1 day in Shanghai

janet1970

We arrive in Shanghai for 1 day on the 25th of march 2018 from the msc splendia and was wondering if we required a visa as i was have heard different story's can anyone help me and give me the correct information please thanks

kind regards

janet1970, welcome to Cruise Critic.

You likely will get some advice here but you may also want to post this on the Asia Ports Of Call Board.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=70

I think it would also be helpful if you noted on your post what country your passport is from as that might have an impact on the answer.

Keith

We arrive in Shanghai for 1 day on the 25th of march 2018 from the msc splendia and was wondering if we required a visa as i was have heard different story's can anyone help me and give me the correct information please thanks

kind regards

Are you sure you have the correct dates? It appears that the Splendida is in Abu Dhabi on 25 March 2018.

Regardless of the date, with a UK passport you may or may not qualify for the 144-hour transit visa waiver. This waiver requires that the country you come from right before entering China and the country you next arrive at after leaving China be different countries or regions of China (Taiwan and Hong Kong are considered different regions.)

For example, coming from Nagasaki, Japan right before arriving in Shanghai and then going to the next port of Keelung, Taiwan would qualify for the transit visa waiver. However, coming from Nagasaki, Japan to Shanghai and then going to the next port of Okinawa, Japan would not qualify for the waiver since the transit is from and back to the same country.

The following link contains more details regarding the 144-hour transit visa waiver:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/free-transit-144hour.htm

In addition, there is a 15-day visa-free policy for cruise tour groups so long as your tour is with a qualified tour agency:

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/cityguides/shanghai/15days-visa-free.htm

Edited by NantahalaCruiser

Most of the EU (and US, total of 80 countries) does not require a visa for Shanghai IF you are arriving from one country, then departing to a different country. You get the visa at the airport, with proof of onward travel. It is good for 72 or 144 hours (changing) and limited to the Shanghai area (you can do a day trip to Beijing). There is also a 24 hour transit visa, but you cannot leave the airport area.

If you say fly in from Japan (last flight departs Japan), and you are boarding a cruise, where the first stop is Japan, you are NOT eligible for the airport visa. If you fly in from the UK, and the cruise goes to Japan, you are fine. But last country of departure into China and first point leaving China have to be different countries.

Be advised, that it can be a fairly long line for the airport visa, so getting a visa ahead of time can be smart.

I did an airport visa in December in Shanghai. Wait was about an hour. But I had no choice, as it was a last minute change in flights, due to a schedule change.

I did a day at Shanghai Disney. :D

I would double check (if you Google China Transit Visa you will get sites) that Hong Kong counts. I think it does, but technically it is part of China, so if you went from Japan to Hong Kong to Shanghai, might be an issue.

I would double check (if you Google China Transit Visa you will get sites) that Hong Kong counts. I think it does, but technically it is part of China, so if you went from Japan to Hong Kong to Shanghai, might be an issue.

The actual wording of the transit visa waiver is from one country or region (meaning Taiwan, Hong Kong or Macau) to China to a different country or region.

You are allowed to come and go to Hong Kong from anywhere to any where - including from and to the same country. So in your scenario: Japan to Hong Kong to Shanghai, the Japan to Hong Kong portion has no bearing on the transit visa. What would have a bearing is where would you be going after the Hong Kong to Shanghai to ?. If I am reading the wording correctly, Hong Kong to Shanghai to Hong Kong would not qualify but Hong Kong to Shanghai to any other country or Taiwan or Macau would qualify.