Directions for walking from Victoria Station (tube) to Victoria Coach Station

NoWhiners

Hi all

We will be taking some tours that leave from Victoria Coach Station when we visit London in May. I know it is a few blocks, and I have been studying Google maps trying to figure out the route. I'm not sure what to do.

It appears as though we could exit Victoria Station, turn left and walk straight down Buckingham Palace Rd (A3214) to Elizabeth St, then turn right and Victoria Coach Station should be right there. But, I can't tell if you can actually exit to Buckingham Palace Rd? (Is the proper terminology to use the street names or the numbers (A3214 for example)?) Are there signs that show you where to exit to get to certain streets (even the US has these!). I'm just not sure which streets are correct?

It also appears we could exit to Bridge PL turn right and then take Belgrave Rd (A3213) to Buckingham Palace Rd to Elizabeth St.

Can anyone enlighten me, please? :confused:

Thanks

ML

Here are a couple of videos that might help. The first shows how to get from the tube to the main line station above, and the second shows the walk to the coach station.

Streets in London are almost always referred to by name. Note that it is important to use the whole name and to correctly use street, road etc. So Buckingham Palace Rd and Elizabeth St. are correct. When searching it helps to add the first part of the postcode or the district - SW1 or Victoria - as there are many duplicate names. You should also note that while the underground rail system is generally known as 'the tube' any signs will say 'underground'

Here are a couple of videos that might help.

Streets in London are almost always referred to by name. Note that it is important to use the whole name and to correctly use street, road etc. So Buckingham Palace Rd and Elizabeth St. are correct. When searching it helps to add the first part of the postcode or the district - SW1 or Victoria - as there are many duplicate names. You should also note that while the underground rail system is generally known as 'the tube' any signs will say 'underground'

Bob

Thank you for these videos, I will check them out tomorrow. Thanks also for the info on how to refer to streets and do searches. I was never sure about the SW1 part, so nice to finally know. And 'underground' is good to know also. :)

ML

Other than the fact that it made me dizzy, this video shows the route that I would recommend. Most of it is, in fact, also the way to my dentist (who I would also recommend, if necessary).

However, at the "wrong" time of the day, the station concourse can be extremely busy. If it is, then walking along Buckingham Palace Road outside the station can be a less risky route.

Here are a couple of videos that might help. The first shows how to get from the tube to the main line station above, and the second shows the walk to the coach station.

I will be coming from Heathrow to Victoria underground stop. From the first video, looks like there is about 20-25 steps to carry up luggage (escalator first and then stairs). Is there a lift to get to street level from Victoria tube station? Thanks.

Edited by katrina915

I will be coming from Heathrow to Victoria underground stop. ... Is there a lift to get to street level from Victoria tube station?
I believe that there now is, but it's only to/from the Victoria Line and only to the Cardinal Place entrance. I haven't used that entrance myself. Going via Wikipedia points to this spot, but I suspect that the entrance to the Tube may be closer to the junction with Bressenden Place. In any event, it's well to the wrong side of Victoria station if you're heading to the coach station.

If you're carrying luggage, where are you actually heading first?

If you're going to a hotel first, then it would be better to work out your journey from Heathrow to your hotel.

However, if you are taking your luggage with you and then putting it straight on to a coach for a tour that departs from the coach station, then you may be better off getting a coach from Heathrow to the coach station rather than taking the Tube to Victoria and then trying to walk from there. Victoria Tube station was never much good for people with lots of luggage, and the new Cardinal Place entrance probably doesn't make it any easier in many situations.

If I remember correctly,there’s signage directing you to the coach station exit (Buckingham Road)

We usually take the escalator up and exit by the Sainsbury convenience store. Turn right to the corner and then cross the street left and the coach station a block or two on the right side.

Lots of people heading that way with luggage.

...You should also note that while the underground rail system is generally known as 'the tube' any signs will say 'underground'

Thanks Bob, the video's are very helpful (and I agree with Globaliser, it does make one a tad dizzy!). I'm feeling a lot better about getting to and from the coach station now.

ML

Other than the fact that it made me dizzy, this video shows the route that I would recommend. Most of it is, in fact, also the way to my dentist (who I would also recommend, if necessary).

