Nick, THANK YOU! The level at Kaubis promising! Koblenz also looks good, or at least better. Where did you find that info? Mine is always displayed as a map, but yours looks so much better. Thank you, again, this is very helpful!

This was the link...

https://www.pegelonline.wsv.de/gast/start#locations?w=RHEIN

nstarrenburg,

Thank for the link. It is the list how it is also displayed on my smartphone. Looks promising indeed. I will have a closer look later.

It rained overnight in the middle Rhine valley and the forecast for more rain is still standing. Not dramatic amounts but some very good longer showers spread over the next few days. And it is mild, we will see no snow in the valley.

notamermaid