Rockin & Rollin Eastern Caribbean on Magic 1.27.18

Hogladyrider

Just back from our 7-day eastern cruise on Magic which we booked last January while on the Magic doing western.

We were scheduled to visit Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk on this cruise. The only port that would be new to us is Amber Cove. We had decided that we would just visit the pool in port rather than take an excursion, BUT mother nature wound up having other plans for this port.

Little bit about us, we are retired, mid 60’s, we are Florida residents. When we were working cruising was our “escape” from corporate America! We love to cruise, this was cruise 21 and counting. Next cruise is on Vista 3.10.18 out of Miami. After that we are booked on 14-day Journeys cruise on Breeze in 11.3.18.

We enjoy the cove balcony rooms to escape the crowds, and the closeness to the water and breezes with no glass on the balcony.

We use Park N Cruise when we sail out of Port Canaveral. $85 for a 7-day cruise and excellent door to door service to the port and back to your waiting vehicle. Easy on and off 528 and no hassles with all the traffic at the port.

We arrived for our scheduled boarding time and we were thru VIP Boarding PDQ and on the ship and our room was ready. We had selected room 2334 which we had sailed in last year on Magic as it is near the mid ship elevators (only 2 flights up to the all important coffee bar for morning coffee) and right next to an empty space that is used for storage so only neighbors on one side.

We dropped off our carryon, which contained our two bottles of wine. Before we left our room we called and requested the following: our balcony needed cleaning, it was filthy, the water pressure in our bathroom sink was almost non-existent and one bathrobe was requested, as I had purchased a single spa pass for the week.

We headed up to Lido for our customary lunch at Guy’s Burgers, then we headed up to the spa for the tour so I could purchase a weekly pass for the thalasso pool, heated loungers, and steam rooms.

We were all unpacked by 2:25 pm. We still had not met our room steward by sail away, seems that the “new” plan is that they are out of sight most of the time. Not like the past where they made it a point to introduce themselves and remember your name etc etc. We were never asked if we wanted once or twice daily service. Not sure how I feel about this new change but it is what it is. We had brought along a soft sided Carnival cooler to keep ice in and most days the ice was replenished however a couple of days we had to leave a note requesting ice. The water flow in the bathroom sink was fixed, the bathrobe was delivered after we hunted another housekeeping staff member down in the hallway and the balcony was never cleaned all week.

Anyone remember when Carnival would deliver a letter to your cabin informing you of balcony cleaning and or other cleaning so be prepared for water and/or close your curtains. Did not happen this cruise and one day we were sitting on our balcony and got soaked from crew washing the lifeboats above! We retreated back into the cabin, so much for customer service!

We opted for dinner at the Lido buffet, selection is plentiful, but food could definitely be much hotter! Not sure why it is not, it is barely warm. Ship was definitely rockin the most we have ever experienced except for one cruise during a hurricane. After dinner it was a relaxing evening of karaoke……..

To be continued……..

Sunday - 1.28.18 Room service was right on time 7 am!

The seas seemed to have calmed just a bit and the sun was out but boy was it windy!

We are both using the Carnival HUB app and we liked it, came in handy to keep in touch and it is like having the Fun Times on your phone plus you can check your sign & sail account. I would encourage everyone to check their sign & sail account like you would check your bank account at home.

I was checking our sign & sail accounts Sunday morning and noticed that it appeared that we had been charged TWICE for the $139 single weekly spa pkg. So off to guest services I went to inquire, they confirmed, yes we had in fact been double billed and we had to get it straightened out at the Spa not at guest services. Now this was a learning curve as I thought guest services was the lead. So off I went to the Spa and they very quickly verified that yes we had been double charged and they issued the $139 credit immediately.

We stayed out of our cabin waiting for it to be made up and it was 1 pm before it was completed. We moved about the ship and listened to the Captain tell us that there were 15-18’ seas enroute to Amber Cove so the decision had been made to take a different route altogether which meant we would not be stopping in Amber Cove on Monday but we would have another sea day.

I spent Sunday afternoon relaxing up in the spa.

