Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

I'm paying attention because we're considering booking the Encore for Jan/Feb 2020, depending on how our first cruise with NCL goes here in a few days.  But as of right now, there doesn't seem to be a lot that gives a super-solid indication on what exactly will be available.

The building process looks pretty cool, though.  It'd be amazing to be able to visit the actual facility.  

1 hour ago, TheDougOut said:

Is it just me, or is there less excitement (and activity) this time around with the Encore?  Maybe this a consequence of the CruiseCritic site changes & less board activity, or maybe NCL just isn’t delivering much “wow”.  What do you think? 

Bumping thread with latest web cam pic...

6E7EF398-AB43-4C0D-A9A8-E6B897FE13CE.jpeg

Doug, 

Based on the details revealed for the Encore have the Mrs. and I less excited. We were targeting a trip in spring of 2020, a few months after the ship has completed a month or two running its itinerary and working out any inefficiencies that come with a new ship. We did that for the Epic and the Escape, both of which brought us back to those ships over the years. Before any specific info was public on the Encore, I was hoping that this ship would be the best one of its class, especially with the name. Based on what we've seen so far with the lack of AFT outdoor space, possibly no Spice H20, and the increased Haven prices for what is just an "OK" itinerary (San Juan arrival in the evening, and recovering/developing Tortola port), has left us thinking of returning to the Escape or possibly trying the Getaway. 

Don't get me wrong, the go-carts are cool, but we asked ourselves, how much would we use them? Especially hearing that even with a reservations, you are still wait up to an hour to ride. The gaming concept sounds great, but again, how many time will we do this? I can see the maximum being twice, tops. 

The main reason why we cruise is to unplug, relax, and recharge while exploring a new ship. 

Haven't completely ruled it out as of yet. 

Hopefully as deck plans get released, we may find something to rekindle our interest with this ship. 

Edited by Zena2005

I just wish they get rid of the laser tag, instead of expanding it. 

GoKarts at Sea.. pretty cool. 

Laser Tag.. not so much. 

I know the observation lounge is supposed to 'replace' Spice H20 in some odd way, and I know they are increasing the size of track for GoKarts, but why not just do that instead of removing premium viewing area for adult-only. 

My issue is not so much with the Spice H20 area. Shoot, get rid of Spice H20, but don't replace it will a Laser tag arena. That being said, I hope NCL gets filthy rich off the idea. 

Edited by willsears94

It's mostly disappointing that NCL chooses to host laser tag in a dedicated, outdoor space rather than finding an underutilized, indoor space to share like Royal Caribbean has managed to do.  Sure, it allows them to create more complicated layouts with fixed barriers, but what's the benefit of putting it outside?  If anything, you want to play laser tag in as dark a space as possible.

Edited by timf2001
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, timf2001 said:

It's mostly disappointing that NCL chooses to host laser tag in a dedicated, outdoor space rather than finding an underutilized, indoor space to share like Royal Caribbean has managed to do. 

Totally agree.  We saw the “pop up” laser tag on RC’s Mariner a couple months back  - and I dare say it looked more impressive than the Encore’s dedicated space.

Just booked the Encore to Bermuda for my honeymoon in May 2020! It will be my fiance’s first cruise, I’m excited it will be on the newest ship! I booked a spa balcony, so I’m interested to see what the spa is like on the encore. Can’t wait to see more updates!

12 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The thought of possibly seeing the hull art again is keeping people away from the thread.:classic_mellow:

Say what you will but when Encore pulls into any port with that LOUD, PROUD, and in your face hull art combined with a race track that goes over the side of the ship, with a giant colorful sea monster hovering over the aft deck space.....people's mouths are going open in awe 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Two Wheels Only said:

2792afd28641f70d9882a4ad61a1e979_XL.jpg

There's a joke...but people are laughing at Encore, not with it.

My wife and I have only ever been on one other cruise, with Carnival.  When I mentioned to her I was thinking about booking NCL her first statement was "Ooooh, they were the ones with the really brightly colored boats, right?"

So... I mean, at least it's distinctive.  😀

The same reaction was to the NCL Breakaway and I was one of them too.  Today the hull art on Breakaway is widely accepted as pretty cool.  Its bold, its crazy but so is the rest of the ship with both water slides and a race track over the edge of the ship.  I think that GIAGANTIC race track will have much more attention more than the hull art.  Plus what is that giant, colorful squiggly thing off the back of the ship ...laser tag play area.  When all these things on the top deck, I don't think many will even notice the hull art :classic_rolleyes:

Edited by david_sobe

looking here in with every new post, but i think at the moment here is not so much to talk about.

In a german musical forum wrote someone they will show kinky boots in a length with 90 Minutes. But i don´t know where the user have the info from.

Edited by Steff79

3 hours ago, willsears94 said:

I just wish they get rid of the laser tag, instead of expanding it. 

GoKarts at Sea.. pretty cool. 

Laser Tag.. not so much. 