However, at the "wrong" time of the day, the station concourse can be extremely busy. If it is, then walking along Buckingham Palace Road outside the station can be a less risky route.

Made me dizzy too :) If we need a dentist while visiting, we may be in touch!

I think we will be there at the wrong time of day one way for our trip. We are taking a tour bus to Stonehenge one morning and have to be there by 8:15 to board. So, I am guessing it will take us some time to get from Waterloo to Victoria, then the walk to the coach station.

Do you think it would take more than 45 minutes to make this trip? I am hoping that we can leave Waterloo around 7:30 and have enough time to find and catch our bus.

ML

If I remember correctly,there’s signage directing you to the coach station exit (Buckingham Road)

We usually take the escalator up and exit by the Sainsbury convenience store. Turn right to the corner and then cross the street left and the coach station a block or two on the right side.

Lots of people heading that way with luggage.

Yes, from the videos this appear to be the case. And it showed the exit by Sainsbury too.

Thanks

ML

I loved the video showing how to get from Victoria tube station up to the rail station.

Now if I could just get someone to do this for me at Waterloo. I have posted threads

to that effect on the Forums for British Isles and also for MSC Cruises. Can Bob++

possibly help with this? We will have luggage, so easiest way from Waterloo Jubilee Line

arriving at Waterloo Tube Station up to the Rail Station. We will be departing on a

Southwestern Train to Southampton from Track 4, I believe. Thank you.

Or, as you're staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo, you could just take the 211 bus, which should take you virtually door to door from your hotel to Victoria coach station.

Agree, bus is the best way! We have done this route with luggage and it is much easier than the underground.

I loved the video showing how to get from Victoria tube station up to the rail station.

Now if I could just get someone to do this for me at Waterloo. ... We will have luggage, so easiest way from Waterloo Jubilee Line arriving at Waterloo Tube Station up to the Rail Station.

You actually really don't need a video for getting out of either Tube station.

But FWIW, from Waterloo Tube Jubilee Line, you simply follow the "Way Out" signs towards the mainline station (usually indicated by the word "Trains" and the red "crow's foot" National Rail symbol - see the photo below). I'm pretty sure it's escalator up, then escalator up. This will get you to ticket hall/street level. Pass through the gate line, and then you'll need to go ahead and to your right to take an escalator up to mainline concourse level.

You can see all of that in the diagram at the bottom (clicky to the original) will give you an idea (ignore the long passageway to the right that leads to the Bakerloo Line - you don't need that).

2mwyxjm.jpg

ehxfe8.jpg

[Clicky.]

Or, as you're staying at the Premier Inn Waterloo, you could just take the 211 bus, which should take you virtually door to door from your hotel to Victoria coach station.

Agree, bus is the best way! We have done this route with luggage and it is much easier than the underground.

Taking the bus is brilliant, never even thought of it! But, where do we catch the bus (is the schedule on the TFL site--I'll check)? Also, we will be going at rush hour, so how much time should we allow to get from hotel to Victoria Coach Station? We will have Oyster cards, so good to go. Won't bus travel be slow at rush hour across central London?

Thanks for the additional help

ML

Taking the bus is brilliant, never even thought of it! But, where do we catch the bus (is the schedule on the TFL site--I'll check)? Also, we will be going at rush hour, so how much time should we allow to get from hotel to Victoria Coach Station? We will have Oyster cards, so good to go. Won't bus travel be slow at rush hour across central London?

Thanks for the additional help

ML

Well yes, the bus will have to deal with traffic, which isn't an issue on the tube. But once you take into account all the extra walking taking the tube will require (not just to and from the stations, but also within the stations), you probably come out even. In terms of timing and schedules, I usually use Google maps to figure out my buses (along with the stop I need), and the advantage is that the times it gives takes into account traffic. Also, once at the bus stop there are usually electronic signs that tell you what buses are coming when, so if there seems to be a delay on the 211 you can always bail and go the tube route.

