Snap fare? Next promo? or book now?

badtwin

We are new to Holland America and have only cruised 5 or 6 times. We have been watching an HA cruise for almost a year, waiting for a price we find attractive while getting nervous the cruise will fill up. We want a balcony. Explore 4 and the View and Verandah sales have not helped the pricing. Two questions. Is it ever worth it to call on the snap fares? Big savings or just a token or is it just a chance for them to give a hard sell sales pitch? And does anyone know the next promotion after the V&V ends?

We are watching several discount sites and trying all the tricks we know. Just wondered about HA strategy in particular.

I did my first Snap Fare this upcoming cruise and it worked out fine. I ended up with a very good price which never went lower. HOWEVER, you really have to know your pricing to pull this off (IMO). The fare I got was very low for the category, based on my past experience for this specific cruise (7 day Caribbean).

Of course, I looked at the net cost (fare minus promotions) and felt comfortable that HAL was offering a good deal. PLUS, I booked just before final payment date, so I would have been locked into the non-Snap fare anyway (more or less - I know sometimes HAL will give up some OBC or upgrades if after Final on fare drops).

In general though, I do not do a snap fare, as I often rebook my cruise at least once after the original booking, as I see a better offer overall.

I have a snap fare on a cruise in March. Having never sailed HAL, I had no idea what I was being offered and how it all worked. I have a great stern end verandah and got $200 off each passenger....but truthfully, the person on Hal booking never explained what it was all about...and the limitations....such as no benefits offered or possible, no refundable deposits etc. So if you are really diligent looking for price drops and benefit packages Exp. 4 etc, I wouldn't take a snap fare esp . if you are booking 6 or 7 months out.

To the OP: You have the option of booking without the promo. Call HAL and they can give you all the pricing. I find the PCC at HAL helpful

In our cruise shopping, we always transfer the booking to the large big box TA based in Seattle for extra OBC. We're looking at a cruise for Christmas this year and according to their website, the pricing is the same with or without View and Veranda.

As I mentioned early, Snap, non-refundable deposit fares needed to be considered carefully, unless you are right near or past Final Payment.

Example - last Friday I rebooked my Dec cruise and saved about $250 pp. I looked again today and noticed another price drop - saved another $70 pp. You cannot do that with a Snap fare booking.

Thanks everyone. We have always booked on our own based mostly on price per day and eyed the OBC offers of the various sites that shall not be named with skepticism. I guess they aren't too good to be true and I need to be doing the math to figure how such benefits would offset tips and our wine packages.

I've never encountered a hard sell sales pitch. The fares are what they are.. with all their possible variables... sometimes with non-refundable deposits, sometimes with drinks packages, sometimes with OBC, sometimes with potential for lower fares before final payments. Ask all the questions before you book any fare: what are the restrictions?

If Explore 4 is part of a fare offered, ask what the fare is without it, then figure out if that is an advantage for you compared with your estimated drinks costs... wouldn't be worth it to us unless it were totally free as we don't buy specialty coffees, soda or liquor drinks, and we get the wine packages by the bottles.

Big box TAs can be better than what the HAL PCC can offer, but not always. If you book through a PCC you can transfer your booking to a TA with better perks if it's before final payment (or penalty period which sometimes comes before final payment on long itineraries, so be careful and ask).

Looks like you are doing your homework! Happy planning! m--

• 1 month later...
I do agree...

We are looking FAR in advance, and no way am I paying, in full, non-refundable...

WHAT are they thinking????

I just have no idea how any SNAP fares work...

They are last-minute???

They are not necessarily last minute fares - some go out a year or more.

Some of these fares are non-refundable deposits, but others are non-refundable payments in full at time of booking. With the latter I would definitely purchase the cancellation insurance.

While these fares can be very attractive, you REALLY must do your homework and KNOW the ins and outs of what you are buying and what is a "good" fare.