Deluxe drinks package from Miami

Smurf2017

We will be leaving for Caribbean cruise from Miami and have the deluxe drinks package.

I understand that until we are in international waters, we will have to pay 7% sales tax on any drinks. I don't have a problem with that, but was wondering how they handled drinks from the mini bar. I'm guessing that no tax will be due as the mini bar will not be restocked until the ship is outside the taxation zone. Is that correct?

We will be leaving for Caribbean cruise from Miami and have the deluxe drinks package.

I understand that until we are in international waters, we will have to pay 7% sales tax on any drinks. I don't have a problem with that, but was wondering how they handled drinks from the mini bar. I'm guessing that no tax will be due as the mini bar will not be restocked until the ship is outside the taxation zone. Is that correct?

I would guess simply for ease they probably restock the minibar in the evening when they do the evening cleaning service and in the morning when they clean. That should mean they just run through the paperwork at the end of service which would be after the ship is in international waters. Of course I'm just guessing, but that would be the easiest thing for all concerned. Even if they do charge tax it should be less than seventy-five cents for one of those tiny liquor bottles anyways so no biggie deal.

If you have a drink package why would you be paying a tax?

When I cruised on the Vista out of Miami...I had the Cheer's (all inclusive) package.....and we were charged tax on all drinks until we hit International waters. Carnival gives you a slip for each drink ordered even with a package...and on embarkation day tax was included on each slip.

When I cruised on the Vista out of Miami...I had the Cheer's (all inclusive) package.....and we were charged tax on all drinks until we hit International waters. Carnival gives you a slip for each drink ordered even with a package...and on embarkation day tax was included on each slip.

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of that. We’ve had all inclusive beverage packages on Costa and Royal Caribbean, and we were never charged any taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s the first I’ve ever heard of that. We’ve had all inclusive beverage packages on Costa and Royal Caribbean, and we were never charged any taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the drink package on our last cruise on the NCL Escape and we had to pay taxes on drinks in Miami as well.:hearteyes:

I have read some lines will ring up the drink purchases once at sea....thus no sales tax charged. Some cruiselines (like my Carnival cruise this past November)....swipe your card into their system with each drink order (even if you have an unlimited drink package) so its a "real time" transaction...Therefore the reason tax is charged while still at port. I recall a few years back...the bartender wasn't interested in swiping my card once he saw the "cheers" sticker....he just gave me my order. So in this case...no tax would have been charged on embarkation day.