Well yes, the bus will have to deal with traffic, which isn't an issue on the tube. But once you take into account all the extra walking taking the tube will require (not just to and from the stations, but also within the stations), you probably come out even. In terms of timing and schedules, I usually use Google maps to figure out my buses (along with the stop I need), and the advantage is that the times it gives takes into account traffic. Also, once at the bus stop there are usually electronic signs that tell you what buses are coming when, so if there seems to be a delay on the 211 you can always bail and go the tube route.

Thanks for this. I did some checking on the TFL site and did find the 211 bus route. I tried working out the time between Waterloo York Rd and Victoria Coach station but I must be doing something wrong. I keep getting 'from Victoria Coach Station in the direction of Hammersmith (or something like that, can't remember now). I will try again tomorrow.

I do like the tube as a backup plan idea. Good thinking ;)

Thanks

ML

The question is this thread now seems to be, ‘Best way to get from Premier Inn Waterloo to Victoria Coach station?’ If that’s right, there is no way you should be going to Waterloo Station, which is a 5-10 minute walk in the wrong direction.

Bus - the 211 stops right outside your hotel (this is the County Hall stop on the timetable - https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/timetable/211?fromId=490005646G&intervalId=0&selectedDate=mondaytofriday )

Tube - it makes much more sense to walk over the bridge to Westminster and simply take the District & Circle from there to Victoria

My instinct is that the tube and walk will be slightly quicker at rush hour, but it’s not a journey I have ever made. The bus is door-to-door, but takes about 25 minutes according to the timetable (and the frequency is less than the tube).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

The question is this thread now seems to be, ‘Best way to get from Premier Inn Waterloo to Victoria Coach station?’ If that’s right, there is no way you should be going to Waterloo Station, which is a 5-10 minute walk in the wrong direction.

Bus - the 211 stops right outside your hotel (this is the County Hall stop on the timetable - https://tfl.gov.uk/bus/timetable/211?fromId=490005646G&intervalId=0&selectedDate=mondaytofriday )

Tube - it makes much more sense to walk over the bridge to Westminster and simply take the District & Circle from there to Victoria

My instinct is that the tube and walk will be slightly quicker at rush hour, but it’s not a journey I have ever made. The bus is door-to-door, but takes about 25 minutes according to the timetable (and the frequency is less than the tube).

This is another good option, thanks. I did see that the bus stop is close and the bus has some advantages and only 1 disadvantage--overground at rush hour :)

If we left an hour for the trip on the bus, do you think that leaves enough time? Not asking you to predict the future or anything, just trying to get a handle on how early we should catch the bus, to be ready to go at the coach station at 8:15. Thanks for the link too. Yesterday, I couldn't get it to display the times bewteen stops.

ML

Edited by NoWhiners
typos

This is another good option, thanks. I did see that the bus stop is close and the bus has some advantages and only 1 disadvantage--overground at rush hour :)

If we left an hour for the trip on the bus, do you think that leaves enough time? Not asking you to predict the future or anything, just trying to get a handle on how early we should catch the bus, to be ready to go at the coach station at 8:15. Thanks for the link too. Yesterday, I couldn't get it to display the times bewteen stops.

ML

I am pretty conservative when it comes to timing, and I would be comfortable with that schedule.

I am pretty conservative when it comes to timing, and I would be comfortable with that schedule.

Thanks. I am a little concerned that it takes 25 minutes off-peak, so I expect peak travel time to be a lot longer. I hope doubling the time is enough!

ML

Just re-read this. I started the thread asking for walking directions from Victoria Station to Victoria Coach station but people that are more familiar with travel in London (like you) have also provided other options. Looking back on it, your re-phrasing of the question is probably where I should have started!

Thanks

ML

ML

It would take considerably short of an hour to walk from your hotel to the coach station, so put that as your Plan C, if you see people consistently walking faster than your bus is moving [emoji846]

But for ease of mind allow yourself something like that and have a coffee in Victoria (hopefully).

Just re-read this. I started the thread asking for walking directions from Victoria Station to Victoria Coach station but people that are more familiar with travel in London (like you) have also provided other options. Looking back on it, your re-phrasing of the question is probably where I should have started!

Thanks

ML

You are far from unique in this. Many threads start off by asking the wrong question. That's the great thing about this site - you eventually get a solution.