Sydney Airport Link questions

Hello,

We are making our first trip to Australia and New Zealand in about a month. We plan to use the train to get from the Airport to Museum station on arrival and Circular Quay to the airport on return. The Opal Card website is more confusing than helpful on this subject, and the Link website is some better, and now I turn to the experts!

Are the Airport Link trains different trains than the regular public transport trains?

Does the $18.50 fare shown on the Airport Link website include the access fee mentioned on the Opal Card website?

What is the best way to buy Opal cards at the airport?

Does anyone have any suggestions to make the Ship to Circular Quay Station to Airport process more efficient? That will, unfortunately, be early on a Thursday morning. And I don’t want to get us lost, confused, or all turned around.

Thank you all!

b

Hello,

We are making our first trip to Australia and New Zealand in about a month. We plan to use the train to get from the Airport to Museum station on arrival and Circular Quay to the airport on return. The Opal Card website is more confusing than helpful on this subject, and the Link website is some better, and now I turn to the experts!

Are the Airport Link trains different trains than the regular public transport trains?

No

Does the $18.50 fare shown on the Airport Link website include the access fee mentioned on the Opal Card website?

Yes

What is the best way to buy Opal cards at the airport?

Follow the signs down to the Trains. At the entrance to the train station buy your Opal Card.

Does anyone have any suggestions to make the Ship to Circular Quay Station to Airport process more efficient? That will, unfortunately, be early on a Thursday morning. And I don’t want to get us lost, confused, or all turned around.

If your ship will be berthed at OPT at Circular Quay, it will be a short flat walk to Circular Quay Station.

Thank you all!

Hope this helps.

I am a senior and regularly travel to and fro the airport, by train, with luggage. (Use the lifts)

The airport link trains are just the normal trains that happen to go thru the Domestic and International stations and the $18 50 includes the entrance to the airport.

From Circular Quay station, it is an easy 5 minute stroll to the Overseas Passenger Terminal.

After arriving by plane follow the signs to the trains. There is a ticket booth to purchase an Opal card just before you enter the station platforms. There is a choice of lifts, escalators and stairs to get from the airport terminal to the platform.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Why are you getting off at Museum?

Is that where your accomodation is?

The train is very easy and as Melba51 mentioned, there is a ticket booth at the train station, follow the signs to the train, go down one escalator and you will see the ticket counter. They will explain everything to you and recommend how much to add to your opal card etc

I’m happy to be corrected but I don’t think you need to buy an opal card, you can just buy a one way ticket. That’s what we usually do.

If you will be using the trains for other trips during your stay you will probably get use/value out of an opal card. But for a trip to your pre-cruise accommodation and then the trip from the OPT to the airport just buy a one way paper ticket.

As others have said just follow the signs at the airport to the trains, it’s very easy.

Do you have to use an Opel card or can you pay in cash/card? Will the MIKI (Victoria) card work? If so, is it cheaper if you use an Opel card?

Unfortunately you can't use Myki cards in Sydney, just as you can't use Opal cards in Melbourne. :(

Do you have to use an Opel card or can you pay in cash/card? Will the MIKI (Victoria) card work? If so, is it cheaper if you use an Opel card?

As has been said, MyKi does not work outside Victoria.

However, if you have a Victorian Seniors Card (or any other state), you can apply for a temporary Opal card. This gives the concession rates on all Sydney transports. Capped at $2.50 per day.

https://www.opal.com.au/en/about-opal/opal_for_interstate_seniors/

However, if you have a Victorian Seniors Card (or any other state), you can apply for a temporary Opal card. This gives the concession rates on all Sydney transports. Capped at $2.50 per day.

$2.50 concession fare does not apply to the airport stations. The fare is less than $18.50 though.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

It is cheaper.

If you are a Victorian Seniors Card holder, your Opal card will last for 60 days.

I’m happy to be corrected but I don’t think you need to buy an opal card, you can just buy a one way ticket. That’s what we usually do.

If you will be using the trains for other trips during your stay you will probably get use/value out of an opal card. But for a trip to your pre-cruise accommodation and then the trip from the OPT to the airport just buy a one way paper ticket.

As others have said just follow the signs at the airport to the trains, it’s very easy.

Assuming OP is staying in Sydney for a few days and may be using other buses, trains and/or ferries. In that case much more convenient!

OP is visiting Australia (&NZ) for the first time, so info about Vic Seniors card will not be relevant. Of course it may be useful to others but off topic nonetheless ;p

But Ozy71, who asked the question about Myki, is from Victoria.

And hijacked the thread.

Easy to start a new one so this one doesn’t end up 10 pages long with no relevance to the OP’s question. Just sayin’!;)

I don't regard a valid question about the Opal card as hijacking. It is relevant to many people, other than the OP, who may also read this thread.

Anyway since when was the Aus/NZ forum worried about hijacking? Some of our best threads have been hijacked right, left and centre.

But that only applies to NSW seniors, most visitors wouldn't be eligible for that concession unfortunately.

going by the link on #9 interstate seniors and pensioners have to apply online but it only lasts for 60 days