Everything... Norwegian ENCORE! Launch Nov 2019

TheDougOut

1 hour ago, TheDougOut said:

It’s possible that Vibe will be released with a $29 or $49pp cover charge, and it’s so perfectly-designed to handle the masses that this will become a big non-issue.

Well, other than the fact that the highly sought-after aft views are never coming back.  

Those prices would be reasonable, but this is NCL.  They may start with a reasonable price but by the 2nd or 3rd sailing they double or triple it.

Outdoor deck space is valuable and NCL felt the need to monetize it.  The additional revenue from the expanded Vibe will come.  People might complain about the crowded pool area, but NCL is not going to see the revenue impact until future bookings on the Encore go down.

I suspect that NCL is trying to cater to a larger audience.  If you want sun, then go on another of its ships or pay for the Vibe.  If you want karts and laser tag, then go on Encore.  

The unknown is whether passengers will substitute NCL ships or substitute cruise lines entirely.  NCL's crystal ball is broken at times ... the Joy was a miss; Alaska routes are a hit.  

1 hour ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

That is another good point.  Vibe is constantly sold out in the first hours.  Expanding it would allow more people to buy passes and filter them away from the public pool deck area and not force more people to it.  However, losing Spice H2O does mean that now those guest have to spend their deck time elsewhere.

I have to wonder what has been happening on the Getaway since the refurb with their expanded Vibe area.  The few reviews I have seen said that Vibe was virtually empty while in the Baltic.  Anyone been on the Getaway recently in the "warmer" weather Europe has been seeing?  If it's Vibe is still running virtually empty even with warmer weather, NCL may actually consider a reasonable daily pass rate to fill it.

I found something interesting while reviewing my Feb 9, 2020 reservation and looking through the activities list, Laser Tag is not anywhere to be found !! Maybe, just maybe, (please, please) they are reading these posts and Spice will make an "encore"!! (couldn't resist that). Could I have missed it in the list??

Anyone else check their reservation and find something different?

1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

I suspect that NCL is trying to cater to a larger audience.  If you want sun, then go on another of its ships or pay for the Vibe.  If you want karts and laser tag, then go on Encore.  

I'll be  curious to see how the NYC to Bermuda cruises shake out next summer. Folks seem to love Escape and I don't think Encore will be as beloved, esp without Spice H20 and its nightly parties. But we'll see. 

41 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

I found something interesting while reviewing my Feb 9, 2020 reservation and looking through the activities list, Laser Tag is not anywhere to be found !! Maybe, just maybe, (please, please) they are reading these posts and Spice will make an "encore"!! (couldn't resist that). Could I have missed it in the list??

I wouldn't get your hopes up.  It's still heavily featured on the Norwegian Encore Overview page on the public site.  Laser Tag is never available for pre-cruise reservations anyway.

59 minutes ago, prbffd28 said:

I’m on that sailing too, but I wouldn’t get your hopes up.  They normally don’t open up any kind of reservations up until 120-130 days out.

Doesn’t the deck plan still show laser tag?

1 hour ago, prbffd28 said:

We're on the December 1st sailing and it doesn't list laser tag as an activity either. Though I wish that was a light of hope for something else rather than laser tag where Spice was on the previous ships, I'm just not too hopeful NCL will revert the space back this late in the game. From the Epic to Escape to Bliss, we've spent every cruise back there enjoying the adult only space. For this cruise, we're crossing fingers to get into Vibe since it's larger on Encore. 

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

I have to wonder what has been happening on the Getaway since the refurb with their expanded Vibe area.  The few reviews I have seen said that Vibe was virtually empty while in the Baltic.  Anyone been on the Getaway recently in the "warmer" weather Europe has been seeing?  If it's Vibe is still running virtually empty even with warmer weather, NCL may actually consider a reasonable daily pass rate to fill it.

Or how about they just leave it as public deck space as originally designed? 

• Like 3

This thread can go on forever.  Nothing can change the already configured "Encore" which was built/designed by people smarter than us. Sorry folks.

As a solo traveler (most of the time), there are only "Studio Cabins" available on the Breakaway Class and + (minus Joy).  I don't want to speak for the entire clientele in the Studios, but I must say that Spice was a great place to hang out away from the kids.  The Grotto (on Escape) was perfect to cool off. With the elimination of that space on new/impending ships to dry dock, well, who knows.

Replacing calm spaces with Laser Tag for an up charge is beyond me.  Let me get this straight...Laser Tag (a game which includes guns and shooting people) overrides basic deck space for the average person.  Hmm.  I kinda get the Go-Karts (for those who want to pay to partake), but I just have a hard time with "Laser Tag" taking space based on today's societies attitude with guns, etc. Nuff said on that and PLEASE this is just JMO!

Vibe: A general advertisement on their website says this:

Found on board Norwegian Bliss, Norwegian Joy, Norwegian Escape, Norwegian Breakaway, and Norwegian Getaway, Vibe Beach Club is one of the cruise line’s hidden gems.  Vibe Beach Club is an all-adult (age 18+), limited access lounging and sunbathing oasis. 

If you search deeper, you may find this:

The private whirlpools offer quiet and deep relaxation away from the hustle and bustle of the crowds. 

Norwegian also limits the number of passes that can be purchased to enter Vibe Beach Club in order to ensure tranquility by never allowing the club to feel overcrowded. There are plenty of cushioned chaise lounges and chairs and a full-service bar for ultimate relaxation.  These first-come first-served passes must be booked through Guest Services once you board, so it’s a good idea to go straight there on embarkation day.

