Bow access for a marriage proposal

JohnBergless

I’d definitely have a Plan B in place. I’d also ONLY consider going out on the bow when the ship is stationary. When it’s moving, it’s so incredibly windy that your girlfriend is going to have trouble hearing you, and her hair is going to be blowing straight up from the top of her head or wrapping around her face, or both. She isn’t going to want a selfy with her eyes squinted closed against the wind and her hair standing on end. !

THIS! It is so windy out there when the ship is moving! I suspect your girlfriend would much prefer somewhere quiet and intimate at a time when she looks her best, and she can look at the photos later and feel all warm and loving, not like she wants to bean you over the head for picking a moment when she was eating her hair and squinting into the wind and sun. It's a high-wind helipad or crew deck with lots of safety gear, not a romantic spot.

I know Carnival Dream, Magic and Breeze all have at least three decks with open access to the bow. Others may but I have no personal knowledge.

They are public decks so privacy wouldn't be guaranteed.

The wake view from the back is gorgeous and much less windy.

Thank you for posting....I was wondering about the Magic...I Love going to the bow of the ship!

A year ago at Christmas I happened to notice that sunlight was streaming into out stateroom when we should have been on the shady side of the ship. Since we had spent a day on the island-bound leg searching for a poor woman who had gone overboard I immediately assumed the worse. No, it was just that a wedding was being performed on the forward deck and the Captain had ordered a change in course to put the wind at the ship's stern for half an hour to keep the wedding party out of the wind.

The moral is, many things are possible if your request goes through the proper channels to the proper recipient. But weddings are paid events where a proposal is necessarily intended to come off appearing like a spur of the moment thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, to update everyone, I've decided to nix the idea based on some of your comments. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to "do it" privately at sunset the evening before we embark. One glimmer of hope - I did reach out to my reservations person and they actually forwarded my request directly to the Guest Services director who is onboard the boat! She responded saying to be sure to specifically ask for her when we get on board! I thought that was very cool. Hopefully she will hook us up in some form or fashion !!

• 7 months later...
I'm sure this has been discussed before. Are there any real, legitimate stories here about marriage proposals which took place on the bow of a cruise ship? I am extremely interested in this. This being my first real inquiry, I'm sure it's generally not allowed, and it is a crew-only area. However - rules were made to be broken and there's usually a way to make anything happen, in my experience.

- Can this be ever done while underway? Does it matter what waters you're in or what flag the ship is flying?

- Can I "tip" someone onboard to make this happen?

- Many ships have webcams on the bow. Could this be done out of sight of the webcam so nobody sees anything?

- Worst case I would even consider doing it while at the dock. Does that make it any easier?

This is serious. I'm not looking to hang over the bow like Leonardo DeCaprio and Kate did. All I need is to be taken out to the bow, with someone who can take a video of it using my phone. 10 minutes tops. I kneel down, ask her, give her the ring, hug & kiss.... then we're done. End of story. Don't tell me this can't happen.. somehow.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Contact the cruise director. Carnival (and most cruise lines) go WAY above and beyond for proposals and weddings. i'm currently trying to come up with ideas for my proposal. but the cruise director may be able to make it happen.

Depending on ship and cruise line, access is occasionally allowed. So it may be possible in port. But certainly doubt it while underway. It is just too windy.

The only ships that allowed it on any of our cruises were all Celebrity ships. We were allowed access during our Panama Canal transit on Celebrity Infinity, but only at the locks. We were also allowed access during our sail away from Stockholm, Sweden on our Baltic Seas cruise on Celebrity Constellation. And also our night time sail away from Kusadasi, Turkey on our Mediterranean cruise on Celebrity Reflection.

None of our other cruises allowed access that I am aware of.

ENTERING MIRAFLORES LOCKS

CIMG0884.JPG

LEAVING STOCKHOLM

Leaving%20Stockholm.JPG

NIGHT TIME DEPARTURE FROM KUSADASI, TURKEY

Refelction%20departure%20Kusadasi.JPG

Well, to update everyone, I've decided to nix the idea based on some of your comments. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to "do it" privately at sunset the evening before we embark. One glimmer of hope - I did reach out to my reservations person and they actually forwarded my request directly to the Guest Services director who is onboard the boat! She responded saying to be sure to specifically ask for her when we get on board! I thought that was very cool. Hopefully she will hook us up in some form or fashion !!

Not sure if this is something you might want to consider, but if your cruise line still participates in formal night, with places around the ship where you can have your photo taken by a ship photographer in front of attractive backdrops, all while dressed up for the night, your girlfriend may be completely surprised if you drop on your knee and propose then. It won't be private, but you would have a professional photographer right there to record the special moment.

I think the OP has probably sorted his proposal strategy by now. His last post was in March, and his last visit to the boards was in April. Hopefully she said yes, wherever the question was popped.

Depending, of course, on how far over the top his staging was, the response might have been “are you nuts?”.

I think the OP has probably sorted his proposal strategy by now. His last post was in March, and his last visit to the boards was in April. Hopefully she said yes, wherever the question was popped.

Arrrggg!!! Another old post I got snookered into responding to. I really gotta start looking at the posting dates more closely!! :eek:

I hope everything worked out well for the OP. :)

Another ho came here, asked foere uorhelp and never took moment to let us know if SShe said yes and where he finally ;roposed.

There might b e a nother Romeo reading who would like to know if the couel got to use the bow of ghe ship. Corny as it really sounds. :D

"LIKE she wouldn't know immediately he is going to pprose the moment she learns tey are going to the bow,,,,,,,,,,,, that is how Corny over done it is

Edited by sail7seas