I know the observation lounge is supposed to 'replace' Spice H20 in some odd way, and I know they are increasing the size of track for GoKarts, but why not just do that instead of removing premium viewing area for adult-only. 

My issue is not so much with the Spice H20 area. Shoot, get rid of Spice H20, but don't replace it will a Laser tag arena. That being said, I hope NCL gets filthy rich off the idea. 

Technically, they are swapping deck space. The area that was used for laser tag on Bliss is becoming sun-deck space on Encore...  And the area that was Spice H20 on Bliss, is actually becoming the Galaxy Pavilion with a new deck being built on top of that where the Laser Tag will be located.  In the grand scheme of things, they are actually adding additional square footage to Encore...

Not excited at all.  Have cruisenext we are trying to use but keep switching booked reservations to other lines!

1.  Prices too high (at this point we still travel at popular vacation times) compared to other lines.  Ex#1:  Just switched from a booked ncl Getaway to Princess Regal cruise for a family of 5 for $1800 less.  Same week.  Better cabins and itinerary with Princess too.  Ex#2:  Priced Encore for specific week in 2020, all other lines same week were less expensive except DCL and Celebrity Edge (other Celebrity ships were less expensive).

2.  Encore hull art is horrible.  Entire design of ship seems very strange, so much prominence given to mall type activities on top deck.  Bring back Guy Harvey and ropes courses, please.  

3.  Seems like NCL has not been very "nice" to customers over last few years.  Fine, but it seems like most other lines provide better customer service.  

4.  We still have good memories of cruising Ncl,  so they are still on our radar.  Just not our 1st choice anymore.

5 minutes ago, JaysMom2 said:

I must be the only one on here who likes the hull art! It grew on me after a while.

The more I see it, the more it grows on me to. I remember when Breakaway was unveiled and I thought, OMG, that's crazy looking...  But now I love the hull art of BA...

I think NCL's hull art certainly makes them stand out among other ships in port.

We probably wouldn't sail this one if it wasn't for the price glitch that was on the NCL website a couple weeks ago. They had  family balconies for the four of us with drink promo, specialty  dining, and WiFi for $500 LESS than a basic inside with just the drink package. They corrected that $1500 mistake (raised price) soon after but I pulled my debit card out so fast it was too late for them, I already booked! HAHA! 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rtkenmore said:

Technically, they are swapping deck space. The area that was used for laser tag on Bliss is becoming sun-deck space on Encore...  And the area that was Spice H20 on Bliss, is actually becoming the Galaxy Pavilion with a new deck being built on top of that where the Laser Tag will be located.  In the grand scheme of things, they are actually adding additional square footage to Encore...

Aft lido has always been regarded as prime space for sundeck. Bliss still has at least a small sectioning for this.

6 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

We probably wouldn't sail this one if it wasn't for the price glitch that was on the NCL website a couple weeks ago. They had  family balconies for the four of us with drink promo, specialty  dining, and WiFi for $500 LESS than a basic inside with just the drink package. They corrected that $1500 mistake (raised price) soon after but I pulled my debit card out so fast it was too late for them, I already booked! HAHA! 😄

That's awesome.  

According to the Meyer Werft website the Spectrum of the Seas is leaving the building hall mid February. Then the mega block of the Encore will go back into the hall and "married" with the other one in the hall. Prior to that the second mega block - I´m not sure about the location but usually it sits in front of the new ship - has to leave the building hall and then both blocks go back in again.

steamboats

3 hours ago, steamboats said:

According to the Meyer Werft website the Spectrum of the Seas is leaving the building hall mid February. Then the mega block of the Encore will go back into the hall and "married" with the other one in the hall. Prior to that the second mega block - I´m not sure about the location but usually it sits in front of the new ship - has to leave the building hall and then both blocks go back in again.

steamboats

Is there still a 2nd?  I was thinking the new technique with the elongated basin was that the single exterior mega block will be floated in to meet the bow (which will be moved back to where soectrum’s bow is now), then the aft is built in place.

edit: or by 2nd, are you referring to the bow section?

Edited by TheDougOut

29 minutes ago, TheDougOut said:

Is there still a 2nd?  I was thinking the new technique with the elongated basin was that the single exterior mega block will be floated in to meet the bow (which will be moved back to where soectrum’s bow is now), then the aft is built in place.

edit: or by 2nd, are you referring to the bow section?

Hi Doug, maybe i am wrong but studying the last few ship builds at MW, I think the Encore bow section will stay where it is for a while. Once the Spectrum is floated out, the Encore Mega block (out in the harbour area) gets brought in and joined to the bow section at its current position. MW then continue to build the stern section of the Encore. What that does is leave a space between the Encore stern and the MW dock large door to start another ship mega block construction. Once this next new ship mega block construction is built , it is then floated out to the harbour outside, just where the Encore Mega block is. The semi completed Encore (Bow, Midships and Stern )is then floated back in the basin to be close to the dock door, which leaves a space where the Encore Bow section was to lay down the keel of the next new ship's bow section and so the process repeats. 

Edited by Carderman