Sunday evening was the 1st Elegant Night and we opted to visit the Red Frog Pub people watching and enjoying some appetizers; coconut shrimp and grouper fingers along with cold beer! John Heald walked by, someone shouted out to him and he turned around and graciously said “hi” to the gal who had shouted out his name! As an addition to our sea day on Monday John Heald did a Q & A in the Show Time Lounge that was funny and very interesting.

Sunday evening we spent in the Punchliners Comedy Club where we saw two very funny comedians: Nery Saenz and Just June. We stayed for 3 shows. Lloyd the Comedy Club manager does not clear the club after each show unlike other ships we have sailed on. By now the Magic was rockin & rollin from the wind and ocean and it was very evident in the aft comedy club lounge. Needless to say all the “barf” bag holders were full everywhere for those who might be in need!

As a footnote, Lloyd, the Comedy Club manager informed the guest that the previous weeks Magic cruise has missed their last port as well due to high seas and winds and the crew had not been off the ship in a week and they were more than ready for a break as well.

Monday - 1.29.18 Room service was right on time again, we are at 100%, I like it!

Seas were high 12’ and Captain announced winds were at 35 mph - it was even too windy to sit out on our balcony. I did get some great shots of the ship breaking thru the swells! I just have to figure out how to post pics here on the boards.

We were 700 miles from Port Canaveral and had 400 miles to go to reach St. Thomas on Tuesday!

Monday was pretty much a relaxation day for us, many areas of the ship were closed off due to high winds. Pig N Anchor was open for lunch; then it was off to attend the Q&A with John Heald before returning to the Red Frog Pub for an added karaoke event - which we were not able to attend because Red Frog was way over its capacity limit with cruisers and the line was out the door! Dinner was up at Lido buffet, we’ve yet to eat in the dining room for our “anytime dining”. We attended the 10 pm adult show in the Punchliner Comedy Club with Just June - she is beyond FUNNY!

Footnote - the live entertainment throughout the ship was very entertaining and some of the best we have experienced.

Up next.....St. Thomas!

Tuesday 1.30.18 St. Thomas!

Ship was still rockin and rollin however the sun was out and the winds had died down some we were hopeful for some warmer weather and looks like we are going to get a beautiful day!

We were scheduled to arrive at 11 am so we spent the morning chilling in our room and enjoying our room service on the balcony, Room service has been right on time every morning, good sign for sure! Note that we are both serious coffee drinkers and we learned long ago that the coffee Carnival serves is to be avoided. For us it is like drinking colored water and not hot. So each morning one of us treks up to the Coffee Bar for two large Cafe Americanos to have with our room service breakfast. Worth the effort in our opinion and we fill up a minimum of 2 coffee cards plus on each 7-day cruise. The Coffee Bar, IMO, is one of Carnival’s treasures that does not receive it’s due advertising from Carnival especially in the post cruise surveys they send out.

We enjoyed the views as we arrived in St. Thomas. I took advantage of the quiet morning to go up to Guest Services to apply additional gift cards to our Sign & Sail accounts.

We have been to St. Thomas many times and the past two visits we have visited Secret Harbor and that was our plan for today. We had read online that they were open having just had electricity restored a few weeks prior. We were anxious to see the island post hurricane.

Since this was our 1st port stop since departing Port Canaveral on Saturday and the 1st port stop for the Carnival crew since the previous week’s western trip. So it goes without saying that departing the ship was an absolute madhouse!

Once we were off the ship we walked thru the port area shops towards the public transportation area and we were blessed to arrive before the mass crowds.

$10 pp one way was the fare to Secret Harbor, which was the first stop!

There was a lot of storm damage very evident along the taxi ride. We saw a church that had lost one entire side of its building and was wide open to the elements. There were a lot of blue tarps on roofs and boarded up windows. Most appeared to be on homes in the lower lying areas whereas the homes up on the side of the mountains appeared to weather the storm unscathed. We couldn’t help but notice that it seemed like the poorer homes sustained the most damage and were still in need of major repair. We wondered if insurance was a factor in repairs or was it just a case of money to fund the repairs. It was pretty sad and eye opening for sure.

