Which is better for itinerary? Belize City or Puerto Costa Maya

Mahahual....but close enough. ;)

Good friend and expat from Texas runs Tropicante there. Always a good time. :D

Agree short bus ride to Mahahua. We took the local bus up top Mahahua and a taxi back to the port. Did you ever go Fernando's 100% Agave? Great atmosphere and drinks. It was one block from the beach with his liquor store next door. Bummer that the original Fernando's is no longer. I've read on CC in the past that Fernando is now working in a bar/restaurant in a resort right on the beach in Mahahual. We'll be in Costa Maya on 27 March.

Agree short bus ride to Mahahua. We took the local bus up top Mahahua and a taxi back to the port. Did you ever go Fernando's 100% Agave? Great atmosphere and drinks. It was one block from the beach with his liquor store next door. Bummer that the original Fernando's is no longer. I've read on CC in the past that Fernando is now working in a bar/restaurant in a resort right on the beach in Mahahual. We'll be in Costa Maya on 27 March.

No, haven't been there. Sounds interesting though. We have been to Costa Maya many times, and have always taken a taxi (outside the gates) to Steve's Tropicante each time. I email him in advance and he reserves two loungers on the beach with an umbrella for us. (No charge). Home made margaritas and excellent nachos, ceviche, etc. at very little charge. Only problem is the constantly annoying walking "beach vendors" which seem to be getting worse.

We are going again in a week, but are going to try Maya Chan this time. We have my sister and her new husband with us. I think she will like that atmosphere better, and I have heard many good things about it.

We love Belize! We have been there twice. We did a snorkel and island tour to Caye Caulker. Definitely one of the best excursions we have ever done!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Happy you had a good tour there. We did that one and were no so lucky. :(

Could not use our swim fins (something about the wildlife rules in that spot) with very fast current where we were anchored up. Tough to swim, then got bit on my finger by a nurse shark (yes they do have small teeth :o) and bled all over the place. Then it rained buckets the rest of the day, and no place to take cover in the open boat. Was not a good time.

Mahahual....but close enough. ;)

Good friend and expat from Texas runs Tropicante there. Always a good time. :D

I went to Tropicante bc of the review and I didnt like it. After we explored the beach I moved to a place that the name lobster is included on it , that place had music and was more active and crowed. The crazy lobster I just remembered the name.

Home made margaritas and excellent nachos, ceviche, etc. at very little charge. .

Tropicante is not really cheap - from his website

is this redlobster on consta maya ??? lol

Bowl of Soup Shrimp $9

Rings Beer battered onions rings deep fried golden brown. Served w/ chipotle ranch dip _ $8

How long is the bus ride? I don't usually book those tours due to the long

bus rides which take up most of the day sometimes.

It's a full day... 2 hours bus each way. We had a nap on the way back which was perfect for evening activities on board :)

It's a full day... 2 hours bus each way. We had a nap on the way back which was perfect for evening activities on board :)

Four hours on a bus in one day...that would be too long for me, but probably OK for others. Thanks for the info! :)

Tropicante is not really cheap - from his website

is this redlobster on consta maya ??? lol

Bowl of Soup Shrimp$9

Rings Beer battered onions rings deep fried golden brown. Served w/ chipotle ranch dip _ $8

No idea what you are talking about

redlobster on consta maya? :confused::o Never heard of either of them or the menu you just listed.

Have been to both ports many times. Belize is safe outside the "gated" area if you want to just go for a walk. Huge market of locals selling their stuff, they can be a little pushy, but if you politely tell them no they back away. I find that interesting, love to talk to the locals.Last trip went to Caye Caulker - taxi each way was reasonable. Nice beach, walked to small shops, snorkeled (take own gear) I happen to like the ship to shore transfer, it was not closed in but could be in a storm. Could sit inside or out.

Have been to ruins in Costa Maya, so just did a private resort last time. They took me(alone) to a table with two other couples from the ship, we had a great time. Swim, eat eat eat and drink drink drink....

Drinks were not strong, a little watered,beach, private pool, hot tub, kids area - lots of taxi to take you to port when you are ready, they just fill a cab you and anyone else riding.

Do not like long day at ruins, prefer to stay closer to port.

Junk to buy everywhere if you want if you want it.

I love asking locals about their life and talking to them, but do not keep them from making a sale with other customers...

you can make up your mind once on shore, there is always someone will take you where ever, but if not a ship trip beware of time.

I sometimes just ask a local taxi to take me a short ride - usually they are very informative and love their small area. I love to see how the "real" locals live.

I was really surprised this last December in the little port area of Costa Maya how they have added so much! :eek: Lots of shops, bars, restaurants, etc. now. Actually quite the maze they feed you through if you are simply trying to get out the back through the gates.