Huh?  How deep do you have to search to find out that it costs $$$ and you pretty much have to be 1st in line and RUN to a destination to obtain these passes?  What about people who aren't on CC and saw the glorious advertisement for the "Vibe"?  Poor saps 😞

It's all good.  There will always be a cabin waiting for me somewhere throughout the cruise industry, and NCL will not miss me and my measly Studio.  LOL! 🙂

We decided several months ago to book Encore to Bermuda next summer. The lack of Spice had me hesitating. Then we decided to go Haven for the first time. At least we will have somewhere to go hang out or get some sun. We liked  Spice on Getaway. I'll be curious to go check things out around the pool and Waterfront. I love the Waterfront and usually walk it after dinner. Hopefully it's not standing room only. We'll see. Either way we'll have fun. It will help me make decisions on future bookings when we aren't going Haven. 

21 hours ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Outdoor deck space is valuable and NCL felt the need to monetize it.  The additional revenue from the expanded Vibe will come.  People might complain about the crowded pool area, but NCL is not going to see the revenue impact until future bookings on the Encore go down.

The unknown is whether passengers will substitute NCL ships or substitute cruise lines entirely.  NCL's crystal ball is broken at times ... the Joy was a miss; Alaska routes are a hit.  

It is catering to those who want to spend money. Like those who would spend $500 on a cabana when Beach loungers and umbrellas are free. They bring the same experience onboard with the spa and vibe. 

We we started cursing when you had to rent a lounger on deck and tip the deck attendants to set it up for you. They were uncomfortable wooden chairs. But people would pay for the loungers daily. Cruise lines have been selling premium deck experiences since the start of cruising. 

I see things a little differently. Yes, the NCL Encore is very fee based.   But the explanation of why all these fees is of course revenue for NCL but the offerings are bait to lure new cruisers with families.  The marketing demo for cruise lines is not us here on cruise critic. They know this crowd already books cruises. They are seeking families who may try cruising and may not care if they ever come back.  Kids don't really want to lay in the sun in spice H20.  They want go carts, laser tag, and 3D games.  The Encore is a floating advertisement.  I remember when Disney added the duck slide around their ships. All the kids on the neighboring ships in port all pointed at that Disney ship and said, I want to go on that ship.

We are not the demo they are marketing to.

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

I see things a little differently. Yes, the NCL Encore is very fee based.   But the explanation of why all these fees is of course revenue for NCL but the offerings are bait to lure new cruisers with families.  The marketing demo for cruise lines is not us here on cruise critic. They know this crowd already books cruises. They are seeking families who may try cruising and may not care if they ever come back.  Kids don't really want to lay in the sun in spice H20.  They want go carts, laser tag, and 3D games.  The Encore is a floating advertisement.  I remember when Disney added the duck slide around their ships. All the kids on the neighboring ships in port all pointed at that Disney ship and said, I want to go on that ship.

Thank you !  Smart comment. In our case, I look for ships that have good camps and plenty of fun for my son. I recently booked on Princess because they revamped their camp with educational activities and fun things. I booked this ship and Bliss in the past because of the addition of activities, amazing camp layout and activities my 8 yr old enjoys as he is into tech. You are correct on Disney, when my son saw the water slide around the ship, he had to go. Now he sees laser tag all futuristic with holograms and he is very excited( so is my husband). I know Escape has the free rope course but some of us are not into those activities and prefer the tech ones. Different strokes for different folks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, david_sobe said:

remember when Breakaway came out, Rope course, minigolf, Basketball Court for kids/teens/grown up and they can play for free ass long es they want. ( open times )

new managment, new way to make money. it ist not only the activities with fees. remember the big vibe you have to pay for. Parents will be happy when their kids play the hole day for extra money.ha ha.

truth is, they want to make more money on board the ships. that´s all.

Edited by Steff79
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, david_sobe said:

Ahhh....DCL.  Disney nailed it a long time ago.  They have everything for the kids and everything for the adults.  They have adult only areas, with no compromise of deck space and what it has to offer.  Is NCL trying to recruit DCL passengers?  If so, their design is a bit cheesy IMHO.

Is NCL having an identity crisis?  Exactly what "crowd" are they trying to draw in with the refurbishing of older ships and the presentation of new ships (Encore)?  I am confused.

Well, I set sail on the Escape in October.  I love that ship.  I do hope they are kind to her in drydock and they do not horrifically deface her during that time.  Please leave her alone. LOL!

Like I said before, there is a market out there for everyone's needs, so onward...

🙂

Lol at all the complaining on this site.

So many of you complaining that there is not enough space to sunbathe.😂

I’m sorry but if your sole purpose to cruise is to sunbathe then cancel your cruise and go on an all inclusive beach hotel holiday where you will have miles if beaches to sunbathe 24/7!

I’m sure so many of you will come back with ‘your a first time cruiser you don’t know what your talking about’ but I don’t care.

Ive read many reviews of long time cruisers and sunbathing is last on their things to do on a cruise.

Many of them go cruising for amazing dining experiences, entertainment,to meet fellow guests, to go on several shore excursions to all the awesome destinations the cruise ship visits 

and they are great for kids.

Also who cares that you have to pay extra for the go karting, the laser tag and the Vibe beach club?

The Encore has cost NCL 900 million, they have to find others to make money from its passengers.