We arrived at Secret Harbor, we opted to rent to loungers this trip ILO just sitting on our towels. Loungers were $10 each with a $5 cash refundable deposit. Umbrellas were also available for rent but we passed. We had brought along our own snorkel gear and we were anxious to get into the water.

The “secret” must be out about Secret Harbor, because there were more cruise passengers here this trip than any previous trip. Probably more cruise passengers than registered guests! We found Secret Harbor thanks to Cruise Critic Boards!

There was beach bar service, provided by an employee, who relocated 3 years ago to St. Thomas from Oklahoma!

We got our snorkel gear out and headed for the water, it was cool at first but once in very pleasant. The visibility was not as clear mostly due to the winds. It is still like swimming in an aquarium and we enjoyed our snorkel time.

Temperature for the day climbed to 85 and it was just beautiful relaxing on the beach feeling the sun on our bones! It didn’t take long to get toasty and back in the water we headed. We ordered from beach bar service, just a couple of beers and we requested a bar tab be opened.

Sitting on either side of us on the beach were cruise passengers as well. A couple on one side and a group of six on the other side. They too utilized the beach bar service.

The group of six opted to go up to the Sunset Grille to eat, as did my other half. Sunset Grille has now changed to a bbq place, no more yummy ahi tuna nachos, such a disappointment, but such is life, full of changes.

The group of six wound up being at the Grille most of the day, they never got to enjoy their loungers and umbrellas they rented, that’s just how slow the service was at the grille, not to mention they had some serious issues with their bill they were presented at the Grille. They were not happy cruisers.

My other half also was not too thrilled with the service he received at the Grille and the unfriendliness of the staff. This is a HUGE change from our previous visit here.

We decided around 4 pm to pack up and catch a taxi back to the ship to beat the crowds. We had to be back on board at 5:30.

We never saw the beach bar service gal again all afternoon so on our way out I stopped up at the bar to settle up our tab. She was nowhere to be found and the bartender had no open tab for us. We could have very easily left without paying, but that is not our style. I was able to tell the bartender what we had to drink and we settled up. I am not ashamed to say that I did NOT leave any tip! More than likely our next trip to St. Thomas we will be visiting or doing something else.

There were really long lines waiting to reboard, we witnessed a passenger being transported off the ship to an ambulance, we said a silent prayer for her recovery, not sure what had happened and never heard anything all week.

We got back to our cabin and showered and enjoyed a glass of wine on the balcony to watch sailaway and then headed up to the dining room for our 1st visit this cruise. We have anytime dining and we were in and out within an hour. Service was great, we got a table for 2 and we chatted with our table neighbors who also are from Florida right near where we used to live!

Food in the dining room was very good. I had the beef barley soup, double shrimp cocktail and the beef lasagna, my other half had a caesar salad and double shrimp cocktail and some seafood curry combo. We both passed on dessert as we were full.

Off to karaoke….the seas appeared to have calmed down for now. Apparently there was a group of Carnival Karaoke fans on this sailing and they were doing BtB with John Heald the following cruise. These folks are really into karaoke, and despite being talented singers it would have been nice to have additional folks get up there for some variety, but not me.

St. Thomas was a great day for us!

Up next…..San Juan!

Tuesday 1.30.18 St. Thomas!

Ship was still rockin and rollin however the sun was out and the winds had died down some we were hopeful for some warmer weather and looks like we are going to get a beautiful day!

Up next…..San Juan!

Thanks for the review! I am really enjoying it! We went to St Thomas and San Juan in 2011 and really want to go back. The detail you are sharing is very helpful!

Wednesday 1.31.18 San Juan - Quiet day for us, but so enjoyed it.

Room service was right on time and I headed up to the coffee bar to get out coffee.

