Sydney Airport Link questions

That is definitely wrong, anyone can buy them, just don't expect the seniors version of the card.:D

yes Mic anyone can buy one but if pensioners and seniors want to get the concession rates they have to buy them online or ring Opal and they send it out by post

I’m the OP. The talk about pies has me interested. I’ll start another thread about don’t miss food for 3 days in Sydney. We’ll be there in 3 weeks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Oops - no matter, I see the pie thread now. :)

As mentioned there is a lot of discussion about things that are not pies in that thread but it may provide some tidbits of information on what to eat.

Generally, if you want to try something really Aussie (and not coming from another culture), it is in the shape of meat including kangaroo, emu, crocodile, witchety grubs and barramundi to name a few.

Hello,

We are making our first trip to Australia and New Zealand in about a month. We plan to use the train to get from the Airport to Museum station on arrival and Circular Quay to the airport on return. The Opal Card website is more confusing than helpful on this subject, and the Link website is some better, and now I turn to the experts!

Does the $18.50 fare shown on the Airport Link website include the access fee mentioned on the Opal Card website?

What is the best way to buy Opal cards at the airport?

Does anyone have any suggestions to make the Ship to Circular Quay Station to Airport process more efficient? That will, unfortunately, be early on a Thursday morning. And I don’t want to get us lost, confused, or all turned around.

Thank you all!

If there are only two of you, you might like to consider an airport shuttle transfer. It is only $15 per person from airport to hotel, and $15 per person from ship to airport. So cheaper, and much more convenient with luggage in tow. We used Jim's shuttle service just last month.

If there are only two of you, you might like to consider an airport shuttle transfer. It is only $15 per person from airport to hotel, and $15 per person from ship to airport. So cheaper, and much more convenient with luggage in tow. We used Jim's shuttle service just last month.

ready2go shuttle charges $22 pp to the city and they show you the sights of Sydney so their not cheap

ready2go shuttle charges $22 pp to the city and they show you the sights of Sydney so their not cheap

Used Redy last week to transfer from airport to OPT. $22 each, saw sign at airport I thought it was good value rather than dragging luggage from train to OPT.

Hello,

We are making our first trip to Australia and New Zealand in about a month. We plan to use the train to get from the Airport to Museum station on arrival and Circular Quay to the airport on return. The Opal Card website is more confusing than helpful on this subject, and the Link website is some better, and now I turn to the experts!

Are the Airport Link trains different trains than the regular public transport trains?

Does the $18.50 fare shown on the Airport Link website include the access fee mentioned on the Opal Card website?

What is the best way to buy Opal cards at the airport?

Does anyone have any suggestions to make the Ship to Circular Quay Station to Airport process more efficient? That will, unfortunately, be early on a Thursday morning. And I don’t want to get us lost, confused, or all turned around.

Thank you all!

Hi Live4cruises

We are fellow Americans and made this exact trip last year. Thanks to all the good folks here, who have already provided you with great info, we made the train with no problem.

Depending on what time you arrive at SYD (it is likely to be early and still rush hour, but maybe not), I would recommend taking the train. It is very easy. Once you clear Australian customs/immigration (very fast, and there are lots of machines in the hallway past the gate where you get off the plane. That will make more sense after you've done it :D). Walk out into the airport terminal, past all the duty-free shops, and go to WH Smith--they sell Opal cards (I am assuming you will do more travel on trains or ferries during your stay.) If not, walk to the end of the terminal where signs are posted for the train. There are elevators (oops, sorry lifts!) that you can take to the train platform. If you don't already have an Opal card, you can buy tickets here.

Then wait for the train into Sydney. If it is rush hour, try to board the last car and stand in the vestibule with your luggage, you will only be on the train for 5 or 6 stops! Exit the train at Museum Station; there are lifts there to accomodate you and luggage. We fit 4 people, 1 large bag and a backpack each on the lift. You will need to take 2 lifts. The first is at one end of the platform, keep an eye out for it. That will take you to the ticketing level. Then you will need to exit thru the turnstiles, turn a bit to the left and take the elev.., uh I mean, lift, to the street level. That puts you at the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool. From there you can walk to your apartment.

OPT is at the Circular Quay stop and is 2 or 3 stops from Museum. There are lifts there as well and when you get off the train, you will see the waterside and probably your ship at OPT. Piece of cake to walk over and drop your bags off!

We found the train easy to do and quick. At rush hour overground, you can spend a lot of time waiting in traffic. And we liked getting to walk a bit after a 15 hour flight :D.

One other note. If it is going to be warm (it was last March when we arrived), you might consider changing clothes before you get on the train. I changed from jeans to shorts when we got to the airport because it was hot and humid (and a chance of rain) the day we arrived. It made walking around a lot more pleasant.

Good luck. You will love Australia and using the trains/ferries is very easy!

ML