We opted to stay on the ship today as we have been to San Juan previously. We enjoyed coffee on our balcony. We watched as two ambulances pulled up to Harmony of the Seas docked next to us. Two men left the ship on stretcher’s via ambulance. Wishing them speedy recovery. Mid morning we moved up to deck 5 to lounge. Normally I would hang out around the aft pool but there was a nice breeze on deck 5 and it was very quiet. Each time I had previously been up to the aft pool things were a bit out of control and not being patrolled by Carnival. Kids in the hot tubs with snorkels and masks and parents looking the other way. There are “warm” tubs on deck 5 and the showers as well if one needs to just cool down. While enjoying our relaxation time on deck 5 two more ambulances pulled up to Harmony of the Seas and two more people left in ambulances. Said a prayer for these two as well.

Highlight of our San Juan day was being able to watch Anthem of the Seas come into port between Carnival Magic and Harmony of the Seas. It was smooth as a baby’s bottom and just like threading a needle to get that big ship in between two already docked big ships.

Lunch was at Guy’s Burgers. After lunch I headed up to the spa for a few hours. The views of the old forts from up at the spa were amazing. Good time to be at the spa as it was quiet, but activity picked up the closer we got to sail away. I enjoyed sail away from the comfort of a heated lounger!

Dinner tonight was up on Lido as we weren’t very hungry. Daily ice cream cone followed as we headed off to karaoke. We retired to our cabin pretty early as there wasn’t much action at karaoke and we were ready for some down time.

Grand Turk here we come!

We were on this sailing too. My 15th cruise and definitely the rockiest we've ever experienced. Sounds like you had a bad cabin steward. Ours introduced herself within the first hour, gave us the turndown "menu", greeted us daily in the hall, and kept our ice bucket filled. We were on the first floor (cabin 1296). Overall a great cruise!

Thanks for your review. :) Was your cove balcony ever closed off due to the high winds and rough seas?

No our cove balcony was never closed due to rough seas and high winds; however I was sort of expecting that to happen.

One thing for sure everything on the balcony was covered with salt from all the spray so its best not to leave anything out there for long. We discovered this after leaving our binoculars out on the balcony.

We were on this sailing too. My 15th cruise and definitely the rockiest we've ever experienced. Sounds like you had a bad cabin steward. Ours introduced herself within the first hour, gave us the turndown "menu", greeted us daily in the hall, and kept our ice bucket filled. We were on the first floor (cabin 1296). Overall a great cruise!

Yes agreed we had a less than stellar cabin steward, but I felt that he was trying and knowing how hard they work for their families back home I was not willing to make a stink or report the lack of service. Guess I've become softer in my retirement!

Thursday - 2.1.18 Grand Turk!

Room service continues to be right on time and what a beautiful morning lounging on our balcony enjoying our coffee, the warmth of the sun and watching us approach Grand Turk. Our binoculars come in handy. We are scheduled in Grand Turk today from 12:30 - 5:30.

Approaching Grand Turk is simply beautiful, watching the waves break out over the wall off the coast. Grand Turk is home to the famous “wall” the 4000 foot drop off just off the port docking area.

Grand Turk is relatively small and known most for its salt ponds behind famous scuba diving. It is a port where the ships dock and it has availability for two ships. IMO two ships is one too many for this small port.

Besides Carnival Magic the P&O Azura was already docked when we arrived. The beach area was packed, it was like sugar ants everywhere there were so many people and that doesn’t include the cruisers who were up at Margaritaville!

We decided we were not going to be in a rush to debark and let the crowds die down. We usually hit the beach to the right of the dock but this time we decided to head left. The chairs and umbrellas were packed so close together there was barely room to walk. We found a spot on the beach to settle in and it was time to get into the water. Getting in and out of the water is very treacherous, lots of slippery rocks and with the waves breaking on your legs it was very easy to fall. Water temperature was very nice. Depth is another situation, you have to go out quite a ways to even get past your waist. They have the swimming area roped off and there is a local patrolling on a jet ski.

We met several fellow cruisers in the water and we enjoyed chatting with them. Being Floridians it is very easy to forget how northerners cruise in the winter to escape all the cold from up north. We also met a couple who are sailing on P&O Azura that was in port same time as us. We were very intrigued by the Azure as it looked like a really nice ship. The couple we chatted with was from Manchester England and they informed us this was their 3rd cruise on Azure! They were on a 14-day cruise that departed from Barbados. The Azure moves to Barbados in the winter to sail from there as the rest of the year they cruise from Europe. They explained that they board a bus in Manchester to the airport for an 8 hour flight to Barbados. Once their luggage is loaded onto the bus they never touch it again until it arrives in their cabin on the cruise ship! Very interesting for sure.

Vendors were walking up and down the beach offering their services, including a horseback ride at waters edge.

The weather was beautiful all day and we had a fantastic day on the beach. We decided to head back to the ship before all the crowds and we headed up to deck 10 for a bucket of beer and some pizza for a snack. As we were sitting on deck 10 we looked down at the dock as the crowds started to return to the ship. The lines were all the way backed up on the dock around the bend in the dock.

We headed down to our cabin for showers and relaxed on the balcony with some wine and watched the masses return to the ship. One change we noticed this cruise is that “back on board” times are listed but sailaway times are not listed. We did not see any pier runners at all during this cruise.

We made a reservation for Friday evening dinner at the Italian Specialty restaurant, which was new to us this cruise. Tonight we had dinner in the dining room. The service was a very different experience from earlier in the week wherein we were in and out in an hour, this time we waited an hour for our food! We both had swordfish and it was delicious! We even had dessert, I tried the special of the evening the s’more parfait and it was good while my partner had the chocolate melting cake. The s’more parfait was very light, opposite of the richness of the chocolate melting cake.

Due to the slow service in the dining room we were late arriving to the 7:30 comedy show and it was pretty much standing room only. New comedians had arrived as the previous comedians had departed. We stayed for the 8:30 show and we were able to get seats. Another first happened this evening! I ordered a Mocha Chocolate Getaway and when it was delivered and I tasted it, the chocolate was drizzled on the glass, along with the whipped cream and cherry on top but the drink tasted like a pina colada! Now I like pina colada but not with chocolate. I waved down our waiter and requested the drink be fixed. Come to find out our table neighbors were also drinking the same drink and shared with me that the exact same thing had happened to them the previous night, that their seemed to be an issue with whomever was making the drinks and their ability to make them correctly. Now our table neighbors had just had their Mocha Chocolate Getaways delivered and despite the taste being correct the ice was not crushed properly and they had huge chunks. One gal took both drinks back up to the bar to get them “fixed”. When she came back she shared that the bartender advised that he does not make these specialty drinks they are all made in a separate room by another person and he would take care of the situation.

Our waiter finally returned with my “fixed” drink and he asked me to taste it and I did and it was correct. The waiter responded to me that the drinks are made in the same blender as the pina coladas. My response to him was that I realize that but they should be rinsing out the blender between making different flavored beverages!

We really enjoyed all the comedians on the cruise, the Punchliner was always full and there were lots of laughs at all the shows.

The seas finally seemed to have calmed down some for our upcoming sea day.

Friday 2.2.18 Sea Day!

Our last full day on Carnival Magic and it’s a sea day and much calmer than the previous days of the week. Room service was right on time and I made my final trek up to deck 5 coffee bar to get our cafe Americana’s and I tipped Diane for taking such good care of us all week long. No matter how many people were standing in line she greeted each passenger with a smile and by name! After our coffee and a mini breakfast we headed up to the dining room for Sea Day Brunch to utilize our complimentary drink coupons as Platinum cruisers. Interesting that the coupons now have a value stated on them of $9 anything over and above you are charged for including gratuity and taxes. We both ordered Bloody Mary’s which are now priced at $10.25 so they cost each of us $1.44. I think it’s rather comical that Carnival needs to put a value limit on the complimentary drink coupon for Platinum cruisers.

Brunch was good and service was fast, food was served hot and we were in and out before I could even think about finishing my Bloody Mary so we took them back to the cabin with us.

I opted to head up to deck 5 to catch some rays and my partner opted to remain in the cabin all day.

I selected deck 5 because I wanted to get lunch from the Ocean Plaza salad bar where they had turkey wraps that looked yummy. I fixed a plate with a wrap and some fresh salsa and sat outside in the shade and enjoyed my lunch then went back to the sun and continued reading on my Kindle. Around 3 pm I decided to head up to the spa for one last time this week. I had a feeling it would be crowded but I managed to get in a couple of hours and especially enjoyed the heated relaxation loungers.

I headed back to the cabin as I needed to pack as we had a 5:30 pm reservation in the Italian specialty restaurant. We were going to do self-assist debarkation and it really took me very little time to pack. After so many cruises we have learned to pack light and I still had clothing that we never wore!

We were not sure what to expect at the Italian restaurant other than we had heard other cruisers throughout the week say that it was delicious. We were seated at a nice window table where we promptly watched people and crew attempting to walk by and being blown all around by the high winds out on deck 11.

The menu is not what you find in your Italian restaurants back home and I had to ask for an explanation. The menu is a wide variety of choices and we both opted to go for one of the Captain’s specials. All meals include an appetizer of your choice, a main course with one or two sides, we shared the side of eggplant parm and it was out of this world, not fried, baked! Dessert is also included but I was very disappointed that they no longer offer tiramisu my favorite. I had the chocolate special and even for me it was more chocolate than I could handle and that’s saying something. My partner had an apple caramel crumble. Both desserts were over the top. The up charge is $15 pp and we highly recommend a trip here, well worth the food and the service. We will visit again on future cruises for sure.

We finished out our final sea day and last full day of our cruise at the comedy club.

Saturday - 2.3.18

Since we were doing self debarkation we had to be up early and have Room Service delivered at the earliest available time and suffer thru with Carnival coffee as the Coffee Bar does not open until 7 am and we would be heading off the ship before that time. Self debarkation was painless. For anyone who has yet to sail out of Port Canaveral be advised that it is a rather long walk from the entrance/exit of the ship to the entrance/exit of the terminal so you need to be prepared. Going thru customs was easy as well. No longer is it required to complete the “form” unless you spend in excess of $800, simply show your passport and move on thru! We exited the terminal and the Park N Cruise van was right there waiting. There were a few others on this ride back to the Park N Cruise terminal but several departed at Residence Inn to pick up their vehicles.

We were home in SIlver Springs, FL by 9:30 am, got the luggage inside and I was tired so took a nice shower and a long nap, unpacking can wait.

Overall it was a good week, starting off with 3 rough sea days but not unbearable, could have been a lot worse. It was the first cruise in 20+ that we did not tip our room steward extra. All the crew were very friendly. The weather turned out to be very nice beginning on Tuesday thru the remainder of the week.

It was the first cruise wherein we noticed the “cutbacks” that many are talking about that Carnival appears to have implemented. Life is all about change and it is everywhere so we will not let it deter us from future cruises.

Too many we are probably “boring” cruisers, as we don’t gamble, we often don’t attend the main shows or partake in a lot of the activities on board the ship. Been there done that and now we enjoy our time on the ship and visiting new to us ports or ports we have visited many times. We realize that for many cruisers taking a cruise is a once a year vacation so they want to pack in all they can, been there done that, when we were working, but now that we are retired we are seriously enjoying life in the slow lane!

Next cruise is March 10th out of Miami on Carnival Vista visiting new to us ports Aruba & Curacao!

After that November 3rd out of Port Canaveral on Carnival Breeze 14 days visiting several new to us ports!

Question...did you order just coffee or breakfast too the last morning when you debarked the ship? We were on the week before you and were told no more room service the morning the boat docks. I was a bit disappointed as room service is usually our wake up call that morning before we head out.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

Question...did you order just coffee or breakfast too the last morning when you debarked the ship? We were on the week before you and were told no more room service the morning the boat docks. I was a bit disappointed as room service is usually our wake up call that morning before we head out.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Forums mobile app

We ordered coffee and Danish from room service for 6 am delivery. Delivered right on time